TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point Seasonal Job

SharkTums

I know a few people on the board have done it and hopefully they will respond.

The CP Dorms are very 'active'. You'll work a lot. You'll have a good time. No credit.

Both programs have their positives and negatives, work where you want to.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did it for four years and wouldn't change it for the world. The amount of friends I've made (and still have) mean so much to me. Probably wouldn't do it again mostly for the pay (or lack there of really) and the whole working up to 80 hours a week (YAY Dragster!) is a serious investment in time and sanity. Keep in mind your outside doing manual labor most of the time for the majority of positions.

There are different types of housing (varying in price from really really cheap to still cheap but with A/C!) and the meals you have to pay for yourself out of your own pocket. Housing is decent, nothing too special but it's all about the people you end up living and working with that will make or break your summer.

I could write entire essays on different aspects of working at that park, so if you have any other questions feel free to ask, I know there are a few more people on here that have done the whole slave labor for a summer at CP.

Cedar Point may be overrated, but that program sounds cool. How many other parks do stuff like that?

I have heard the tales of how many hours opps work per week so the above statement of "up to 80" doesn't surprise me a bit. I totally believe it, because I have heard it from so many people.

I hate how some ride opps don't take their jobs seriously, however. I guess most teenagers do the same thing if they can get away with it, and why not? All I know is if I ever got the chance to learn more about how coasters opperate, I would soak up every minute of it.

And if someone asked me, "Is it to scarry for my kid?" I'd hit them with a nice ride review and tell them where it ranked in my top 10

^I worked there one summer too, and I must say, it was an awesome experience. However, if it's something you want to do, you have to be going just for the experience. If you don't want to have to work while you're in school, CP is definitely not the job for you because you won't make any money. As Hector said, it's not uncommon to work 70-80 hour weeks, but you also get paid below minimum wage (clause in Ohio state law) and you don't get paid overtime (clause in Ohio state law). Then you have to pay for rent, which isn't that bad (about $30 a week) and you'll have to eat most of your meals at restaurants so that takes a lot of money.

With that said though, I reiterate that it was an awesome experience that I also wouldn't trade for anything. Because of the hours you work, you become very close with your crew and almost become like family. Some of the friendships I formed during my three months there are some of the best and strongest friendships I have today. At the end of the summer, I had an awesome experience, awesome stories, awesome friends, and absolutely no money, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

As for your questions:

Do you get to pick which ride you would like to work at or are they randomly assigned?

It depends on how your interview goes. I didn't get to pick, while I found out some other people did. It just depends. On a separate note, if after a few weeks you aren't happy with your ride but have done a decent/good job, you can ask to be moved to another ride (usually needs to be within one of the four zones your assigned ride is in) and if they can make it work, then you'll get moved. Chances are you'll get moved halfway through the summer anyway.

Which housing do you recommend?

I was recommended the 1400's and I loved it. For how little you are there, it worked great for me. It's just a dorm style room, but it had AC and was cheaper than the apartment style rooms (that I wasn't terribly impressed with).

Do you think it is likely that they would hire me from out of state (Alabama) with only 2 jobs prior (Carmike Cinemas for 2 months and a crew leader at Chick Fil A for 8 months)?

Yes, residency has nothing to do with it. Plus, the fact that you are a crew leader at a restaurant looks good. On top of that, I heard from a few friends working there this past summer that they were fairly understaffed, so I doubt you'll have a problem.

If you still want to do it, be sure and apply early. They usually open the application in December.

^The interview will be over the phone.

Also, a few notes about money. First, I should probably mention that I did some fun stuff like a few road trips that summer so that's part of the reason I didn't walk away with very much money at the end. Second, if you aren't dead set on working a ride, then you might consider trying to get a job waiting, as I know the people who work as waiters at places like Johnny Rocket's, Famous Dave's, and TGI Friday's make ridiculous cash. Seeing how it's a huge tourist spot, people come and throw their money around. So that's one option to think about if you want to try and make a little more cash. Though, I assume you probably want to work a ride, which I completely understand.

Oh, and your badge doubles as a Cedar Fair season pass.

^I was originally assigned Turnpike Cars/Calypso, but I requested a move to Millennium Force and was granted it after a few weeks, so that became my permanent ride. I also got sent to Raptor, Mantis, and Wildcat every now and then. All were fun rides, though I definitely preferred MF (though it's the most stressful of those) and Raptor. But really, the crew can make the difference in the world. An awesome crew can make a bad ride a lot of fun.

You'll mostly be living with other college students or kids your age. That's half the fun. There aren't a lot of older people working seasonal positions, and of the few there are, most live with friends from previous seasons or live in Sandusky.

^I applied in early December and I got a phone interview about a week or two later. As far as knowing what ride you'll work, that again, depends on how the interview goes. I was told at the end of the interview that I got the job, but wasn't told what ride I'd be working. A few weeks later, I got a package in the mail that revealed the ride. However, if they ask you what ride you want to work, chances are, you'll probably know what ride you are working before you hang up the phone.

I, too, worked seasonally at CP for two summers. I think it would be a great idea for you -- it's a fun summer job that can help you get your foot in the door for a possible future career in the industry. It can also help you determine if you like the lifestyle of working for a seasonal theme park to decide if it is something you want to pursue. Worked for me!

Like you will hear from most everyone there are really fun times, really dramatic times and times where you are dead exhausted...but in the end it's worth it. I don't think you'd regret giving it a shot for the summer.

I worked on Raptor crew for two summers. And I'll echo what everyone already said......do it for the experience. They pay is barely above minimum wage (was $6.25/hr in 2002, got an extra $1/hr for every hour worked if you stayed the length of your contract), but the long hours make the paycheck decent. Unless things have changed, the average was closer to 54-60 hours/week. With weeks in early summer being as much as 74-80 hours (depending which ride you worked and when you could leave if you closed). You only get 1 day off a week.

I met some of my best friends those two summers, and I still keep in contact with many of them, and visit them whenever I can. Some of my fondest memories come from times spent in the park after work, sitting at Louie's, going out to the X, and being at Steak 'N Shake until way too late. Oh and 1am trips to Meijer's. (If this doesn't make sense, don't worry, it does to those that worked there).

If you interview, you should have a good idea where you'll be working by the time you hang up. It usually take them a few weeks to first call you, but after they do, the interview happens right then and there. They'll send you a contract shortly after with which ride you'll be working. If the interview goes well, and you mention rides you'd most like to work, you may very well get your choice.

Dorms are SUPER cheap. But my advice is to go with Commons dorms. The apartments are more spacious, but only the living room is air conditioned, and you have to deal with a lot more personalities. I would only suggest the apartments if you already know a lot of people working there, and they're holding a spot for you. Commons dorms are limited to 4 people and most of the buildings have A/C now I think. Plus, the bathrooms don't get disgusting since CP cleans them instead of your roommates and yourself.

Food and Booze are the only big expenses once you're there. If you can limit your spending on those, you can save a nice chunk of change. The cafeteria was very reasonably priced, and drinks at Louie's were dirt cheap. You just can't go eat out and head to the bar every night if you want to save money. It's hard to resist since the plethora of college students working there makes it like a dorm party all the time.

My checks were usually around $250-300 per week after taxes and housing were taken out. My bonus at the end of the summer was like $700. So you could easily take home $2-3k if you budget yourself.

Hope that all helps..........

(P.S. Raptor Crew is where it's at)

Some of my fondest memories come from times spent in the park after work, sitting at Louie's, going out to the X, and being at Steak 'N Shake until way too late. Oh and 1am trips to Meijer's. (If this doesn't make sense, don't worry, it does to those that worked there).

Ha, yep, you just summed up what the entire summer outside of work is like. Good ol' Thursday and Sunday nights at Louie's! Did you hit up Diana's? The food is so mediocre and overpriced, but for some reason, I still went there multiple times. Probably 'cause the only late night food options were it, Steak 'n' Shake, Friendly's, and Taco Bell.

And for the record, as of last year, they bumped the wage up to $6.75 an hour (though minimum wage in Ohio is now $6.85) and the bonus is only 50 cents per hour.

Just want to toss in a few more words, They hired me at the age of 17, I've always lived here in California, and it was my first job. Unfortunately because of my age and availability that first year, I worked in games, but it definitely gave me what I needed to come back at least one more year (which turned into 3) in rides. The first year I was assigned Power Tower (2003) and for the most part was there and Magnum most of the summer (One random day during training week, they were having TTD's media day so they sent PT and Corkscrew's crews over to Magnum to train... ouch for being my first lift walk ever...) The first two years were also the only two years I actually had an interview, the last two I just applied and eventually got my contract in the mail lol.

I also want to point out that if you're a good worker and want more hours (since there is no overtime, they really don't care how many hours you work up to 80 when hey do send people home) you could easily get cross trained on most any ride in the park. There's a shorter list of rides I didn't work rather then actually worked.

As for housing, I was always a fan of the 1500's (commons Dorms on the list same as 1400's) as the building had two wings of female rooms except for one floor on one of the wings, but that had much more to do then with the people I was living with. Plus housing was free after labor day!

I am very interested in this also. Out of the coasters, which would be the easiest (other than Woodstock Express and Jr. Gemini) and what would be the hardest to operate?

Easiest are probably Raptor, Disaster Transport, Gemini, or either of the woodies.

Hardest is fairly arguable. Wildcat is pretty difficult because it's very hectic and physical. Most people don't realize that the person who "catches" the car as they come into the brakes does just that... they are responsible for helping the cars slow down. They also have a foot pedal that they must use to control the brakes once the riders are out of the car. They then have to push the car past the brakes and then prepare for the next car. The cars are a lot heavier than you think, and if you don't clear the empty car in time, then it triggers the block brakes and the entire coaster sets up. You also have to try and pair people together right before they load the car and you have to get rid of the people that have large loose items... right before they get on. It's all very hectic and loud, which adds to the difficulty. It's a really fun ride, but will definitely give you your exercise.

Iron Dragon can be difficult because the trains also have to be dispatched in a very short time, otherwise, the block brakes activate and the trains all set up on each lift hill.

Mantis can be difficult because you have to make sure riders stand straight up, but most really don't want to do that. It's very easy to get written up if one of your rider's seat isn't properly positioned. It's even harder when you have to spiel info over the head set and do this. Plus, the controls are insane for it. There is a separate release button for every single row on the train.

Millennium Force is a fairly simple ride, but is hard just because the stress. It's one of the most popular coasters there and everybody wants to ride it, but the seat belts limit a lot of those people and you have to be the one to tell them they can't ride. Whenever you are stationed at the test seat, you have to ask anybody you find questionable in size to try the test seat. You can probably imagine how well that goes over. You also can't allow any loose items in the line. That doesn't go over well either. So, though the ride is a lot of fun to work (my personal favorite), you have to be strong willed because you will get cussed out a lot. If you can take the punishment though, it's worth it.

If I was going to work a coaster at Cedar Point I would choose Disaster Transport cause it's indoors!

And it's air conditioned! But by the middle of the summer, when everybody has a wicked tan, the DT crew is still pasty!

None of the coasters are really "hard" they all have their little things about them. Corkscrew has the arrow dance (/ Popping pedals/ releasing and locking harnesses) lots of jumping around to get the train sent and now with the seat belt (oy!); Dragsters like MF with the added bonus of downtime on top of it; Woodstock's Express has one of the most annoying seat belt "covers" that have to be manually released; Jr. Gemini you're in the whole childern's area, same goes for Woodstock in Camp Snoopy, but it's a LOT less hampton's buzzing; Raptor, Magnum, Gemini, (maverick?) Iron Dragon, You have to move fast to keep up with interval; Mantis is a total bit... witch but it really can be a lot of fun; Mean Streak has bugs; Blue Streak you have to catch the trains to transfer off; Disaster Transport's A/C can (and does) break plus you have to do trough walks and if it's wet it's VERY slippery and dark; Wicked Twister is right on the beach so when those nice strong storms roll trough you'll end up with sand EVERYwhere; Wildcat is physical (as already described); Mine Ride has those single restraints which are really fun when it's one big person in that car...

Honest, and best answer I can give you. If you really need to make money during the summer you might not want to do it. CP Just pays so low, and only the bigger rides will have the hours. I was working 76-78 pretty common.

Is it worth it. Yes. I'm glad I did do it. I only wish I did it when I was younger, man I could of gotten into lots of trouble.

The friends and contacts you will make are lifelong memories. Not to mention the view of guests from an operations stand point, priceless. (Screwing with guests in a professional manor is exceptable, and very enjoyable, not to mention the chance to rack ace members on a standup coaster)

Housing. Like others have said, it really is a crap shoot. It depends on who your roommates are. Just watch what you bring with you. The wrong roommates and you will get ripped off.

Dorms are just that, shared dorms with public rest rooms and showers.

If you can transfer to a coaster,

* Raptor is the best. Very easy to op, fast paced, and just fun. Best place to watch the storms roll in across the water. Rides favorite number is #30.

* Mantis is fun but control layout sucks and will hurt after a while, patience is very much required, should be fast paced or you have a crummy crew. Buy lots of cheap sun glasses, you will lose them on on the evil spiral staircase of doom over the water. grrr.

* MF, slow moving pace since it's always stacked, better to ride then work. A bad crew makes it even worse. (Sorry, but even my sup's said it was too slow paced for me when I transfered.)

* Iron Dragon, Evil, boring, and damn hot during the summer with lots of bending over and rushing on 1 unload.

* Wicked, slow paced, fun to op, and fun to pull back into the station.

* Mean Streak, ok no offense! Most the people I have known to work that coaster where strange.

Other then that. It's fun so go for it if you can, but again do not plan on making money from your summer. If you complete your contract the bonus is a nice extra but since it's a one lump some the gov. eats a nice chunk of it.

Wait a min?? You have to stand up on Mantis?

MF is a cake walk. You want guest experiences you want Mantis.

Mantis is also best for guest revenge. "hehehe, wait I didn't say that"

Good luck.

Mantis/Raptor 02.

If you honestly hate where you are working, discuss it with your supervisor. I know/knew most of them and they are all great people who for the most part will work with you to make you happy, aka not quit. Especially with the lack of a bonus to really keep people there like when it was double.

CP will hire almost any and everyone. There were more then a few times I would literally fear for peoples (mostly the little kids) lives.

Like RCFreak said, if they have a pulse they will hire you for something.

And not sure if anyone touched on this subject. But since you want to meet girls while working stay away from Cedars for housing.

If history is still correct that is still same sex interested mostly. Fyi.

Nothing wrong with that by any means but I remember a ton of the foreigners who came in, and lived in Cedar’s I gather had a pretty decent shock to the system sort of speak.

Bayside is a great location. One of the older units to live in but not as old as Cedars. It is also the easiest to sneak stuff in like pets, liquor, etc. But again if you get caught, you’re screwed or fired. (Near end of season they usually go on a firing binge too so be social with all the right people, and your sup’s) CP is an easy park to network if you are social and hit it off with the right people.

Remember apartments have kitchens, dorms do not. Having a fridge, sink, and oven is the best and much cheaper then all microwavable dinners.

Don’t worry about meeting girls; its easier then spring break in FL. For the most park dating at CP is like a hit and run accident. That’s as far as I’m going with that one.

When I and a friend both worked at CP at the same time the girl he met, he his now married to and has a kid (Ref above statement, he hit but forgot to run.. Just kidding). And me and my ATL/TL from Raptor have been living together since 02. (I advise against in crew mating tho. To much drama and bs. If you go that route keep it very DL, or wait to end of season)

Also underage drinking, or being drunk on grounds at housing will and can get you canned, even being caught with. Keep that in mind.

As for the 1-2k then you’re cool. Your bonus after taxes should still be in the range of 1150 – 1400 unless they really cut hours back. If you drive, everything is very close so you will not need to fill up the tank every other day or anything like that. My mustang I had then I would say needed gas like every 2-3 weeks, sometimes longer.

Keep us posted and let us know what you get.

^Well, you would be surprised. If you are a hard worker and do everything by the book, depending on how things unfold, it's possible to get promoted. A friend of mine got promoted to ATL (assistant team leader) at Wildcat during his first year by way of the previous TL and ATL's getting promoted.

^One of my good friends became ATL at Demon Drop her first year as well.

Oh, I would echo that Raptor, DT, WT, and Power Tower are the easiest on your back. No bending over to check restraints. Of course after a few weeks, you don't notice that stuff anyways. Probably the same with MaxAir and Skyhawk now as well.

AVOID SKY RIDE. It eats people. Saw so many people get injured on that ride (dislocated shoulders, broken arms, etc...) because you have to catch the weight of the cabins when they come in, and it's really easy to get crushed in between them if you're not being careful. Especially during a shut down.

I worked WWL, and the Chaos/Troika/Himalaya triangle when I first started. I was contracted for WWL, but they were overstaffed and the flat ride triangle needed help. So I spent 2 weeks there, and then went to WWL. But I was hating it, the hours sucked (opened late, fully staffed, meaning 45-50 hours/week if lucky), and it was boring (1/2 your day just watching boats float by). So I talked to my manager, and the zone 1 manager (since I already knew him) and managed to get transferred over to Raptor. I loved it there, and went back to work it again my second year.

Like Hector said there's plenty of opportunity to cross train and pick up extra hours, and there's also a good chance you'll be sent to other rides on occasion for a day when someone is missing. I subbed in at Snake River Falls, Antique Cars, Blue Streak, Sky Ride, Power Tower, Sky Ride, and Disaster Transport over my time there. Going to another ride is a nice change of pace, but I much preferred staying the same place. You get to know those rides REALLY well. Even to the point where I could guess error codes when the ride went down.