Hersheypark Announces Fahrenheit!

All 14 Photos - Page 85!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Hersheypark Announces Fahrenheit!

Postby Meteornotes » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:52 am

Here's the official announcement: http://www.hersheypa.com/attractions/he ... /index.php

(HERSHEY, PA) — Hersheypark hosted a record-breaking Centennial season in 2007 as guests were introduced to The Boardwalk at Hersheypark, the perfect spot to cool off. Now the heat is on as construction begins on the Park’s 11th roller coaster, “Fahrenheit,” which is scheduled to open next May. The new ride will cost approximately $12.1 million.

Known in the industry as a “vertical lift inverted loop coaster,” Fahrenheit will position riders on their backs as the coaster train begins a 90-degree ascent to the summit of a 121- foot lift. As the cars crest the hill, riders will lean forward and see no track visible below— only open space— before plummeting down a staggering 97-degree first drop, the deepest drop of any coaster in the United States.

The coaster cars will feature stadium seating, which will elevate riders who sit in the cars behind the front row and offer them an unobstructed view of the steep descent.

At the bottom of the first hill, the coaster will be traveling at 58 mph as it begins an ascent that will then drop riders into a 107-foot inverted loop. Coming out of the inverted loop, the track will twist though an inverted corkscrew roll, a cobra, an airborne inverted S roll and a second inverted corkscrew roll. Just as riders think they are slowing down, they will experience an airtime hill, a high-speed/banked curve, a second airtime hill and a final high-speed/banked curve before arriving back in the station.

Traveling over more than 2,700 feet of steel track in 85 seconds, Fahrenheit will feature three four-person vehicles per train and a capacity of about 850 people per hour.

The ride was designed and is being built by IntaRide LLC , the company that brought the famous Storm Runner roller coaster to Hersheypark in 2004. It will be located adjacent to The Boardwalk at Hersheypark.
In keeping with the Park’s philosophy of offering something for every member of the family, a second new ride also is set to debut for the 101st season of Hersheypark.

“Howler” is a “tornado” ride that allows riders to spin their cars to create their own ride experience. It has eight four-passenger, sphere-shaped cars that rotate counter-clockwise from a center base. As the rotation reaches 10 rpm, the ride lifts 7 ½ feet into the air at a 20-degree angle. The ride, manufactured by Wisdom Industries, Ltd., has a capacity of about 750 people per hour and will be located adjacent to the Rodeo ride in the Park’s Pioneer Frontier area.

For more information or to take a “virtual” ride on Fahrenheit, please visit Hersheypark.com. Hersheyparkwill open for its 101st season on May 2, 2008. Fahrenheit is expected to open on Saturday, May 24.

Speculation Thread Closed!

dt
08fahrenheitlogo.jpg
08fahrenheitlayout.jpg
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby deguy123 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:54 am

Awesome! Hersheypark always adds great rides, I can't wait to go next year and check this out.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:54 am

I bet CP's pissed, 2 degrees steeper than Maverick. :lolr:

This is going to have terrible capacity, 12 people per train, but only 3 trains. Maverick has double.
Steel: 142 | Wood: 41 | Total: 183

Last Coaster Ridden: Raptor at Cedar Point on 05/14/2017

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby ahecht » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:55 am

Okay, I admit it: I was wrong. Nantimi was legit. Let me just say that Hershey was really clumsy with this by not having an official trailhead to give this legitimacy (it could have been something as simple as "(C) Nantimi" on the bottom of the teaser page).

Oh, and having another ride that looks like Storm Runner (at least to the GP) is not a good move for them either. This has the same style track, the same trains (just shorter), and a tophat. But I guess now that Batman and Robin is coming down at SFGAdv, there needs to be some park with two tophat coasters.

I bet Gerstlauer is pissed. The vertical chain lift followed by a 97 degree drop is ripped straight from the Euro Fighter. Even the colors are similar to Speed.
speed1.jpg
Look familiar?
DISCLAIMER: Any information about rides presented here as fact has been taken from publicly available sources. The author readily admits that the rides may have been implemented differently than stated in the such sources. Any opinion statements are based on the author’s experience as a mechanical engineer and are not based on any insider knowledge or the wish to contradict those with such knowledge.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby redfoot12 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:56 am

850 riders per hour?
Yikes!
Looks like a fun ride though. If I don't make it to Hershey this year I'm definitely going to go next year.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby asr » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:57 am

This looks freakin' sweet. Did anyone else catch the weird bit on the pretzel loop were it banks one way then dives the opposite direction?

The capacity should be crap though.

Bubbles!

Postby ParkTrips » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:58 am

FeelTheFORCE wrote:This is going to have terrible capacity, 12 people per train, but only 3 trains. Maverick has double.

yeah, but how often do you see this?

Extra trains don't help capacity a whole lot when stacked, and Hershey won't stack 3 nearly as bad as CP stacked their 6.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby PAShawn » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:58 am

I was thinking the same thing, I like hershey and all and I am a season pass holder which was not going to renew next year anyway, I need a break from the place. This does not make me change my mind. It may shorten up the lines on storm runner though. I will get there a day next year and ride but will not go out of my way to ride it. Especially since alot of people do not like maverick which this seems to be the same type of design.

Thats my 2 Cents.

Edit: I have to admit also I thought nantimi was bogus as well.

Postby alpengeist04 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:00 am

^^^^The only thing that looks the same is the top hat.

Very cool looking coaster, a must ride in 2008 for me.

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:00 am

ParkTrips wrote:Extra trains don't help capacity a whole lot when stacked, and Hershey won't stack 3 nearly as bad as CP stacked their 6.

I would rather have a train waiting on the brake run, than having to wait for one to come around the course. I like how CP handles Maverick, sitting there didn't bother me at all. It's not like I'm in a hurry to get somewhere anyway. I've been walking and standing all day and really enjoy the time just sitting there relaxing and resting for another period of walking.
Steel: 142 | Wood: 41 | Total: 183

Last Coaster Ridden: Raptor at Cedar Point on 05/14/2017

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!