TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark 2008 - 'Lost meets the Maverick thread'

[To the mods: I know there was a thread made earlier, but it was locked since it seemed like pure "fanboy rumor." Do what you want with this topic if need be.]

Anyways, Screamscape posted something about Hershey's website having some teasers and sounds like another "hype machine" for a new ride announcement.

http://www.hersheypa.com/attractions/hersheypark/index.php

http://www.hersheypa.com/attractions/hersheypark/2008.php

All we know is "What's better than a perfect 10?" and that the announcement would be on October 2nd. I certainly hope its big.

Discuss on what could possibly be better than a perfect 10.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope that the rumored removal of Canyon River Rapids doesn't happen for this new ride. With SF taking the family approach, it seems strange everyone else seems to be going in the opposite direction with removing family rides for coasters, with CP removing WWL for Maverick and now possibly this.

If it is a 10 inversion coaster, I would hope it's a B&M sitdown or floorless rather than the Intamin 10 looper that is at Thorpe Park.

Yankees, I couldn't see them going for a Maverick type coaster with Storm Runner being so similar with the launch and inversions... but I could definately see them going with Intamin again for a project given the success of SR.

The observation I made is that Hersheypark claims to be home to 10 roller coasters, they count Lightning Racer as 1 attraction, so I'm leaning more towards the fact that this would be the 11th roller coaster, which is "better than a perfect 10". An 11 inversion roller coaster would be a massive undertaking, but anything's possible at this point.

Here's I think.

This will cause the removal of Western Chute Out, Rodeo, and possibly the Frontier Virtual Theatre. I don't think that Canyon River Rapids would be affected since it is a very popular water ride and removing it would be a terrible mistake. Some of the catering buildings behind Chute Out could be removed for some more room.

-Servey Markings.

A member from another site took pictures of some of the markings. They range from the area near the Merry Derry Dip Fun Slides, to the area behind Canyon River Rapids, near and behind the Claw, to all the way over in Minetown. Each of them look different from some looking like 1's to some that look like red backwards N's, to blue --- dashes, and also just dots with numbers. I kind of have a feeling that this is going to be big.

-What could it be?

Some of the things we heard was that it could be a Intamin multi looper like Derek said, but there also the chance of it being a B&M since I think the park signed a contract to build another coaster when they built GB. Right now, I think it could be a flying coaster since it's the most heard of. The answer could be shocking.

Well the "record" for inversions is 14 with the 4d in Japan, but the park uses the Blackpool Beech approach with records.

Even if it doesn't hold the record, I hope they come up with an interesting design and not just five barrel rolls to boost the count. While I would rather see a coaster like Dragon's Fury, a large multi-looper would be a nice change as few have been built since the 90s. While I'm not a big fan of this park, I have been pleased with their latest coaster creations, and hopefully they can create another decent coaster.

Didnt the GM of Hersheypark say in an interview a few months ago that Hershey isnt looking to build any massive crazy coasters that wouldnt be for the whole family!? Sounds like that was to throw us all off because this sounds pretty massive!

I can see it being an 11th coaster for the park, or a 10 + inversion coaster.. I have no idea how they are going to fit either one of them in there.

I'm still hoping for a hyper

"What's better than a perfect 10?"

A moving sidewalk from the park's entrance to Lightning Racer.

I'll second that--especially if they rip out that damn Vekoma Boomerang to make space for it (actually, that's the only really "bad" coaster in the park).

600' diving standup rocket wooden 4D.

You heard it here first.

----

Well, we can probably rule out a woodie, since they already have three. Definitely not a B&M invert or an Intamin launched anything (which eliminates most Intamins). Not an SLC. Probably not a water coaster. I doubt it's Turbulence. Most likely not an impulse, since Dorney in just down the road. I can't see them ever getting a 4D. Standups are out of style.

What does that leave?

Intamin mini-hyper?

B&M mini-hyper?

B&M Floorless?

Intamin looper (possibly too similar to Sooperdooper Looper)?

B&M sit-down?

B&M dive machine (please, God, please)?

B&M flyer?

S&S Screamin' Squirrel?

S&S launched?

Premier LIM coaster?

In other words, I think they'll get one of those things.

"What's better than a perfect 10?"

A moving sidewalk from the park's entrance to Lightning Racer.

I'll second that--especially if they rip out that damn Vekoma Boomerang to make space for it (actually, that's the only really "bad" coaster in the park).

I found Sidewinder to be the smoothest boomerang I have ever ridden.