Photo TR: Duinrell, Wassenaar (Netherlands)

Do a DuinrellDay, it'll make you feel okay! - 0.o
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Photo TR: Duinrell, Wassenaar (Netherlands)

Postby AJMouse » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:42 pm

Doe eens een duinrell een duinrell een duinrell dag daar kikker je van op!

free translation:
Do a duinrell a duinrell a duinrell day, it'll frog you up!

That's their commercial, mhehe.

About 11 or so years ago (maybe longer) we went to Duinrell in Wassenaar, Netherlands every year. Together with friends from my parents and their two children (Yvette, one year younger than me and Vincent, 3 years younger than my sister, Jocelin) we visited this park (which is about 1.5 hour drive from my hometown, which in the Netherlands is quite far away).

We loved this! But after 4 years of fun, we didn't go anymore. We even stopped seeing our friends. This year, only 3 weeks ago, Yvette contacted me as she found my mail address on a contactsite. We decided to meet up and talk (I'm 22 now). We had dinner the next weekend with her parents and mine. And that's when it happened: we decided to go to Duinrell. Yvette and I both have our drivers license now so our parents didn't have to come (they didn't want to).

The park was going to open at 10 a.m. so we tried to get away from home 8:30 a.m. (which became 9 a.m.). 10:30 we arrived at the park, and the ticketbooths were packed with people.. omg. We should've bought our tickets online. When we were at the front of the line, a teacher from Jocelin showed up and gave us 40% discount coupons on the ticketprice. So I was happy we didn't buy online. I think the tickets set us back about 10 euros (which included 2 hours in their 'Tikibad' which is their indoor waterpark/swimmingpool/slidebuilding).

After we got in, I started remembering things from ten years ago (so did Yvette). This park is really weird, it's like a bungalowpark//campsite and all the guests are paying guests or they walk around like campingguests.

We skipped the kiddie-park (which according to my parents we liked the most.. hehe) and went straight to the back of the park to the Toboggan (Rodelbaan). 10 years ago I was to small to ride this (Yvette wasn't and I used to cry about that, hehehe). But now, woohoo, I got to ride! It was quite funny how a small kid stood before me in line, and when he didn't get to ride, he started crying.. I told him, don't be afraid, you'll get your revenge.. I'm taking mine now! *which wasn't very nice I guess. The set up is very basic, and no safety stuff at all. The sign basically says, get in, watch out, and you're responsible, goodbye. On the 2nd ride we got Vincent's coat got stuck between the cart and the toboggan in a corner so he fell half out. Pretty scary, but he thought it was 'exciting', lol. Oh I got a picture of me owning the height-limit-pole, right back at ya stupid Duinrell.

Next up was the kiddie-coaster (and the only coaster in the park). No need to bring a kid on this one! I found the track to be unique to other kiddie-coasters, and scary too: Vincent (yes again) nearly bumped his head to the track above! I'm sure something like this wouldn't be allowed in America, or anywhere else for that matter. Also, the points where the G's were pretty high, they enforced the track with stone plates - weird.

After that we went to the 'Splash' which is a boat ride (open or closed) that goes up, takes a corner and goes down again, creating a big... splash. It's an okay ride. A spectacular splash, and when you go in the closed boat I think you get wetter than you get in the open boat (it leaks EVERYWHERE).

I'm going to leave you with the photos now. This is a park we won't be coming back to. It basically has no rides.. for small children it's fun (except when theyre not allowed on the Toboggan). We (Jocelin, Yvette, Vincent and I) decided to go to MoviePark Germany next time. Or a park with some 'adult' rides. This chapter is closed.

Oh we went to the Tikibad as well: way to busy, way to long waiting for the slides, way to dirty, way to old. Bah! I did get to splash down my first Cyclone ride though.

I've included just about every ride, so you don't have to visit this park yourself. That's also why there are so many pictures :P I want to make sure you don't go! Better go to the Efteling or Walibi World!

Thanks for reading!

The pictures:
Duinrell00001.jpg
2 ticketbooths. Soo many people.
Duinrell00003.jpg
More and more people joined the que to buy a ticket. After one day I ask you: Why?
Duinrell00002.jpg
Clowns and frogs. Isn't that cute? No.
Duinrell00004.jpg
Best combo ever!
Duinrell00006.jpg
Warning: Waiting in line to buy your ticket will make you go crazy, Jocelin.
Duinrell00007.jpg
Warning: Waiting in line to buy your ticket will make you go crazy, Yvette.
Duinrell00008.jpg
Only a few more untill we can get in this boring park! Aaah!
Duinrell00009.jpg
'Welcome to the Themepark' (themepark in Dutch is: Rides-Park, they just forget to mention they only have 4 (and running 3)).
Duinrell00011.jpg
We recieved a voucher for cheap food. Good! (will come back to this later)
Duinrell00012.jpg
Pure magic! Well, that's what I used to think all those years ago.. heh.
Duinrell00013.jpg
This is where you can practice before you try it out for money at your local carnival (not sure if you have those, but we have em).
Duinrell00014.jpg
They put a 50 euro bill on top of the ladder, and you need to go up without touching the ground. It's really hard.
Duinrell00015.jpg
But not for the Great AJ. I'm going to do it!
Duinrell00016.jpg
2 seconds later I failed.
Duinrell00017.jpg
So here you have the toilets, where people leave Fun Gifts for you to buy in the next store. You think that's a fake turd?
Duinrell00018.jpg
I've never seen a phonebooth in a park. But maybe that's just me. There's that scary frog again.
Duinrell00020.jpg
They had a nice play-park for the children. Big covered slide (but the kids grabbed trays from the restaurant and slided with 60mph down, a lot of fun to watch them fly out into the sand, hehe).
Duinrell00021.jpg
Duinrell00022.jpg
I wasn't sure about the theme (the whole time).
Duinrell00023.jpg
This small ferriswheel had a lookout over the campsite. I bet the people there loved how they were being watched.
Duinrell00024.jpg
Smallest que area ever?
Duinrell00025.jpg
I do love how they theme the Cash machines in parks nowadays.
Duinrell00026.jpg
Our second 'ride'.. Jocelin got sent away because she was to old :(
Duinrell00028.jpg
Bumperboats. It seemed like people weren't enjoying themselves. As if they were punished or something.
Duinrell00029.jpg
Bumperboats are very boring with electrical motors.
Duinrell00030.jpg
Looks very safe like this, heh.
Duinrell00031.jpg
Duinrell00033.jpg
This came right out of the Efteling, Kaatsheuvel.
Duinrell00034.jpg
Western themed kiddie train ride
Duinrell00037.jpg
or is it.. :s it's named the troll hole train ride :S
Duinrell00035.jpg
Two meters from the Troll Train there was a Western train. Weird thing, the train is riding on a twisted track, while the whole track and mountain is also turning around! I've never seen such a ride before.
Duinrell00036.jpg
As you can see, everything has moved. Picture was taken from the same spot.
Duinrell00038.jpg
Next up.
Duinrell00048.jpg
Vincent seemed to enjoy himself as well.. hehe.
Duinrell00049.jpg
Duinrell00052.jpg
Me too!
Duinrell00039.jpg
Me owning the height limit pole for the Toboggan.
Duinrell00041.jpg
The greatest docking station in the world (of Duinrell).
Duinrell00043.jpg
Yes, we did our part.
Duinrell00044.jpg
Check out those instructions. This IS a scary ride. If you go full speed, you will sling out.
Duinrell00042.jpg
Riding up took like 5 minutes!
Duinrell00045.jpg
So I had time enough to get my camera from my bag, which I was allowed to bring on the ride and shoot this interesting picture. Right? I was allowed to bring it on, don't ban me! :)
Duinrell00046.jpg
This is a fun ride, you go very fast, and the fact that you CAN fly out the corner makes it even better, hehe. They won't come and help you though, cause by riding it you agreed to their policy.
Duinrell00055.jpg
It's ....
Duinrell00056.jpg
The imprissonned....
Duinrell00057.jpg
Frog Kiddiecoaster!!!!
Duinrell00058.jpg
With random cartoon animals or people riding it!! I don't understand this! W00t!!
Duinrell00060.jpg
And you don't need a kid to ride it! Credit!
Duinrell00063.jpg
Duinrell00066.jpg
Closed :(
Duinrell00070.jpg
Duinrell00067.jpg
So this is the closed boat...
Duinrell00071.jpg
It goes up...
Duinrell00072.jpg
Up some more (by this time you're really wet from the leaks in the boat...)
Duinrell00074.jpg
and then what seems like a small fall,
Duinrell00075.jpg
Which is what they think :)
Duinrell00073.jpg
is really a huge... well, see for yourself:
Duinrell00076.jpg
Duinrell00077.jpg
Duinrell00078.jpg
Hence the name of the ride. In the openboat, you get a big poncho so only your head gets wet. In the closed boat, everything gets wet (and it smells real bad too..)
Duinrell00082.jpg
Last ride of the day. I enjoyed it, they did 2 runs for us :D
Duinrell00068.jpg
Except me and my sis fell out
Duinrell00088.jpg
Oh god... the food.. it was Aweful, Cold, and there was birdpoop on our table. :(
Duinrell00089.jpg
If they only knew..
Duinrell00090.jpg
Vincent almost threw up from the food. Well at least it was a very green park (soon to turn a little bit orange with brown bits).
Duinrell00091.jpg
Random ride 1
Image00092.jpg
Random ride 2
Duinrell00093.jpg
Random ride 3 (are you noticing how many rides don't have ride ops and are self powered?
Duinrell00053.jpg
Our last stop of the day: The Tikipool (Tikibad). Bad!

You just lost the game

Postby the sound » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:53 pm

Great Photos! That Flume ride looks insanely wet, do you have to wear a Poncho when your on the open boat?

Hot Coaster Chick!

Postby niiicolaaah » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:59 pm

OMG!

Are those vending machines on the left??? If I ever went there, I would totally get food from the machines, so I wouldn't have to reveal that I only speak English... ;)

Great TR!
Parks: 71| Wood: 68 | Steel: 272 | Total Coasters: 340 | States: 23| Countries: 6

Jolly jolly jolly jolly jolly

Postby Louise » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:03 pm

Wow, nice pictures from a random little park!!

I've only ever seen those covered boat rides in Japan trip reports and the Alveys' videos, I didn't know there were any in Europe... Are there many others?!

This picture totally freaked me out, is that a bird flying across the picture?!?!

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby AJMouse » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:07 am

the sound wrote:Great Photos! That Flume ride looks insanely wet, do you have to wear a Poncho when your on the open boat?

The open boat has brown 4 people ponchos attached to it, you can slide them over your head, and then only your head gets wet. In summertime, people leave the 'multi'poncho hanging in the boat, so they can get totally wet.. and they are 100 percent soaked, the ride is designed to not splash away the water, but to get it in or on the boat!

niiicolaaah wrote:OMG!

Are those vending machines on the left??? If I ever went there, I would totally get food from the machines, so I wouldn't have to reveal that I only speak English... ;)

Great TR!

Yeah, they are, the food is still bad though :P

Louise wrote:Wow, nice pictures from a random little park!!

I've only ever seen those covered boat rides in Japan trip reports and the Alveys' videos, I didn't know there were any in Europe... Are there many others?!

This picture totally freaked me out, is that a bird flying across the picture?!?!

I don't know if there are many more, this is the only one I know of.. On another Europe trip with the Efteling in it, we could put this park in, only the bad thing is that the costs are way to high to get 2 rides from this park in :P

And yeah that's a bird, the park was flooded with crows, creepy.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby AlmereStars » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:08 am

great photo's aj! has been a while that i've been to Duinrell, great memories of splash... really bad memories of Tikibad, I think that my back is still red because of those hurting slides!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby AlmereStars » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:10 am

niiicolaaah wrote:OMG!

Great TR!

those things are everywhere in holland :D:D if you want a quick snack, just put in a euro (or more) and grab what you want :P no annoying people that don't understand you :p

how sorry for the dubblepost!!

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Wishmaster » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:58 am

AJMouse wrote:
Louise wrote:

I don't know if there are many more, this is the only one I know of..

Niagara in Bellewaerde also has a covered boat. After all, it is a clone of the one in Duinrell. ;)
Rock ''n roll angels bring thyn hard rock, hallelujah! :devil:

http://www.coastercounter.com/Wishmaster

Good to the last drop

Postby ECZenith » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:07 am

Wow, this park has some nicely themed Huss rides, too bad the frisbee was closed though.
-Sean C.

FORMER DISNEYLAND ATTRACTION OP

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Airtime&Gravity » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:45 am

Nice photos, and the park looks pretty nice. From the photos, it appears to be slightly below Farup, but it still seems to be better than many of the smaller parks in America.

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!