Photo TR: From EPCOT with Love

"experiment" wrap-up on Page 9.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
WDW Monorail Fanatic

Photo TR: From EPCOT with Love

Postby BeemerBoy » Fri May 25, 2007 9:30 pm

Well, it was time for my bi-annual business road trip along the east coast. The trip takes me from Fort Lauderdale to Martha's Vineyard and vice versa twice a year, allowing me to stop at parks along the way. Since I was unable to visit Epcot on my WDW trip last October, a stop at the park was inevitable this time around. My ambitious plan of attack would take me from Boomers (in Fort Lauderdale) to Epcot (Orlando), to Hersheypark (Pennsylvania), and finally Knoebels (Pennsylvania) all in about two and a half days. Yep, you read that right. It's a marathon journey, and one I'm crazy for even attempting.

Unfortunately, I arrived at Hershey a bit later than planned, and therefore would be forced to visit Knoebels at another day in time. I'll post the other pics in separate threads because, as the title suggests, this is all about one of the greatest parks on earth.....Epcot!

Epcot has always been one of my favorite parks around, and always will be. I'm one of those grouchy "old school EPCOT CENTER" fans. You know, the type that seems to complain about any and all recent changes. Well, the only reason we do that is because we love the place so much. Call it tough love. The kind any proud parent would give their child who they felt was underachieving at something.

Naturally, I was very anxious to try and experience everything about the park on this day, and then form some updated opinions on where she stands almost 25 years after opening day. It was nice to be accompanied by my brother and his wife on what turned out to be a great spring Florida day. I'll post my thoughts on various things later, but now I should probably explain what you'll see in this trip report.

"Experiment" Time.
About a month before this trip, Shannon and I were discussing the insane cost of postage these days, and how unreliable the service seems in our area. Naturally, the proverbial "light bulb" went on in my head, and it lead me to think of this "experiment" the next day while daydreaming at work.

Back in the day, before Al Gore invented the internet, people actually sent letters and postcards to friends and family. Epcot Center, as well as the Magic Kingdom, used to have mailboxes for this very reason. As a kid, receiving postcards from traveling family members and friends was always something I looked forward to. It got me to thinking though, after hundreds of visits through the years, never once did I, myself, mail anything from either of the parks.

So with the internet now in place, common theme park friends around the world, and a desire to see what kind of service a .90 stamp buys, it was time to put the plan in motion. That is, of course, if Epcot still had mailboxes. As I researched it, I found that apparently they no longer did, thus forcing plan B into action. Luckily, the Beach Club access from Epcot allowed me to stop in and mail everything off.

Basically, I decided to round up about 20 members from around the world, and send each a postcard from Epcot to see how long each one took to arrive. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the stack of Disney postcards I used to have somewhere and was forced to make my own crude postcards with some photo paper and random pics I had on the computer. Some are just random "old school" Epcot images, and some are specific to the people receiving them.

A HUGE thanks to all the participants in this "experiment." Many of them you'll recognize, and some may be new to you. Either way, you'll soon see that old technology still works, regardless of how long it takes to connect us.

Without further ado, From Epcot with Love......
1.jpg
After an early start from Fort Lauderdale, it felt great to finally see this sign again!
2.jpg
I move to make it mandatory that any WDW trip report include a pic of the monorail. All in favor say "I."
3.jpg
Hmmm, okay, I've got one in mind. I'll give you guys a pic or two to see if it comes true.
4.jpg
Yep.
5.jpg
And here they are, all ready to test our postal service. But not before spending half a day at Epcot. Lucky postcards!
6.jpg
Well, so much for that dream coming true. Maybe that wand will eventually come down one day. I can still dream! ;)
7.jpg
The International Flower and Garden Festival was in full swing.
8.jpg
That's gotta be a six minute wait. Forget it! We'll wait 'til later, thanks.
9.jpg
Does this ball force everyone to get artsy from time to time?
11.jpg
Hi Julie. Saved you a seat. ;)
12.jpg
Here ya go, Matt. Wait, hang on.....
13.jpg
....that's better.
14.jpg
10 minute wait for Test Track? Score.
15.jpg
Yeah, I miss World of Motion, but I'll give 'em credit on this one. Test Track is an excellent attraction.
16.jpg
17.jpg
So does anyone know how many tires do they go through each year?
18.jpg
Time to feel like a cheap fast food burger.
19.jpg
Or a Steak 'n Shake milkshake. Mmmmm, milkshake.
20.jpg
Look, Test Track's doing it's impression of "Scream!", but with authentic theming.
21.jpg
Their odd attempt at teaching to "Live Green." Odd? Why, you ask?
IMG_2048.jpg
Well, because only a few steps away was a promotion for this beastly gas guzzler. It certainly seemed like a strange marketing decision....but eh, I've seen stranger ones, I guess.
22.jpg
You may recognize this homemade Hummer from a certain commercial.
23.jpg
Back over to Mission: Space. Wes, your capcom really does miss you terribly.
24.jpg
And I think everyone who saw the TPR calendar can agree, Joe is nothing less than a "wonder of life." Here's to ya, Joe!
25.jpg
Next up was Universe of Energy.
26.jpg
Or a good time for a quick power nap. This is one exhibit that needs to be rethought. Such an impressive and ambitious ride/exhibit when it opened, that now just comes across as very disjointed.
27.jpg
See, God loves Epcot.
28.jpg
This is something I'd probably expect to see at Wild Adventures rather than Epcot. ;)
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Fri May 25, 2007 10:09 pm

Part duex.
29.jpg
Uh oh. You know what that sign means.
30.jpg
It was time to try it out for myself.
31.jpg
First couple of seconds and you're thinking "eh, it's different, but it's not that......"
32.jpg
But then OMG. The taste bud train simply derails. It's at this point I'm thinking "who on God's green earth drinks this crap!?"
Is this served to prisoners or something?
33.jpg
We told the next people to arrive upon the scene that this was due to something else. "Stay away from the one on the end. Try the Beverly instead." Suckers.
34.jpg
36.jpg
I definitely miss the original version. :(
37.jpg
Says it all right there.
38.jpg
Oh wait. Figment's still awesome!
39.jpg
You mean the one that was held by the Dreamfinder? No? Well, that's a shame. Depression then began to set in.
40.jpg
Redemption! Frozen chocolate covered bananas are the greatest thing ever created in the history of mankind. Almost, anyway.
41.jpg
Thanks to the crowds Soarin' brings in, the boat ride had a 30 minute wait. I had to skip it today in order to get everything else done. :(
42.jpg
At least the interior still looks pretty good.
43.jpg
This place is right up there with Dollywood and Busch Gardens Europe for "most beautiful."
44.jpg
Was this created to be climbed on? I really did wonder about that.
45.jpg
More beauty. I'm tired, and the captions may begin to suffer as a result.
46.jpg
Deep down, how cool would it have been to see The Living Seas with Team Zissou?
47.jpg
The longest wait of the day for anything. 30 minutes or so. It's about this point that I really missed the 20K theming.
48.jpg
To the Clam Mobiles!
49.jpg
How long 'til we reach Sea Base Alpha?
50.jpg
Easily the best use of technology at any Disney park, IMHO.
51.jpg
savethemanatee.org
Seriously. I worked around these things for years, and nothing was more depressing than to have to call in over the marine radio about another dead, or injured manatee along the intracoastal. :(
52.jpg
Sea Base Alpha? Also, Matt, notice the clarity?
53.jpg
Nothing clever to say here. Move along.
54.jpg
They're cool. Just not $5,000 cool.
55.jpg
I told you that waiting until later would pay off. Score!!
56.jpg
57.jpg
For some....prepare to enter hypersleep in 3...2...1....
58.jpg
For others, prepare to enter old school Epcot awesomeness in 3...2...1....
Okay, admittedly it needs some TLC. I just hope the refurb is kind to my baby.

I love pickles. No more comments neccesary.

Postby USRoadTripper » Fri May 25, 2007 10:26 pm

I hate to reply in the middle of your TR, but it's late and I need to go to bed! But anyway, I got my postcard today! I got it from my mailbox at 7:21pm CST (but it had obviously been there longer...that's just what time I got home). I find it really funny that I didn't even realize that the wand wasn't above Spaceship Earth in my postcard! hahaha The postcard was postmarked on the 23rd, so it only took two days...pretty good I think!

-Julie

This photo has been deleted by the photographer.
Current coaster count : 223
waterviper [1:08am]: jahan i know you 17 and all but I think your one great piece of A$$
arrowfanman [1:36am]: Good...now we have the trifecta of ass-wanting!

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Fri May 25, 2007 10:44 pm

Round three.
59.jpg
Mickey welcomes you to World Showcase, also known as "Awesomeville."
60.jpg
The shores of Mexico.
61.jpg
Hi, Joel. Hope you enjoy your stay!
62.jpg
To me, the interior of the Mexico pavilion is probably the best around.
63.jpg
The update of this ride turned out pretty good, in my opinion.
64.jpg
These guys are always cool with me.
65.jpg
66.jpg
From one "Parrothead" to another. ;)
67.jpg
On to Norway. Home of trolls, vikings, and grass roofs.
68.jpg
Hi "Tusenfryd."
69.jpg
"Honey, did you water the roof today?"
70.jpg
Booo.
71.jpg
"I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."
72.jpg
Hi, Adriel!
74.jpg
China continues to look great.
73.jpg
Seriously, I'm a huge fan of ancient Asian architecture. Along with Japan, this place rocks!
75.jpg
I was suddenly feeling very "crouching tiger."
76.jpg
Beautiful.
77.jpg
78.jpg
Splendid.
79.jpg
Hang on, I'm checking the thesaurus.
80.jpg
Okay, bear with me on this one. Ian and Tony, this one's for you guys. Since Australia isn't represented here, just imagine that island has the Sydney Opera House on it. ;) Cheers!
IMG_2131.jpg
Okay, between China and Germany, lies this African "outpost" of sorts.
82.jpg
Hear the drummer get wicked.
83.jpg
If you don't know who's pictured, then perhaps you're in the wrong place.
84.jpg
It's like the Tournament of Roses parade. Except, it's in Orlando, Joey's not rooting for USC today, and there's no parade. Besides that, yeah, just like the TOR.
85.jpg
Germany. Home of Porsche, beer, and the Autobahn. Imagine that combination in the states.
86.jpg
Hi Andy!
87.jpg
Garden railroads are cool.
88.jpg
But this miniature plastic figurine on miniature plastic figurine violence HAS to end!
89.jpg
Italy. Home to Ferrari. Unfortunately, I could not find an Italian TPR representative. Sorry, no postacards sent to the boot. :(
90.jpg
Still is purty though.

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Fri May 25, 2007 11:25 pm

Down the homestretch.
91.jpg
92.jpg
Am I missing something here?
93.jpg
Poor picture, but if you're a fan of great a capella singing, do yourself a favor and see the Voices of Liberty perform.
94.jpg
Mmmmm, Japan. Unfortunately, I was unable to find a Japanese representative to receive a postcard. :(
95.jpg
Trees are your friends.
96.jpg
As are numreous other decorations. ;)
97.jpg
98.jpg
Should I be concerned?
100.jpg
Okay, time to bear with me again. Our friend, "worm" from South Africa will be representing the great continent of Africa , including the Moroccan pavillion. Thanks worm!
101.jpg
Morocco really has a great look to it.
102.jpg
More proof of that.
103.jpg
Hours later, and I'm still trying anything to get that Beverly aftertaste out of my mouth!
105.jpg
France. Notice how smart Disney was? They placed The Americans between Germany and France. Rest easy, France. Rest easy. ;) (I kidd, I kidd).
104.jpg
Hi, sio!
106.jpg
Great detail around the bend.
107.jpg
108.jpg
Jolly ole England.
109.jpg
Hi, Lou. Hi, Tom. Cheers!
110.jpg
111.jpg
Hi Derek. Sure, he's American, but the US pavillion didn't have a cool pub.
112.jpg
Oh, Canada....
113.jpg
Hi, Paul.
114.jpg
When the Bruins are out of the picture, I always root for these guys next.
115.jpg
This park is beautiful, eh?
116.jpg
Okay, time to veer off the beaten path a bit. Robb, since I forgot to take a pic elsewhere, here's the Boardwalk for you guys. Now I just wonder how many will recognize the picture on the card. ;)
117.jpg
Beach Club Resort.
119.jpg
Nicole, I forgot to take this pic at Journey, so Art the doorman kindly helped out. Thanks, Art!
118.jpg
I can't forget the most important card of the day. ;)
120.jpg
Hi, Dan. That's your card on top. Postcards were sent at exactly 1:00pm, Tuesday, May 22nd.
122.jpg
123.jpg
125.jpg
Oh no, don't thank me. It was certainly my pleasure.
126.jpg
Bye Epcot. 'Till next time. Thanks for reading. Hope you all enjoyed it!

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Sat May 26, 2007 12:53 am

Another great Photo TR. You certainly have a knack for these things.
116_895[1].jpg
Its the robot butler from Horizons.

Postby Wes » Sat May 26, 2007 1:29 am

I received my inter-postal transmission when I got home tonight at 1:20 AM, so I assume it came on 5/25.

Here's me with my favorite CAPCOM.

Godspeed, Brave Beemerboy. This Photo TR is awesome so far!
Photo 15.jpg

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby sio » Sat May 26, 2007 1:30 am

One of the most original TR ever ! Congratulations I didn't know that Epcot was as big as this.

A picture reminds me something when I went to Europa-Park the last month, see:

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat May 26, 2007 1:57 am

Now this is totally front page material!

Great Photo TR!!!

--Robb "Haven't gotten my postcard yet...anxiously awaiting!" Alvey

Blank Title

Postby Sean Menefee » Sat May 26, 2007 2:29 am

Great photo TR, I really need to make my way to Florida again one of these years.

--Sean

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive