Photo TR: Nicole does Darien Lake

Mother's Day = Empty Park!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Hot Coaster Chick!

Photo TR: Nicole does Darien Lake

Postby niiicolaaah » Sun May 13, 2007 7:20 pm

I dragged my friend Christine over to Darien Lake today so I could get my season pass and some Intamin goodness. The park was EMPTY, and the only thing we waited in line for was the Tin Lizzys (old fashioned cars).

I hadn't been to the park since 2005. The employees were very friendly (and not a cell phone in sight!), but for some reason every coaster now has a "staple every rider" policy. I got pinned so hard to my seat on Viper that I couldn't move at all, it was really painful. I don't understand what the point of stapling people in is.

Parking was only $7, but they made up for that with the food prices. Coke machines were $2.75, and we saw funnel cake for $6, among other things.
DSCN8299.jpg
Yeah... have I mentioned it's Derek and my anniversary today?? I wish he was here to ride these coasters with me :(
DSCN8300.jpg
So we got to the park around 3:30 pm and... there were barely any cars there!
DSCN8302.jpg
Here's the park entrance, with its new logo. Pass processing went fast, although they spelled my first name wrong. How do you spell "Nicole" wrong, seriously!?
DSCN8305.jpg
New park maps were all over. The park was very clean, and all the shops and restrooms looked like they had a fresh coat of paint.
DSCN8306.jpg
Predator was closed, because they are retracking portions of it. Maybe once it opens it will actually be rideable!
DSCN8307.jpg
I haven't ridden this coaster since 2001, and I remember it being awful.
DSCN8350.jpg
I saw some new wood in this turn, but that was it. There is probably more that is just not visible from the midway.
DSCN8313.jpg
Boomerang was also closed.
DSCN8314.jpg
Time for our first ride! The "ghetto boat" ride with no roof
DSCN8315.jpg
Yeah... we're on the ride.. on the PHONE! Woohoo!
Parks: 71| Wood: 68 | Steel: 272 | Total Coasters: 340 | States: 23| Countries: 6

Hot Coaster Chick!

Postby niiicolaaah » Sun May 13, 2007 7:29 pm

Once we rode the "ghetto boat" ride, we tried to decide which coaster to ride first. Christine hates big drops, so Ride of Steel was a bad choice. So I asked her, "Would you rather ride the coaster that goes upside down 5 times, or the coaster that goes upside down 5 times?" :lolr:
DSCN8326.jpg
We chose Mind Eraser first.
DSCN8327.jpg
Christine is a bit unsure of this, as she had never ridden an "upside-down coaster".
DSCN8328.jpg
Thar she blows...
DSCN8331.jpg
This shot would have been better with a train in it.
DSCN8332.jpg
Look at this long line... wow!
DSCN8333.jpg
Um... yeah, hi... walk-on! Too bad it's a Vekoma.
DSCN8334.jpg
Christine gives it the thumbs-up! Mind Eraser was actually running pretty smooth. We rode it 3 times throughout the day.
DSCN8322.jpg
OMG, credit #163?? Ok, no.
DSCN8323.jpg
Right by Brain Teaser are some really adorable kiddy bumper cars!
Parks: 71| Wood: 68 | Steel: 272 | Total Coasters: 340 | States: 23| Countries: 6

Hot Coaster Chick!

Postby niiicolaaah » Sun May 13, 2007 7:42 pm

After Mind Eraser, we headed over to Viper.
DSCN8320.jpg
Viper was also running okay, but with the stapling problem. We also rode it three times.
DSCN8318.jpg
Ugh.. I miss Derek.
DSCN8337.jpg
Oh no, another super long line. ;)
DSCN8338.jpg
Well, this one's a walk-on a lot of the time anyway. We were the ONLY people on the train!
DSCN8341.jpg
All the water rides, including Shipwreck Falls, were running, despite today's high temperature of 60
DSCN8343.jpg
And here's what kills me: the water park was OPEN! Who's bright idea was this?????
DSCN8309.jpg
Time for some Intamin goodness... or not
DSCN8311.jpg
Um... something's missing!
DSCN8345.jpg
And here too! Just a concrete square is left where the Daily Planet van used to be.
DSCN8346.jpg
Looks like another long line!
DSCN8347.jpg
This is painful.
DSCN8373.jpg
Too bad it really sucked. It was very vibraty and loud. I felt like I was in a trash can rolling down a hill. I gave it another courtesy ride later in the day, but it was terrible. Such a shame, as this was my hands-down favorite coaster for several years

He's kind of sad and pathetic

Postby BarryH » Sun May 13, 2007 7:50 pm

Great Photo TR! Darien Lake looks better than what I had imagined.

What, you didn't try the water park in 60 degree weather?

Hot Coaster Chick!

Postby niiicolaaah » Sun May 13, 2007 7:53 pm

Random stuff around the park...
DSCN8351.jpg
I love the view from the far side of the lake.
DSCN8352.jpg
Boomer...
DSCN8359.jpg
We decided to ride something I hadn't ridden since I was little: the Tin Lizzys!
DSCN8360.jpg
I was told to put my camera away after taking this picture, so I did :)
DSCN8374.jpg
Looney Tunes Seaport???
DSCN8376.jpg
Why does everything remind me of Derek today? :(
DSCN8378.jpg
Sorry, guys... ride's closed...
DSCN8384.jpg
There is still some Six Flags merchandise to be had in the gift shops around the park.
DSCN8392.jpg
This is the water slide from Astroworld. The track pieces of Batman are still in storage across the street.
DSCN8394.jpg
Sorry, Darien Lake, we're about ready to leave. I'll be back when Predator's open! (maybe!)

Born when stamps were 2 cents

Postby OldJJman » Sun May 13, 2007 7:55 pm

Damn Girl!! It seems as if you taken lessons in picture taking!!

Very nice!!

(and only 1 out of focus too! ;) )

MATT DAMON has nervous tits

Postby thecoasterkid » Sun May 13, 2007 7:58 pm

^ "Ride of Steel" definitely felt that way to me last year too. I remember it having more air than Millenium Force, but with overly large boring helixes and having alot of rough vibrations.

Thanks for the trip report! I can't believe management has the water park open so early. Pretty expensive to pay lifeguards to stand around going nothing all day long.

Non-German Tom

Postby Shockwave » Mon May 14, 2007 2:59 am

Great photos Nicole! Good thing they cut the parking fee in half, I couldn't stomach paying $15 to park there.

I really hope Superman won't be doing its trashcan down the hill impression in a fortnight. I bet the park will be packed over Memorial Day as well.

I like to ride Shakira...oh, and SheiKra Too!

Postby KrazyT » Mon May 14, 2007 3:38 am

Great TR. Looks like it was really packed. :P
Too bad Superman wasnt great. But it looks like you had a good time anyway.
Keep 'em coming.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Mon May 14, 2007 4:26 am

I wonder what happened to S:ROS? I guess maybe they don't take care of it or something. And Predator was horrible years ago, so I can only imagine what it's like now, re-tracking or not.

Good pictures. You rule, Nicole.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive