Return of the Sad-and-Pathetic Photo TR: KD Opening Day '07

Paramount is still bustin' out all over
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Return of the Sad-and-Pathetic Photo TR: KD Opening Day '07

Postby cfc » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:51 pm

Well, it's time for the first full season under Kings Dominion's new regime--Paramount is dead! Long live Cedar Fair!

Paramount may be dead, but its ghost still lingers. It doesn't appear that CF took a lot of care in "de-Paramountizing" the park, aside from the maps, a sign here and there, and the CMs' name badges. You'll still find the Paramount name and logo on shirts in all the shops (gotta sell that back inventory) and on many of the trash cans, and those Paramount movie props are still ringing the Eiffel Tower.

And there is one interesting, somewhat more irritating holdover from the old boss. Remember how they used to play music from different movies and TV shows, such as Raiders of the Lost Ark and Leave It to Beaver, all over the place? Today, except for the music in the Nick section and the jungle drums in the Congo, the only music being played in the park, from the main gate to the Grove to Old Virginia, was . . .

the theme from Star Trek: First Contact!

Yes, I heard that music pretty much constantly for the the six hours or so I spent at KD. Would love to know what the story is behind this. Is this the only music CF could get the rights to use?

Well, theme music aside, the weather was great, the crowds were pretty light, and I had a good time. And, yes, there was but one-train operation on all the park's rough and wild woodies. But Volcano was its usual awesome self, as was Flight of freakin' Fear.

And now here's a bunch of those things that are supposed to say a thousand words. Enjoy.

PS--if you have one of those temporary KD or CF Maxx Passes, just go to any open ticket window, and the cashier will trade it for a "permanent" plastic card (no muss, no fuss).

PPS--I have a suspicion that CF may be using a new vendor for KD's soft-serve ice cream. It used to be pretty good--now it really sucks. Yes, this pallid, stale-tasting twirl of gelatinous goo would probably better serve as a low-grade stamp adhesive than as a snack treat.
KD 01.JPG
Here I am at Knott Paramount's Kings Dominion. Doesn't look like much has really changed.
KD 02.JPG
At least this trash can got the memo.
KD 03.JPG
A lousy picture of a good change--the entrance is no longer blocked by ticket booths. So, you actually get "lines" when you enter, as opposed to an unruly mob. (Tickets are sold in the bldg. in the left foreground.)
KD 04.JPG
An eye full of the Eiffel . . . slap! Ow! Sorry--it won't happen again.
KD 05.JPG
The early bird gets two rides (one in the front seat) in 15 minutes on Volcano.
KD 06.JPG
Fire good!
KD 07.JPG
Launch good!
KD 08.JPG
Yep--sure beats the crap outta the Smurf train ride that used to be there.
KD 09.JPG
And, for all of you who like rides based on mediocre remakes of old movies . . .
KD 10.JPG
. . . it's (kersploosh!) Italian Job! (I must admit that I think this little coaster is fun.)
KD 11.JPG
We're now entering Flight of Fear! This is a restricted area!
KD 12.JPG
Remember--you will be under constant surveillance . . .
KD 13.JPG
. . . by aliens!
KD 14.JPG
Time to help Scooby and the gang get to the bottom of another groovy mystery (before the line gets too long).
KD 15.JPG
I think this kid likes band. Just a hunch.
KD 16.JPG
Might as well catch the Tomb Raider show while waiting for Avalanche to open.
KD 17.JPG
Remember kids--clean poo is happy poo! (Note to CF: you might want to fix this sign.)
KD 18.JPG
And now we turn to Curt Gowdy over at the bobsled run. Looks like Team USA has taken the early lead.
KD 19.JPG
But "Canaba" is starting to close the gap!
KD 20.JPG
Here's what $7.39 buys you at KD. Well, at least the pizza is decent and the napkins are free, right? Part two of photos to come.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby pkd804 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:03 pm

Doesn't look like much has changed. Im going tomorrow though. :)

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:13 pm

Part two of the pics.
KD 21.JPG
Here's one of the new slides opening in the water park later this spring (as seen from the pizza joint in the Grove).
KD 22.JPG
Ever read any of the Earl of Rochester's erotic poetry? I wonder what he'd have to say about Drop Zone?
KD 23.JPG
Yeah, only one train on each side of Rebel Yell--but at least they were racing them.
KD 24.JPG
Hi--I'm the Hurler! And I want to kill you!
KD 25.JPG
Seriously--I want all you people dead!
KD 27.JPG
I'm Ricochet. I want to kill you, too, but I lack the power. Oh, well . . .
KD 28.JPG
Grr! Grizzly want to kill you too! But you have more fun when I do it than stupid Hurler!
KD 26.JPG
"Think we should paint over that?"
"Nah--it'll just flake off on its own, anyway."
KD 29.JPG
Hello there! You may have heard that we have a little item for sale. Take a gander! Isn't she a beaut?
KD 30.JPG
Allow me to point out some of the features of Hypersonic. Here's the part that makes people say "Whee!"
KD 31.JPG
Here's the part that goes wobble-wobble-wobble-wobble!
KD 32.JPG
And here's the part that makes people say "Oof," "Ow," and "$%*&#$%!!!" Then it knocks over a bunch of trash cans.
KD 33.JPG
Ten dollars down, and you can take this little beauty right now! Whaddaya say, mac?
KD 34.JPG
The Log Nazi proclaimed "No flume for you today!" But there were some hardy souls on the rapids ride.
KD 35.JPG
And now we'll conclude with some shots from the Eiffel Tower. Here's the Congo, with awesome Volcano and the fun (but strangely out-of-place) Avalanche.
KD 36.JPG
Here's yet another new slide for the water park.
KD 37.JPG
Eye-to-eye with Drop Zone.
KD 38.JPG
Oops! Looks like someone broke Anaconda (which is just as well).
KD 39.JPG
And we finish with the vertical loop of another coaster that wants to kill you--Shockwave Togo Machine of Atomic Mega-Death. Thanks for reading.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby coastrfreak2000 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:33 pm

Ew, I think Drop Zone needs a paint job.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby pkd804 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:41 pm

^You're right about that one. It's really fadded. I remember when it used to be shiney. =) I hope Cedar Fair re-paints it, as well as Rebel Yell!

I Love Donkeys!

Postby CoasterBill04 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:48 pm

Seems like you had a great time. I was there as well, and you're absolutely right about Cedar Fair taking there sweet time with getting rid of the Paramount stuff. However as I was waiting for them to open up the parking gates, one of the attendants I spoke to said that they have until the beginning of next season to 'de-Paramount' the place, to include the electronic billboard that can be seen from all over the park and I95.

-Bill 'CoasterBill04' Yetman

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:07 pm

It'll be interesting to watch the "de-Paramounting" progress. I knew they were stuck with the big sign out by I-95 for a while.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby YoshiFan » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:13 pm

$7.39 for a small slice of pizza and a soda? Wow, that's almost as bad as SF's pricing for food.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby CoastersNSich » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:22 pm

I know they took off the P-word from the big sign just inside the main entrance at Kings Island, and at Carowinds, too, but why not at KD.

the theme from Star Trek: First Contact!

Or they could have made it a Drew Carey theme park, where Mimi plays "Panama" by Van Halen all day long.

Also, did Ananconda get the seat belts?

P.S. I spent $10 for 2 slices of pizza and a Coke at KI last year...

Ass is another word for Donkey!

Postby kissorkill2night » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:52 pm

I Hoping to be able to go visit this week or some weekend that i have off.

Does andaconda have seat belts now?
Home Park: Kings Dominion

My last name is Kitchen and I am learning to become a Chef.

Top 5 Coasters: 1. Griffon 2. Kingda Ka 3. El Toro 4. Nitro 5. Valcano

:station:

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive