TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PTR - Carowinds - 2007 Opening Day

Yesterday was opening day for Carowinds and the Whootah Crew (http://www.whootah.com) and I were on hand to have fun in the 83 degree weather (last year it was in the 40s and cloudy). SOME of us supported our home park and didn't go to Spring Fling. Who needs Goliath when you've got Runaway Reptar! Anyway on with the show...

10.9.JPG.85c48bbc3ce339e0bfcc56538e115d7e.JPG

And I leave you with an AWE! shot...it was a great day, great weather, so-so ride operations (several rides were up and down through the day). We ended the day at Wild Wings (http://www.wildwingcafe.com/). It was a great day.

10.7.JPG.34489ec26f73342b0344cacd24ded0c0.JPG

Wewwow Widward! (Random Sponge Bob referrence).

10.8.JPG.b08f41faa9ef7d3ed47fc2d6fb677d46.JPG

This would never happen in RCT.

10.5.JPG.16ca3d01575c6ea37fa2c435dced2994.JPG

The rumors are true, Cedar Fair made them put SEAT BELTS on the OTSRS for the Arrow coasters. Carolina Cyclone (pictured) has them, and I've heard that Anaconda (KD) has them too.

10.6.JPG.b884de98078960da3ed3d871b2e55d4c.JPG

And here it is! You can tell screamscape this is 100% accurate! Carowinds is getting a hyper! Under the bridge! Really! You don't believe me?

10.4.JPG.063ece9130252160a2918fffb55be158.JPG

John is still in shock by the news Alan told him on Drop Zone.

10.3.JPG.da8469e37b559207aa8c1038e20491d7.JPG

*talking like Clint Eastwood* What did you say Square Pants?!?

10.2.JPG.699bc927d7eda0421d458c628dadc3f0.JPG

Alan stops to worship at the Shrine of Dora.

10.1.JPG.8f31db77f94a1d05601295849721b977.JPG

It actually looks very nice and they did some nice landscaping and queue line around it. Much better than letting it rot in the bone yard. It only tested this weekend. Never opened.

10.JPG.1b69ef82dcaa293d0a879f26c4bda74d.JPG

And now kiddies what you've all be waiting for! Southern Star! or as we all know it, Frenzoid repainted - The Experience.

9.JPG.210ad3ec2ed62a91e61f4ae2efb9cafc.JPG

Borg...down? Never.

8.JPG.5b3e31ca9ac78692f8060e9e48504f67.JPG

Alan just told John where they are putting the new hyper.

7.JPG.5b1f8fab66e1a60149accdf7cb69bde6.JPG

Is it Hurler or Drop Zone? I'm so confused.

6.5.JPG.51e54573da689bea8536965b890a5bff.JPG

There was snapping. And the people rejoiced! (Random Home Improvement referrence). Tubs #1 and #10 seem to be very good this year.

6.4.JPG.8883dd938c4bc63bd920911b662bec23.JPG

Uh oh...Alan has found a Paramount coaster in the Carowinds map. They had a park employee going for a while trying to figure out which coaster in Carowinds it was.

6.3.JPG.ed66dfe1b15fb13729dc18d0d1ffb2ae.JPG

Alan celebrates his Paramount free ride.

6.2.JPG.ebd711ad5c8acda5377c2a76c7c10303.JPG

Alan thanks God that there isn't a Paramount logo on Hurler.

6.1.JPG.c5a4ac650e789d15e7ca0285e4ee27af.JPG

Wrong!

6.JPG.0cb56aebab66936fb5d786f720a06ea7.JPG

Wrong!

5.JPG.cbdd201f83d0cb9744cc623598a01e09.JPG

Hmmm... this one?

4.JPG.12a99fabfc93930641dadef208c0157c.JPG

Now we start our scavenger hunt of park logos. This ride...correct!

3.JPG.470fe6443ce7727b7eace45d42ee2d75.JPG

Alan took one look at season pass processing and decided to start drinking early in the day.

2.JPG.446b6b8466350dbac9b6e29920cfdb9a.JPG

Welcome to Carolina Candy Cane Sky Tower! Enjoy your ride.

1.JPG.df835ac6d1420cdfc837a23fe97d4e82.JPG

Am I at Cedar Point? Oh wait, it's Carowinds. I don't know how I could confuse the two. To be fair they didn't put in sea of trash cans. lol

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLY MOLY

What an interesting report on the first day of Carowinds. I believe I got away!

Although you covered some of the attractions, there were no reports concerning the other coasters (Top Gun, Rolling Thunder, and Ricochet), so I have to a$$ume that there hardly ever been any changes to those coasters (except the new coat of paint).

Did I hear you right (and saw the pictures as well?)? Carolina Cyclone has added seatbelts (and so does KD's Anaconda?)? Well, I have ridden both of those coasters and I can't see why they need seatbelts? Now if they could get rid of the overhead collars and install lap bars (just like they did to all those launch coasters to make them more fun to rid), then I would be convinced that the ride is now made smoother. So I must ask all of you out there: did adding seatbelts make those rides smoother?

Finally, the Borg are mad that their coaster isn't running.

The only time I've ever been to Carowinds was for Winterfest two years ago--Top Gun was great, but that was the only coaster they were running. I definitely want to get back there during "normal" operations--looks like a pretty nice park.

You've inspired me to be on the prowl for Paramount logos at KD next Saturday.

If im not mistaken those "seat belts" are just on the OTSR instead of going around you waist right? If that is the case I dont see the big problem. It's obvious the park is going above and beyond!

I'll probably be at KD next weekend as well.

It might be fun to play the where's Paramount game. Based on the local weekend section in the newspaper, I would not bother looking at KD's park entrance for Traces of the Paramount logo there. The park has remodeled the entrance area for 2007. They have torn down one of the ticket buildings, tore out the asphalt and replaced with paving stones, all new paint and signage as well. Should be interesting to see.

I'll hit the Eiffel tower to check out the water park construction progress. Based on that same newspaper article, there was a picture of the tornado water slide and it was complete. it looked like they were still working on the paths and landscaping around it.

I guess you will have to get into the park to see what has the paramount logo attached. Oh, by the way, the main park sign by interstate 95 will not be changed this operating season. This was in a small business article back in early February where the park spokesperson shared this info with the news reporter.

^^ That's true Jarvis. I'm not saying it will be a common thing, but I have seen people above 300lbs ride the coaster before and the restraint only barely down a couple clicks.

I definitely want to get back there during "normal" operations--looks like a pretty nice park.

You've inspired me to be on the prowl for Paramount logos at KD next Saturday.

Yeah, Carowinds is no Busch Gardens (who is) but it's a nice, well run park IMO and they have a decent coaster collection, unless you've been to Kings Dominion. Then you'll know about 4 of them already cause their clones. lol

I think I may have created a monster. Lookout for the Paramount Scavenger Hunt threads now.

Nice TR! I LOLed at the Paramount logo hunting, and the random benches in the dirt.

It seems to me that so far, the changes made at this park were very minor and are for the better, am I correct?

Yes. Only minor changes, path changes, things like that at this point. I'm only poking fun at the park on the logos though. I know they can't get everything switched like magic.

Like if they removed it from Hurler's building, then they'd have to repaint it because the paint would be faded out except for that spot.

I only took a few shots though, there are a ton of places you can still find Paramount in the park.

By the way, I totally forgot earlier...I spotted Dick Kinzel (head of Cedar Fair) in the park. Or if it wasn't him, it was his look alike. All these execs were walking through the park. I guess he's doing a "Shapiro" at the former Paramount Parks.

*** EDIT

I just noticed I made the front page! I've NEVER made the front page. Thanks Robb!

OH MY GOSH! that rct joke was HILARIOUS! my friend here didnt understand why i was dying in laughter! hahaha.

i explained it to him. he still doesnt get it.

anywaaay, this TR was great but i agree with what someone else said earlier; i wouldve liked to see top gun because that coaster looks BRILLIANT. a little bit longer TR would have been better but this one still rocks. thanks!

^ Thanks.

If you want to I've got a ton of pics of Top Gun in my other Carowinds albums... www.southernscream.net then click on Photos at the bottom.

This TR was kinda funny, I've taken 1,000,000 photos of the rides at the park since it's my home park, so I really didn't do a lot of typical coaster pics.

But check out my site, I've got a ton on there.

The only time I've ever been to Carowinds was for Winterfest two years ago--Top Gun was great, but that was the only coaster they were running. I definitely want to get back there during "normal" operations--looks like a pretty nice park.
I thought Carowinds was the nicest of all the former Paramount parks, but the coaster line-up is a little weak.

...as for Top Gun, I think it's a very underrated coaster. It's in my top 10, currently at #9. I always call it the mini Montu, which is a good thing.

Nice Report, can't wait to go this comming sunday, I need my Top Gun Fix since I didn't fulfill my need, the need for speed Sorry, couldn't help it. The rct bit was great too, oh how we coaster enthusiasts find humor in things that others would not have thought for a second about. How did the rides run? I know you said they was a lot of downtime here and there, but when they were running, how were they?

Overall all the coasters that were running, ran great.

Thunder Road was very smooth compared to last year.

Top Gun was smooth on the red train, I heard though there is a wheel issue on the other train that may cause a rough back row ride.

All the others were pretty much on par with last year.

I had so much fun saturday on opening day. For the most part it wasn't that crowded because I got to ride so many times (Top Gun-4x; BORG-1x; Vortex-3x; Carolina Cyclone-3x; Thunder Road-1x; Hurler-2x; and Drop Zone-1x;)

Oh yeah, by the way, IT'S NOT CALLED "Rolling Thunder" IT'S CALLED "Thunder Road"

I should know, i ride it every time i go there, and trust me that is a lot of times considering i live and hour away.

AND it also has a big sign in front of the entrance that says "THUNDER ROAD"!!! Der-DA-Der

Anyway, about the new hyper. Is it gonna go under the bridge in the front of the park,or somewhere else,if there is another bridge, and if so where will the station be? Do you know any facts yet?(size, height, name, colors, theme, ect.) I can't wait for it to come!!! Ever since GOLIATH at SFOG came, i was hooked to the GIANT ones.

Also, i heard a rumor that "Thunder Road" and "Carolina Cyclone" were being removed. Anyone know any more cuz' that is upsetting news considering they are such good rides.

Ok, well, Buh-BYE

^ Welcome! About the hyper coaster thing, he is saying that there is a hyper coaster coming to Carowinds to poke fun at a news and rumor site that some times gets info wrong. And he is poking fun at how some enthusiasts think when ever there is construction going on in a park, it is automatically a roller coaster being built.

Also, i heard a rumor that "Thunder Road" and "Carolina Cyclone" were being removed. Anyone know any more cuz' that is upsetting news considering they are such good rides.

No. They aren't going anywhere. They did maintenance on Thunder Road on the off season and Cyclone had it's pathway reconfigured (plus the seatbelt addition). I don't think they'd be spending money on rides that would be removed.

Yeah, I know you guys are not all from Charlotte but around here there has been a running gag about Carowinds getting a hyper.

We also all wish it would dive under the walkway bridge at the front of the park. Hence the "hyper under the bridge".

Screamscape or one of those other rumor sites actually saw our joke in the ACE flyer last year and published it saying that we were getting one!

If we ever get one, believe me you'll hear about it.

Cedar Fair did not add any "voices" to the rides, that weren't already there.

Pretty much except for some esthetics (sp?) the park runs and looks pretty much the same. Well, there is the skytower and the new Cedar Fair uniforms.

BTW, I was a bit bewildered by the MAXX Pass. It's kinda flimsy (the card) if you ask me. I was thinking like others, they couldn't have given us this last year? Our photo isn't even on it.

maxx.JPG.409ebe86026d8bdc862143cee37912a3.JPG

MAXX Pass

BTW, I was a bit bewildered by the MAXX Pass. It's kinda flimsy (the card) if you ask me. I was thinking like others, they couldn't have given us this last year? Our photo isn't even on it.

I am assuming this is a growing trend among these "passes" around the theme park world - I know that WDW went from using a decent plastic card for most of their ticketing to using a paper-like and very flimsy card, making it near impossible and extremely irritating to use at the FP machines. 'Seems good ol' Cedar decided they'd do this, too. Pfft!