Photo TR - Carowinds - 2007 Opening Day

Invasion of the trash cans
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
#1 Nintendo Fanboy!

Photo TR - Carowinds - 2007 Opening Day

Postby bgwfreak » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:52 am

Yesterday was opening day for Carowinds and the Whootah Crew (http://www.whootah.com) and I were on hand to have fun in the 83 degree weather (last year it was in the 40s and cloudy). SOME of us supported our home park and didn't go to Spring Fling. :lolr: Who needs Goliath when you've got Runaway Reptar! Anyway on with the show...
1.JPG
Am I at Cedar Point? Oh wait, it's Carowinds. I don't know how I could confuse the two. To be fair they didn't put in sea of trash cans. lol
2.JPG
Welcome to Carolina Candy Cane Sky Tower! Enjoy your ride.
3.JPG
Alan took one look at season pass processing and decided to start drinking early in the day.
4.JPG
Now we start our scavenger hunt of park logos. This ride...correct!
5.JPG
Hmmm... this one?
6.JPG
Wrong!
6.1.JPG
Wrong!
6.2.JPG
Alan thanks God that there isn't a Paramount logo on Hurler.
6.3.JPG
Alan celebrates his Paramount free ride.
6.4.JPG
Uh oh...Alan has found a Paramount coaster in the Carowinds map. They had a park employee going for a while trying to figure out which coaster in Carowinds it was.
6.5.JPG
There was snapping. And the people rejoiced! (Random Home Improvement referrence). Tubs #1 and #10 seem to be very good this year.
7.JPG
Is it Hurler or Drop Zone? I'm so confused.
8.JPG
Alan just told John where they are putting the new hyper.
9.JPG
Borg...down? Never.
10.JPG
And now kiddies what you've all be waiting for! Southern Star! or as we all know it, Frenzoid repainted - The Experience.
10.1.JPG
It actually looks very nice and they did some nice landscaping and queue line around it. Much better than letting it rot in the bone yard. It only tested this weekend. Never opened.
10.2.JPG
Alan stops to worship at the Shrine of Dora.
10.3.JPG
*talking like Clint Eastwood* What did you say Square Pants?!?
10.4.JPG
John is still in shock by the news Alan told him on Drop Zone.
10.6.JPG
And here it is! You can tell screamscape this is 100% accurate! Carowinds is getting a hyper! Under the bridge! Really! You don't believe me?
10.5.JPG
The rumors are true, Cedar Fair made them put SEAT BELTS on the OTSRS for the Arrow coasters. Carolina Cyclone (pictured) has them, and I've heard that Anaconda (KD) has them too.
10.8.JPG
This would never happen in RCT.
10.7.JPG
Wewwow Widward! (Random Sponge Bob referrence).
10.9.JPG
And I leave you with an AWE! shot...it was a great day, great weather, so-so ride operations (several rides were up and down through the day). We ended the day at Wild Wings (http://www.wildwingcafe.com/). It was a great day.

¡Vamos a Seis Banderas!

Postby pvcoasterguy » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:15 am

LOL... what purpose can those seatbelts on the Arrows possibly serve? They haven't had them for the past 30+ years--I assume the ride is safe without them.

Whatever. The Cedar Fair-ization doesn't look bad... thanks for the pictures!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alpengeist04 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:15 am

Thanks for the Photo TR. What a difference a week makes weather wise.

...as for the hyper, I hear it will actually go under the bridge twice. ...once on the way out and of course on the return. ;)

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:29 am

OH NO! I pray Vortex doesn't get the seat belts. Those damn things hit me in the head EVERY TIME the restraint goes up! Carowinds looks pretty good, but will be even better with that hyper!

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby palmerleeberry » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:41 am

HOLY MOLY

What an interesting report on the first day of Carowinds. I believe I got :lmao: away!

Although you covered some of the attractions, there were no reports concerning the other coasters (Top Gun, Rolling Thunder, and Ricochet), so I have to a$$ume that there hardly ever been any changes to those coasters (except the new coat of paint). :P

Did I hear you right (and saw the pictures as well?)? Carolina Cyclone has added seatbelts (and so does KD's Anaconda?)? Well, I have ridden both of those coasters and I can't see why they need seatbelts? Now if they could get rid of the overhead collars and install lap bars (just like they did to all those launch coasters to make them more fun to rid), then I would be convinced that the ride is now made smoother. So I must ask all of you out there: did adding seatbelts make those rides smoother? :?r

Finally, the Borg are mad that their coaster isn't running. :x

OMG! A TALKING MUFFIN!

Postby DATman » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:42 am

The RCT joke was brilliant.

Great TR!

I Love Donkeys!

Postby rctlilman » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:55 am

I was there yesterday. It was a really good day to start off the season on. But it was warm enough for Boomerang Bay too be open, too bad it wasn't :cry:

P.S. I have a TR if you guys want me to post it.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:02 am

rctlilman wrote:P.S. I have a TR if you guys want me to post it.

Of course! Did you take photos too?

--Robb

Hot Coaster Chick!

Postby niiicolaaah » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:06 am

Nice TR! I LOLed at the Paramount logo hunting, and the random benches in the dirt. :lolr:

It seems to me that so far, the changes made at this park were very minor and are for the better, am I correct?
Parks: 71| Wood: 68 | Steel: 272 | Total Coasters: 340 | States: 23| Countries: 6

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:16 am

The only time I've ever been to Carowinds was for Winterfest two years ago--Top Gun was great, but that was the only coaster they were running. I definitely want to get back there during "normal" operations--looks like a pretty nice park.

You've inspired me to be on the prowl for Paramount logos at KD next Saturday.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!