TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Press opening De Vliegende Hollander Efteling.

(be warned for some spoilers)

Yesterday Efteling presented their newest rollercoaster/darkride/walkthrough attraction 'De Vliegende Hollander'. They presented it in real Efteling style, really professionnel and very well organised! There was a lot of people and media. I went with Dimi (my younger cousin) and Bart, dont remember Bart? Does Vekoma hat guy rings a bell? => http://www.themeparkreview.com/europe2005/bobbejaanland/bob13.jpg

After check in at the entrance we were guided to the attraction by actors dressed in the style of that time. At the courtyard of the attraction we got the chance to drink a orang juice or a jenever (= liquor). Then after a small opening ceremony some important people, along with the boss of the Efteling, took the first ride. And then it was our turn! We went through the waiting line, which is very cool themed, into the docking station. Which is a double station. The station is themed into a harbour with houses.

Then the ride. You start of out of the station and then you see two ships along your sides. You then steer to a closed door which opens and the music gets a little bit spooky. In this scene it is completely dark with only a lot of fog! Then suddenly you see a ship projected on a screen of water. The ship of Willem van der Decken. You then take a drop under a ship and you stop on the lifthill (like Space Mountain in Disneyland Paris). The music is very cool there and there are some cool lights. You go up the lifthill and you see the captain projected behind a wheel of a ship. You are about to take the drop which leads you to outside, but just before that you can hear the captain say: "Ook gij zult vaeren tot het einde der tijden" (= Also you will sail until end of times). The drop leads you into a short tunnel with alot of fog, after that some airtime on a hill and then you take a horseshoe turn. The last part is the splash, which was quite wet, and then you go back inside.

My opinion on the ride. Sadly it is a bit short, but the effects are really cool and I liked the attraction. The attraction gets his power of the darkride part cause the rollercoaster part isnt really astonishing, but not bad either.

These two key holders took us to the attraction

Liquor!! :D

Entertainment.

Food!!

Tunnel of smoke

Important people

Smugglers corridor, which is exposed after a fire in the house of Willem van der Decken. And so the dark secret of the captain is discovered.

Double loading docks

Houses at both sides

'Butter with fish' it says, only it is spelled in old dutch

Me and my younger cousin in the front

Two very friendly ride ops

When we went home, we got a bag of Efteling stuff at the exit, very cool and friendly of the Efteling!

And Bart a.k.a Vekoma hat guy

I would like to thank Efteling for their really nice customer service (= 10/10!!) and Bart, Dimi that they went with me.

Thank you all for reading the TR (sorry if there are some grammatic mistakes in it but it isn't really easy to write such a long text in English )

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks awesome! Wasn't too excited about this one but now that its nearly open I kinda want to go ride it! Will probably be a while before I get to Efteling so thanks for providing these pictures. Looking forward to the video.

This is one of the rides I have been most eagerly awaiting it's opening. It looks awesome. Even the que and loading station is amazing. Is the ride realy as average as you say, or were your expectations so high because of the time to open, and amazing themeing?

I noticed how low in the water these boats sit. You must get soaked! I love it.

This ride would fit in well at BGE.

Is that what you were thinking Chuck?

Now that you mention it, having this at BGE would rule! But Griffon should be nice for this season.

The restraints on the ride look cool, are they comfortable?

Yeah, I thought they were comfortable. They don't click like the most coasters but are like in Typhoon at Bobbejaanland, you can put them so far as you want.

This is one of the rides I have been most eagerly awaiting it's opening. It looks awesome. Even the que and loading station is amazing. Is the ride realy as average as you say, or were your expectations so high because of the time to open, and amazing themeing?

About the coaster part: I think it is a mixture of: that the theming is better than the coaster part, it is not really thrilling, it is quite short.

In short terms, the theming puts the coaster part in the shadows.

Ow yeah: and if anyone wants pictures in original size without copyright, just ask.

I love everything about De Efteling, the park is perfect, the ride ops and staff are so friendly towards everyone. I wish most of the Parks could be like this one,

Efteling always go out their way for effects and theaming.

I saw this ride being tested last May, Someone has posted a Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 version of the ride on youtube.com.

I can't wait to go back and visit the Park along with this lovely looking ride.

I was planning on visiting the first of April, when the park opens, but the ride is on the frontpage of like every major newspaper here in Holland. Or erm I mean, it's in there somewhere with a big picture.

I was bummed.

So I'm going monday 2nd of April, to avoid any peeps that didn't know about the ride, do know about it now, and will visit next sunday.

I may be able to get some more pics in as well, but from what I can see you already covered a lot, thanks for that

About the coaster part: I think it is a mixture of: that the theming is better than the coaster part, it is not really thrilling, it is quite short.

In short terms, the theming puts the coaster part in the shadows.

Dont forget also that the ride is a family attraction - not a high thrill coaster. Its not very tall (it doesnt even look as high as Pegasus across the lake) so I guess its something that theyve got out of the coaster part what they have. Efteling wanted the whole family from youngsters to gran and grandpa to be able to ride it.

Oh gosh, that music is cool.

Efteling has always been high on my list of parks I've wanted to visit. I'm actually quite happy to hear that the theming overshadows the roller coaster portion... it's not very often that you hear about someone putting that before thrills.

But, yes, this attraction looks way awesome... and that bread on the first page looks delicious as well.

Five days left, and Í'll be riding this thing. It looks amazing. Candidate for best themed roller coaster worldwide. Beat this Disney!

World records are temporary, legends are forever. Kingda Ka will lose its record within the next five years, Steel Dragon will be beaten by the next Intamin Gigacoaster and the design for a twelve looper is already there. But this kind of theming... makes you wanna go back to the park over and over again.

I agree with Janster about this kind of theaming for a ride, the people will come and re-visit as the feeling is so magical, even more than Disney's.

I would rather have De Eftling having these types of rides with amazing theaming than a 15 inversion steelie or launched woodie.

Leave the big rides inside the big parks, I would visit De Eftling more often than Thorpe Park which is slapped ontop of a sand quary with hardly any theaming.

Thorpe Park needs to have more trees n plants, it looks so bare