TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Bell's may be in trouble.

Here's the story - http://www.tulsaworld.com/NewsStory.asp?ID=061107_Ne_A9_Lease14389

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrg, and I had gotten so excited when the new woodie was announced... Surely, somehow, they'll pull through this, I can't imagine the expo leadership and the Tulsa community letting Bell's close, I mean, think of how much it does for Tulsa and the Expo. In fact, Bell's pulls in a sizeable percentage of the State Fair profits, and the tax revenue it gives back helps the ole' Tulsa budget. I can't imagine being without Bell's, I'd have to travel at least 3 hours to get and thrills.

I guess they could move to Jenks, but it would take them years, and Zingo would probably bite the dust.

Wow, this would be what? The 12th park this year to close?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.tulsaworld.com/NewsStory.asp?ID=061109_Ne_A1_Expir33432

So sad. Basically Bell's has 120 days to vacate. Publicly they have not yet responded. From the link above:

Bell's Amusement Park's lease with the fairgrounds expired Wednesday -- and so, too, perhaps, has its future at Expo Square.

In a letter sent to Tulsa County Public Facilities Authority members on Wednesday, Rick Bjorklund, president and CEO of Expo Square, recommended the authority not renew its contract with the amusement park.

No decision has been made on how the 10.4 acres that Bell's has leased will be used in the future, Orbison said.

"The easiest thing for it to be used for short-term is parking, and that has been considered," he said. "But we keep our options open for the use of that land for any other appropriate purposes."

I'm glad I was able to visit for a couple of hours this summer. Bell's was my original homepark. It looked the same as it always has: kind of junky and over a parking lot. It does have it's skeeballish charm though, and I will miss it if it goes.

I know Bell Senior had bought land in Jenks, and Broken Bow, for the fact that the fair board has told Bells they had to renew there lease a few years ago with a big cost jump. I hope Bell Jr. keep the land so he can move it.

You mean Broken Arrow I hope. Broken Bow is almost in Texas. I wouldn't be suprised if Jenks hasn't set aside some land for this contingency. With exception of what to do with the Zingo, I think Jenks would be a wise move. Location (right off Creek Tpk) would be great!

I just don't understand it, in the article they said they lost money the last two state fairs, but during them, they were packed out.

I think something must have been drastically wrong with how Robbie ran the place, cause there's no way there should be financial issues, except for the money they lost during the court battles.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarg, this was my home park, now I officially have no coasters to ride, unless I travel 3 hours. How did it go from planning a new woodie and 2 flats next year to this?

And what was the point of all this? Why are they so intent on turning a Tulsa tradition into a parking lot? What about the revenue? what about the tradition? What about what the community thinks? Heck, what about the lost income for the State Fair?

Is Zingo a good woodie coaster with lots of , worth saving from the "wrecking ball"..?

It's alright, there's usually a good amount on the back run, and the ride is pretty smooth for it's age. It also produces that tickly feeling in your stomach going down a few of those bigger drops, for me at least.

If not for that, it's worth saving because of how historic it is. I mean, how many John Allens are there left? They are disapearing all the time, they'll all be gone soon... Plus, it's OK's largest, and best woodie, and it's the only credit within three hours of me.

I hope Bell's at least re-locates, I can see them just throwing in the hat after getting hit in the face like this, but I can only hope. There's almost no chance Zingo would be saved if a new park was started anyway.

Btw, If anyone wants to know what the park/fair looks like, I have a photo TR here - http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29708&highlight=bells

and here - http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29303&highlight=bells

Once again, sorry to double post, but Screamscape has reported that a general outcry from Bell's has been noticed by the Expo leaders. PLEASE, everyone, contact the officials in that area and tell them how important Bell's is! Here's some contacts -

County Commissioners

District 1 - Wilbert Collins, Sr. 596-5020 wcollins@tulsacounty.org

District 2 - Randi Miller 596-5015 rmiller@tulsacounty.org

District 3 - Robert Dick 596-5010 rdick@tulsacounty.org

I don't know how to contact the Expo staff themselves, but when I do, I'll post that info here as well.

Yeah, so I was listening to coasterbuzz's podcast, which was partly on this subject, and they made a good point about how something must be terribly wrong behind the scenes for this to be considered. I mean, really, a parking lot vs. a 50 year old amusement park...

In addition, the Bartlesville Examiner Enterprise, and the Tulsa World had segments on Rick's response to the outcry. He said "We're not in a process like the one that elects the next american idol, where phone messages determine public policy. We are following the logical conclusion to an expired lease and willing to explore requests by Bell's"

Hmm, at first, what he siad made me want to smack him. So the outcry of hundreds of locals doesn't mean anything to you Rick? That's really nice, shows you how much you need to resign. It's the second part of the above quote that makes me perturbed at Robbie, who runs Bell's. Rob really needs to get in the game, arouse all the public and official support he can get, and make them really want to renew the lease. But then again, it's not his fault that they won't renew the lease.

Please, before they demolish one of the last remaining classic, independant amusement parks in America, please send a message of reason to Rick, at the address in the post above. Don't send a hate message, just a quick note explaining how important Bell's is and how a parking lot would be no substitute.

• 1 month later...

Once again, I'm hitting myself for double-posting, but I have a load of updates on the subject, and I didn't think this deserved a new topic.

Here's the most recent proposed site for Bell's - http://www.tulsaworld.com/NewsStory.asp?ID=061213_Co_zm1_STARC66

I don't know much about it, but land is land, and it's close to Tulsa. What's great to hear is that Robby said the decision on what will happen to Bell's will come within a month.

Cough... nice photo of Robby, looks like he really has been under a load of stress.

Edit - here's an even better article on Robb's visit to S.T.A.R. - CLICK HERE In this article, Robby sounds much more happy about the location, and noted that his amusement park as it is won't even fill the location, but if he did move there, he would "be very interested in the developement of the entire property." Sounds good.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope no one considers this as spam, but I really can't post the entire thing here. I've just written a large article detailing the facts around this case, and it can be found on here Click Here. I think I did a good job on it, but I'll probably re-write it a bit soon and go into even greater detail. It's late, but I really care about this park and all small businesses that are sent through this kind of unjust ordeal. Please read it and tell me what you think.

^That's what I'm praying for, but it sounds a bit like they want to just eradicate the entire park. Randi Miller and Rick Bjorklund have spent a lot of effort into convincing the public that Bell's has been run into the ground and needs to be razed for public safety, so they'll just want to knock it all down.

We'll see though, I'm still waiting for some news, it's been several weeks since I've heard anything, I'm hoping articles like mine will revive interest into supporting the park.

Oh, no please don't tear down the Phantasmagoria! They don't make them like that anymore. Haunted rides like that are a dying breed so as it is. We don't need to lose any more. Bill Tracy was the ride's creator and there's only several of his rides left. I'm afraid today's young generations are too jaded to appreciate the art and scares of a dark ride, they'd rather ride the latest, tallest, fastest coaster. That's why so many parks build extreme coasters, to attract Gen-Y er's. Such as Six Flags. That's why dark rides disappear unnoticed. The general public at large could care less about them. Also dark rides are maintenance headaches. We can only hope that this ride can be moved to the new location or otherwise saved. It would make me sick to my stomach to see it ripped apart, like what just happened to Dr. Blood's House of Horror in Wildwood, NJ another old Bill Tracy dark ride. It was closed for the past 20+ years.

^I share your concerns, Phantasmagoria was a crazy, fun, fantastic ride. Yup, I'm really wondering at this point what will survive this move, most of the flat rides will make it easily, but what about the car ride, log flume, slides, and of course, Zingo? I don't know, but I'm doubting much will make it, I foresee Robbie taking the flats with him, selling Zingo to the fair, and building a new woodie and cheap log flume at the new place. It's just not feasible to

"move" rides like Zingo and Phantasmagoria, in the end, what's been built is not the same ride, it's a re-make (not that re-makes are bad).

Eh, maybe Robbie will attempt to move some rides or re-make them, I sure hope he does, but right now he just needs to find a new place. As of last Tuesday, he was still looking.

• 2 weeks later...

^Let's hope so, its always been a very poor fair except for the Bell's end.

I have some more sad, sad news to report. All of the rides are disappearing, and several are confirmed to be destroyed for good, most notably the classic Bill Tracy dark ride, Phantasmagoria. Phantasmagoria was easily the second best ride in the park, and was classic, fun, and an over-all great attraction, it will be missed sorely. The car ride is pretty much confirmed to be toast as well, as are the chili peppers, log flume, and bumper cars. The date for the fair take-over is March 8, which leaves very little time for them to take out and move Zingo if they are going to try, which I doubt. If they gave up on Phantasmagoria, they'll probably give up on Zingo as well.

That really sucks. There are only about 10 Bill Tracy dark rides left and now there will be nine. Here they are- Haunted House, Trimper's, Ocean City, MD - Pirate's Cove, Trimper's, Ocean City, MD - Whacky Shack, Waldameer, Erie, PA - Pirate's Cove, Waldameer, Erie, PA - Fright Zone - formerly Erieview/now Conneaut Lake Park - Whacky Shack, Joyland - Fantastic Journey, Wonderland Park, Amarillo, TX - Lumalusions, Texas State Fair, Dallas, TX - Castle, Lake Winnepesaukah, Rossville, GA. What are they going to do with the props from Phantasmagoria? And the cars and track? It's a good thing the websites documented the rides when they did, just in case something bad happened. Lost Bill Tracy rides include Whacky Shack, Hunt's Pier, Wildwood, NJ - Bucket O' Blood, Dorney Park, Allentown, PA - Journey to the Center of the Earth, Dorney Park, Allentown, PA - Haunted Castle, Miracle Strip, Panama City, FL and others. I really like the style of the Bill Tracy rides because of the different scenes and stunts such as the crooked mine, rotating tunnel, and various scenes of horror. The thing is, they're irreplaceable. Bill Tracy passed away in the early 70's, and the company went defunct in 1979. One of the company's last projects was the Haunted Mansion at Rehoboth, DE which is still there. I hope the remaining Tracy rides have long life. If Joyland goes under, the Whacky Shack's a goner.