TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

An ACEr that lost weight?

bgwfreak

Hey guys...

I don't know why I never posted this over here, but thought I would since I have some friends here as well.

For those that didn't know I have been in the process of trying to lose about 80lbs (altogether).

I've currently lost almost 40 and I feel so much better! I won't go into everything here, but I did start a journal over on TN last year when I started out.

http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/showthread.php?t=33172&highlight=quest

Basically one of the breaking points for me was when I almost wasn't able to ride Top Gun (Carowinds).

They had too smash me into the thing (with 2 people pushing down too).

Now I can get the seatbelt locked all by myself!!! By spring I should be down about 3 or 4 clicks.

Anyway...just wanted to let some of my friends know. I know there was some concern, but as guys usually don't talk about personal things like women do (no offense) guys usually don't ask.

But anyway...my top weight was somewhere around 300+. I'm down probably 40 or maybe a few more ( haven't weighed this week ).

My family history is bad too. One grandfather died of cancer and the other a heart attack. Not good.

If any of you (especially the younger ones) ever think about getting lazy and gaining weight...don't. It's no fun. Trust me.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems most people on this forum are +200 lbs, What is that weight in "stone", e.g. my weight is 12 stone.

If I go up to 13 stone I will go on a diet till i'm 11.5 or 12 stone.

I have no idea. What does that mean?

I'd say that half of your typical coaster enthusiasts are at least somewhat overweight.

It's also scary to go to an American park and see all the people 400lbs or more and eating at the buffet!

B&M inverts aren't very forgiving if you're overweight. Thanx a lot skinny Swiss people!!!

If they have the larger seats, then that helps a lot. It would be nice if parks with the older B&M inverts that don't have the larger seats (Raptor, BTR clones etc.) would get at least 1 larger seat per train. At Dorney I see people needing those seats all the time. The other issue is newer B&M's (both inverts and floorless) and ones that got new restraints/belts have shorter belts. I read on RRC earlier this year that Alpengeist got shorter belts this year and I know for a fact Hydra's belts are shorter than Talon's.

Good job man. I was actually able to lose 55 lbs in 9 months when I was 16/17. I'm also in the process right now of losing about 20 lbs. Though my current goal isn't so much to lose weight but to just get into shape and stay healthier.

Keep up the good fight. It sucks and its tough, but its worth it.

Good for you! It must feel awesome to have lost that much already. I too struggled with weight much of my life, but a couple years ago I lost around 70 pounds. I don't think I would've fit on Millenium Force if I hadn't! I saw tons of people who didn't look overweight at all being turned away. It's always a struggle, but the end results are completely worth it, and once you get it off you want to keep it off so it's great insentive to stay healthy for life. Good luck with the other 40 pounds you want to lose.

If they have the larger seats, then that helps a lot. It would be nice if parks with the older B&M inverts that don't have the larger seats (Raptor, BTR clones etc.) would get at least 1 larger seat per train. At Dorney I see people needing those seats all the time. The other issue is newer B&M's (both inverts and floorless) and ones that got new restraints/belts have shorter belts. I read on RRC earlier this year that Alpengeist got shorter belts this year and I know for a fact Hydra's belts are shorter than Talon's.

Actually Top Gun had the "fat seats" but took them out for some reason.

Plus the fat seats were in the middle of the train. Kind of a bummer if you want to sit in the front or back.

I'm just glad I can fit in the regular seats now.

**UPDATE**

As of this week I've reached a new mile'stone'. I've lost 40lbs!

Dude - that is great! In case nobody here tells you this - I'm proud of you. It sounds easy, but I think you can attest that it is NOT EASY to do. Good for you (and your body thanks you as well.)

I had the epiphany about a year ago. I was 5'11" and 200lbs. I had always been "thin" and this was big for me. I found out that my Liver was getting messed up because I drank too much. I had become a lazy bar slob.

I quit drinking, started eating better, and taking walks. That helped me shed about 15 - 20 lbs and then joined the gym to get "in shape."

It feels great!

David

Weight has always been a struggle for me. I exercise, I get out to the gym when I can, but I'm still flabby. I'm 5'7 and weigh about 225 the last time I checked (I used to be about 245 three years ago). My dad, who also had a gut like mine, died of a heart attack at 53, which scares me. I want to change this, but there are certain problems...

- I work at a grocery store...too many temptations, especially in the break room vending machines.

- The way work schedules me, they give me no choice but to eat dinner at night frequently, which I know is bad. Often I have to have dinner at work, which usually involves microwaving something that's probably not good for me.

- I like fruit, but frankly, I hate vegetables. Most of them anyway. I can eat a salad made of mostly lettuce, but I physically gag when I try to eat most other vegetables. I know eating should be about nourishment, but I don't want it to be an unpleasant experience either.

- Portion control's an issue with me too. I always think I need more food than I really do. I end up stuffing myself, feel like crap about it later, but once I'm ready for my next meal, the same urge to stuff myself comes up again. It's a vicious cycle.

If anyone's got any advice to help me out, I'd love to hear it.