TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The end of The Python: A Photo TR

pianojohn

Well, since I had to work today at the park, I took one last spin on Python, which I believe is the oldest Arrow corkscrew still in operation. I knew that Knott's opened theirs in 1975 and I believe BGT's Python was 1976. I had ridden this model several times before, mostly at Geauga Lake in the 80's and once at Myrtle Beach.

Anyway, there was NO ONE is the park today! I got to ride it first and solo! Yep, just me, the car, and a pain in my neck that will last awhile!

Nothing much else to report. It ran rough, it rattled, it looped twice and made it back to the station. I will miss the dense foilage that has grown up around this coaster in the last 30 years, but the whole Congo area is in despreate need of an extreme makeover!

In my opinion, a nice observation tower or drop ride would fit in very well there. But whatever BGT does, I am sure it will be done tastefully and with class.

So long Python....now on to the pics!

UPDATE: More pics from Wednesday showing the area closed.

UPDATE 2! I took a pic yesterday from Sheikra that shows part of the Python being dismantled.

bgt1030.jpg.9a745941d6764ccebe1a6fc15ebcdca5.jpg

One last pic. Notice the splash behind me! Oh, and you must have double chins to ride Sheikra!

bgt10302.jpg.4f0271196526c28f57082066435b9d92.jpg

Ah....airtime!

bgt10303.thumb.jpg.7d5c06ecfd553a3217087f30c983e159.jpg

Oh yeah, I had to get my Sheikra fix. Notice the seagull wanted to make it into one of these photo TR's!

bgt10304.jpg.8b6606efd611294e4d3bee3ada4d9b94.jpg

Farewell Arrow!

bgt10305.jpg.43b27646d6bb5c126320e267789fb123.jpg

Yeah, we need some hedge trimmers STAT!

bgt10306.jpg.33328e2e75792bac64c9f80a20344e6d.jpg

I remember seeing this same shot back in the 70's in a Sunday magazine advertising Busch Gardens The Dark Continent!

bgt10308.jpg.e53a24872f4ca464785166d9c674048a.jpg

My attempt at taking a decent pic. Unfortunately, the other ones were too dark. Damn you shady trees!! And damn you bulging neck veins!

bgt10307.jpg.3145068c6f27955bc515235901593fa8.jpg

In action

bgt10309.jpg.1ddc7a023128e7b50e15d3c8b162c8f1.jpg

All ready for the last few riders

bgta.jpg.5dc275e4cbdfb18edb055e56e6d4f860.jpg

Pretty cars....which apparently are headed to BGW for Loch Ness Monster. Hmm...aren't these cars OLDER than the Loch Ness ones? But they do look nice!

bgtb.jpg.72432ad29fc0b0275b74beb926cdf35a.jpg

See...I told you the area was overgrown!

bgtc.jpg.4efc7a38d430f29110c420ea6026cec6.jpg

Some people go both ways!

bgtd.jpg.4a418a97ade3aa0d7093c6be0efeea91.jpg

The sign....wonder if this will show up on Ebay?

ac.jpg.5c7c878244023844b138798f81316ada.jpg

That's the way it looks for now.

ab.jpg.376b0d721779553f18e4b1673332e3a3.jpg

A sign at the bridge tells you where to go for more fun since the Congo is closed.

aa.jpg.d988d6281b1ddfb7b94d291248ddb5d5.jpg

Sorry folks...the moose out front should have told you!

After.jpg.9bc093b43316740a25ad05770d83ff5c.jpg

The parl map on Wednesday November 1, 2006

Before.jpg.f90de145663ebe0329ff10e3cae36016.jpg

The Park map on Monday October 30, 2006

python11-15.jpg.d1c9a111d41322d534d3b1762cb389f9.jpg

The Python as seen from Sheikra. The corkscrews appear to be gone, and the lift hill is missing from the station to about 20 feet up. This was the best pic I could get since the whole area is walled off.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One last pic. Notice the splash behind me! Oh, and you must have double chins to ride Sheikra!

Crap... now I'll never get to ride.

Anyways, I'm glad that I got the python credit in this spring - first inversion baby, yeah! Great photos - nice seagull, too!

Well, since I had to work today at the park, I took one last spin on Python, which I believe is the oldest Arrow corkscrew still in operation. I knew that Knott's opened theirs in 1975 and I believe BGT's Python was 1976.

Nope. Knotts was relocated to Silverwood, so the original is still around.

I rode the cork at Myrtle Beach, Cedar Point, BGA and Opryland. None of which I'll cry over. In fact I think CP's is the worst of the bunch and needs to be ripped out now!

After this was taken you either:

A) Turned into the Hulk

B) Were riding an Arrow

C) All of the above

I think it was probably C

Thanks for taking the pics, I won't miss the coaster since it was prettier to look at than ride, but still a nice farewell.

Nice TR. I never knew much about this coaster and I'll never get to ride it. I really want to ride an arrow and this was my best chance. The trains DO look very nice! I love the whole overgrown vegetation. Seems like it would take away some of the pain.

Great TR, it is always sad to see a coaster gone! I have rode many Arrow Corkscrews and sadly this was my last one. I will say after riding this coaster both my wife and son couldn't ride another ride all day due to their headaches. BGA is a awesome park and if they are looking to update space this is the proper place to do so. RIP Python RIP! I can't wait to see whats next in it's place. I'm a season pass holder and I live in KC,MO so that should tell all how much we think of that park!

The loops should be set up somewhere as garden sculpture or a museum piece; I always thought the original Arrow corkscrew loops with the over the top support system were really cool looking. I can't imagine how many times this has been photographed.

The loops should be set up somewhere as garden sculpture or a museum piece; I always thought the original Arrow corkscrew loops with the over the top support system were really cool looking. I can't imagine how many times this has been photographed.

They did that at Six Flags Great Adventure with Lightning Loops. The chimps climb all over them.

loop.jpg.08f285c335c7b9f609fa949bff68e083.jpg

From the African Safari

They did that at Six Flags Great Adventure with Lightning Loops. The chimps climb all over them.

Actually, that is from the Great American Scream Machine. Those loop tops were added to the Safari shortly after the 1993 GASM modifications. Lightning Loops was separated and shipped to Frontier City and Adventureworld (née Six Flags America).

Yes, riding Python at BGA on Wednesday, October 18 did bring back fond memories of the Roaring 20s Corkscrew at Knott's--of how much smoother these suckers were when they were new.

Gotta love the up-down-screw-screw layout.

I had to wedge myself into those Python trains, but the nice side was that I have no headbanging on Arrows because I am so tall.

It was a nice little ride and it's sad to see it go. It is seriously one of the most photogenic coasters ever--those two corkscrews look amazing with the foliage. And you can forget the old arch supports on them.

even though i wasn't a big fan of the ride i'm quite sad to see it go

it was my very first ride with an inversion which was nearly 10 years ago now

jeez i'm getting old lol i thought it was totally amazing the first time, but then as i rode bigger and SMOOTHER coasters i realised it wasnt as big as i rememebered lol

why are Arrow's getting torn down , am I the only one that doesn't get any roughness on them or something?

I wonder if those trains really are getting sent to the Loch Ness Monster......... It would be very ill-logical , Kinda like them using prototype trains on Drachen Fire.

Anyways, Im very sad that Python is going away , however Im hoping maybe something better will go in there. And the congo area realy does need to be redone, almost as badly as PKD's whole park

BYE PYTHON!!!!!! IM GONNA MISS YOU!!!!!!!!

I dont see what the big deal is with python going... I mean, if it was a crappy old coaster with an origional layout... then i can get the idea... but there are probably 50 other identcal coasters...

but there are not, there are maybe 20 left! and Arrow Dynamics was a pioneering company. and even if that wasn't the case, you would have to admit that any coaster getting destroyed is sad