Photo TR: BACT Goes to Hungary, Austria and Germany

Part Four posted 10/16: Schloß Beck and Movie Park (page 3)
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Can I park my donkey here?

Photo TR: BACT Goes to Hungary, Austria and Germany

Postby J.R. » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:37 pm

Tim, Dave and I visited Hungary, Austria and Germany, meeting up with Greg (Gluten Frei) and Derek (TPR Superstar) in Germany, where we became "fünf". The cities and parks we visited included:

Budapest--Vidam Park
Vienna--Wiener Prater
Salzburg--a bit of sightseeing and The Sound of Music
Bottrop--Schloß Beck and Movie Park
Brühl--Phantasialand
Munich--Oktoberfest with CoasterFriends.de!
Rammingen---Skyline Park (and back to Munich for more Oktoberfest)
Stuttgart--Cannstatter Volksfest
Rust--Europa Park
Haßloch--Holiday Park

Despite a few technical snafus, mostly flight related, we had an excellent time. I'll let the pictures tell the story. Tim's writing a lengthier report with all the details, so keep an eye out for that!

(I see he's already posted it--sorry if some of these photos turn out to be duplicates.)

Janna
IMG_1997.jpg
Hungarian dude in our hotel lobby
IMG_1998.jpg
Close-up.
IMG_2000.jpg
Tim's happy to be in Hungary. Hey Tim, the Sex Shop is the other way!
IMG_2008.jpg
I'm glad we're not driving!
IMG_2020.jpg
Yay-new subway credit!
IMG_2017.jpg
The trains were quite old but ran fine. The system was easy to figure out, once we decided what type of ticket to buy.
IMG_2021.jpg
These ladies were setting up shop near the station. They had a small, interesting array of things for sale.
IMG_2040.jpg
Church in the Castle District.
IMG_2041.jpg
Detail of church, under scaffolding. We might've gone in, if it didn't cost us.
IMG_2042.jpg
Fisherman's Bastion, on the Buda side of Budapest. Great views from here.
IMG_2043.jpg
More of the same.
IMG_2048.jpg
Hey, it looks just like Pittsburgh!
IMG_2052.jpg
This shows Parliament, where the riots that broke out just before we left were supposed to be going on.
IMG_2068.jpg
More from Fisherman's Bastion.
IMG_2085.jpg
Hey, this looks like Pittsburgh, too!
IMG_2089.jpg
Cannons and stuff.
IMG_2096.jpg
Entrance to Vidam Park.
IMG_2098.jpg
This one's for you, Mark.
IMG_2100.jpg
This one too.
IMG_2101.jpg
This is the facade for Tukorutveszto, a better than usual mirror labyrinth.
IMG_2102.jpg
Mesecsonak; a Fairy Tale Old Mill-type boat ride. Slowest ever but still light years better than Garfield's Nightmare. You can see Hullamvasut in the background.
IMG_2105.jpg
Hullamvasut.
IMG_2106.jpg
IMG_2109.jpg
IMG_2111.jpg
Closer look at the trains.
IMG_2143.jpg
If you want the front, you may need to hop on before the train stops, like Rutschebanen at Tivoli.
IMG_2152.jpg
This is the view from the top of Hullamvasut.
IMG_2156.jpg
Hey, there's Tim up front!
IMG_2158.jpg
More Hullamvasut.
IMG_2164.jpg
IMG_2174.jpg
An unfortunate haircut.
IMG_2115.jpg
Looping Star, the Schwarzkopf formerly at Dreamland in the UK.
IMG_2118.jpg
Kukomotiv, with a tunnel! By Daniel Pinfari, Italy!
IMG_2122.jpg
This was a bizarre Whip. Did not look like a Mangels at all. Both the tubs and mechanism seemed different.
IMG_2123.jpg
Check out the tubs, with London theming.
IMG_2124.jpg
Panoramakerek.
IMG_2126.jpg
Szellemvasut (Ghost Ride). One of two dark rides with a homemade Spiderman in it!
IMG_2094.jpg
The building that houses Korhinta, a stunningly beautiful Merry-Go-Round.
IMG_2130.jpg
Inside the building.
IMG_2129.jpg
The horses faced outward and rocked back and forth on these giant springs.
IMG_2131.jpg
There were also rocking boats.
IMG_2132.jpg
A chariot.
IMG_2135.jpg
Children enjoying the ride.
IMG_2141.jpg
Directional signs at the park. We still had to consult our map and ride list for translations for some of the names.
IMG_2125.jpg
Free of charge!

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Primogen18 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:46 am

Nice Photo TR, with some very interesting pics. That carousel looks really unique and quite large. I've never seen any rocking horses or ships before. Im guessing that woody is a scenic railway/side friction with those type of trains with the wooden benches.

Hot Coaster Chick!

Postby niiicolaaah » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:52 am

Hi Janna! Nice pics so far. Budapest looks gorgeous. Primogen18 just said the other two things I was going to say so... yeah. Looking forward to more pictures!

Nicole
Parks: 71| Wood: 68 | Steel: 272 | Total Coasters: 340 | States: 23| Countries: 6

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby viking86 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:00 am

Nice pictures! I loved Looping Star when I rode it last year.

Btw, Im soooo dissappointed that you didnt visit Erlebnispark Strasswalchen on the trip. Its not that far from Salzburg :P

Looking forward to the pictures from Prater. It really is an amazing place!

Postby J.R. » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:59 pm

Primogen18 wrote:Nice Photo TR, with some very interesting pics. That carousel looks really unique and quite large. I've never seen any rocking horses or ships before. Im guessing that woody is a scenic railway/side friction with those type of trains with the wooden benches.

We saw a couple of carousels elsewhere on the trip with the rocking horses but none as large as those.

Yeah, Hullámvasút (Hungarian for "Riding the Waves") is a scenic railway. You can see the brakeman in the middle if you look carefully. This was probably the slowest and least interesting of all the scenic railways I've ridden (Rutschebanen, Bakken and Tivoli; Scenic Railway, Dreamland; Hochschaubahn, Prater and Vuoristorata, Linnanmäki).

Janna

Postby J.R. » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:32 pm

viking86 wrote:Nice pictures! I loved Looping Star when I rode it last year.

Btw, Im soooo dissappointed that you didnt visit Erlebnispark Strasswalchen on the trip. Its not that far from Salzburg :P

Looking forward to the pictures from Prater. It really is an amazing place!

I had Prater halfway done tonight and then it all went "Poof!" and disappeared when I went to make a sandwich. I'll try again tomorrow, possibly posting in smaller installments to prevent losing everything again.

Janna

Part Two: Prater posted

Postby J.R. » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:08 pm

Part Two: Weiner Prater, Vienna, Austria

We arrived in Vienna via train late in the evening. The next morning after breakfast, we dropped our luggage off at the train station and took public transportation to Prater Park. We didn't do any sightseeing in Vienna, but Dave and I had both been before and I was kind of unimpressed then, so I don't feel like I missed anything. For more details, see N'at Man's Ok-Coaster-Fest Trip Reports. On to the photos...

Janna
IMG_2189.jpg
Park entrance.
IMG_2190.jpg
Entrance with the famous Riesenrad in the background.
IMG_2192.jpg
Biergarten. Prater reminded me a bit of Bakken but with way more rides. It's within a larger park and there are many independently operated rides, restaurants and attractions. Unfortunately, there's no POP option.
IMG_2195.jpg
Hey, a French Fry Dudelike the one at Mount Olympus!
IMG_2196.jpg
Prater mascot guy.
IMG_2200.jpg
The cabins of the Riesenrad Ferris Wheel. ("When the hungries hit, hit the Red Barn...")
IMG_2213.jpg
More Riesenrad.
IMG_2214.jpg
Graffitti inside one of the cabins. The pristine cabins are reserved for dining and special events.
IMG_2206.jpg
View from the Riesenrad.
IMG_2209.jpg
and another...
IMG_2210.jpg
and another...
IMG_2211.jpg
and another.
IMG_2197.jpg
Dizzy Mouse, a Reverchon spinning mouse.
IMG_2198.jpg
Close up of the tunnel. We probably would have had to spring for another ride to get a photo of a train in the tunnel; there were very few customers when we arrived and we had to wait for several of the rides to open.
IMG_2218.jpg
Super 8er Bahn, a Pinfari FC80 that was actually quite pleasant due to the lap bars.
IMG_2219.jpg
Here's one for the beer thread!
IMG_2223.jpg
One of several carousels, with one of several bumper car rides in the background.
IMG_2224.jpg
Tim and Dave with the Prater guy, in front of Extasy.
IMG_2225.jpg
Soriani and Moser Extasy. I was hoping this would be similar to my favorite flat ride, the Moser Extreme. Unfortunately, it wasn't--the cars didn't flip and you spent a lot of time upside-down. Not too bad though.
IMG_2226.jpg
Extasy detail.
IMG_2227.jpg
The operator's booth. A lot of the operators here get into providing a complete experience, choreographing music to go along with the ride and providing commentary during the ride.
IMG_2228.jpg
A Zamperla Mr. Muscle. These were all over the place.
IMG_2229.jpg
Amadeus, Amadeus, Rock Me Amadeus! (I like how they've removed The "-per" from both signs...)
IMG_2230.jpg
This dog is on his way home...
IMG_2231.jpg
...home being the Geister Schloss (Ghost Castle). This was an very good dark ride, with a simple but effective surprise at the end. For some reason, this one had a Spiderman in it too, like the ones at Vidam.
IMG_2235.jpg
This one's for you, Mark! Free of charge!
IMG_2236.jpg
Tim can't wait for it to open.

Postby J.R. » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:44 pm

More Prater photos....
IMG_2237.jpg
One area of the park had a lot of these interesting sculptures.
IMG_2241.jpg
IMG_2253.jpg
This was my favorite.
IMG_2239.jpg
IMG_2245.jpg
Another dark ride. This one had real old-school "sensors"--the car would hit a board that would trigger the stunt. I made a note of a "collapsing bridge" effect on this ride but don't remember it now....
IMG_2242.jpg
Loved this ride--nothing at all like the one at Blackpool. This one went at varying speeds and also bounced up and down. The operator seemed to be challenging riders to stand.
IMG_2254.jpg
Maurer Sohne Wilde Maus.
IMG_2255.jpg
Glocke. Didn't ride it.
IMG_2256.jpg
Walk-through attraction.
IMG_2257.jpg
IMG_2259.jpg
Liliputbahn--train ride. This thing went way far out. We got out maybe half way (but weren't sure) and still had to walk back a ways to the attractions.
IMG_2264.jpg
IMG_2270.jpg
"Kid's World". This seemed like a newer or recently redone part of the park.
IMG_2271.jpg
IMG_2272.jpg
IMG_2273.jpg
This part of the park also had the best bathrooms (not free, though).
IMG_2274.jpg
Another carousel.
IMG_2300.jpg
Hochschaubahn--a 1950 scenic railway. It had very charming theming, including mountains, waterfalls, plants, and water-shooting elves.
IMG_2281.jpg
Hochschaubahn
IMG_2282.jpg
Hochschaubahn
IMG_2284.jpg
Hochschaubahn
IMG_2283.JPG
Hochschaubahn. There's the Prater guy again.
IMG_2288.jpg
IMG_2292.jpg
IMG_2293.jpg
IMG_2295.jpg
That's a bar/restaurant to the right.
IMG_2296.jpg
This cat appeared to live at Hochschaubahn. It jumped out of the train when we arrived to ride.
IMG_2303.jpg
IMG_2306.jpg
IMG_2307.jpg
IMG_2304.jpg
IMG_2309.JPG
The ride as seen from back, on another midway.
IMG_2310.JPG
Toboggan. I really wanted to ride this but when we got a closer look, it looked like it had been closed for a while and could fall apart at any time.
IMG_2311.jpg
It had a conveyor belt to get you closer to the top quickly, similar to one we saw at Oktoberfest.
IMG_2317.jpg
Auto BergBahn. Could be counted as a credit. I just wanted to ride it because it was so adorable.
IMG_2318.jpg
IMG_2321.jpg
IMG_2324.jpg
IMG_2327.jpg
Megablitz, a Vekoma custom. Not bad.
IMG_2328.jpg
IMG_2333.jpg
IMG_2335.jpg
IMG_2338.jpg
The Boomerang was closed for painting. Darn.
IMG_2339.jpg
We missed you, Buddy!
IMG_2340.jpg
Hey, it's El Toro and there's no line!
IMG_2343.jpg
The Ponykarussell. PETA would not approve.
IMG_2346.jpg
Fresh horses.
IMG_2341.jpg
Here's one for the beer thread.
IMG_2342.jpg
Budweiser Budvar. Definately not Wally's Budweiser. This stuff is tasty *and* potent.
IMG_2349.jpg
After a few beers we were ready for the Star Flyer. Kind of scary at first but ultimately very thrilling. We got a pretty long cycle, going up to the top several times.
IMG_2248.jpg
IMG_2323.jpg
Auf Wiedersehen!

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby disneyfan1313 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:03 pm

Awesome TR! I love seeing these random parks in Europe. The french fry guy looks stoned!

Text me about my Delorean - (559) 940-3525

Postby Ryan King » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:18 pm

Dude! I rode that Ferris Wheel In Austria! I Was SOOO mad that those coasters were closed! GAH! This TR made me upset that I coudlnt get those credits!

But! None the less! Awesome TR! As He^ said above...its awesome seeing these odd-ball parks! Something besides SF and Universal Studios!

-Ryan King :dude:

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive