Photo TR: Derek and Nicole do PPP

Knoebels and Dorney
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I'm the gyro!

Photo TR: Derek and Nicole do PPP

Postby DerekRx » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:06 pm

A yearly tradition for me is PPP at Knoebels. Ever since my first event in 1998, I haven't missed a year yet, not even during school in Florida. This year though I was lucky enough to be able to show Nicole around one of the most charming parks in the country on one of the best days to visit. While the event may have gotten a little "too" popular lately, really advertised for the non-enthusiasts and such, its an event I don't ever plan on missing.

Our time was brief at PPP though, as our core group was all split up on arrival times and such. Some of us BACTers decided to start Saturday off with some Selings Grove Brewing Company for lunch before heading to the park. Really a great little place, but you'll have to check out the beer thread for that part of the story.

By the time we got to Knoebels, it was already well after 2pm, and our friends were scattered thoughout the park. The main purpose now was getting on as much as possible to show Nicole the uniqueness of the place. Luckily the weather was really nice (albeit cold) compared to last year. We managed to accomplish everything, had plenty of rides thru the course of the night, and really enjoyed ourselves as expected. In all, the event wasn't overly crowded, just the antique car ride was. While it was strange not being in a large group like usual, we did see lots of friends, though just in passing. Looking forward to next year's event!
PPP06001.jpg
Friday night I stopped off at camp, where Ted was nice enough to bring me a HopDevil!
PPP06002.jpg
He had one too while he manned the grill, kabobbing like crazy
PPP06022.jpg
Arriving Saturday and parking at the campground, we were welcomed into the park by the train, now in fall foliage fashion
PPP06023.jpg
Rides would have to wait though, as we needed some of Knoebels good food that wouldn't be opened that night
PPP06024.jpg
Some of the staples of Knoebels food is found over at the Covered Bridge festival in the pavilion area.
PPP06027.jpg
And the Covered Bridge Festival is one of the only places you can get Penn State Creamery ice cream
PPP06028.jpg
Heath even got his in a chocolate waffle cone
PPP06029.jpg
Exclusive shot for TPR of the park entrance sign, found in the middle of the park
PPP06030.jpg
Since we had a few hours to kill before PPP actually started, we did tickets for a few rides
PPP06033.jpg
Ah Phoenix, the American version of Balder
PPP06034.jpg
Hopefully this will be ready next April!
PPP06036.jpg
OMG, I'm "inside" the trough
PPP06035.jpg
For those of you who don't want to see me in the trough shot, here. (why would you NOT want to see me though!?)
PPP06038.jpg
There was a roll of random nails laying around
PPP06039.jpg
So I tried to stick them in my mouth.
PPP06040.jpg
I then signed the piece of wood (not as cool as on Balder)
PPP06042.jpg
Represent!
PPP06043.jpg
Since they actually came out for a coaster event, they got to sign with our signature slogan
PPP06044.jpg
One more shot of a rare new woodie
PPP06045.jpg
Time for Nicole to get more credits than Erik Johnson
PPP06049.jpg
Definitely not your average kiddie coaster, no matter how tame it looks
PPP06050.jpg
Obligatory shot of hot people on the skyride
PPP06051.jpg
Then it was back to the craft fair for some pumpkin rice pudding in a cone!
PPP06052.jpg
As PPP officially began, we saw Rich and Melanie in the money seat on Phoenix
PPP06057.jpg
Then it was time for some Twister, which seldomly gets a line at PPP
PPP06058.jpg
Heath does his happy Twister dance
PPP06059.jpg
Luckily, snapNazi wasn't there for Nicole's only ride on the Flyers for the evening
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

I'm the gyro!

Postby DerekRx » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:27 pm

Usually on Sunday I hang around Knoebels for more rides and craft fair, known as Hangover Day. However, with Nicole in town and us not knowing the situation for next year, we decided to take this opportunity to visit Dorney Park. Besides that, Rich and Melanie were planning on going, so we'd have some cool people to hang out with.

As usual, Dorney was pretty dead on a Sunday at the end of the season. In their Halloweekends mode, the park has a few haunted attractions opened, but nothing nearly on par with even the worst house at HHN.
PPP06060.jpg
Welcome to Dorney, now in Halloween mode
PPP06061.jpg
They throw up corn and other Fall stuff like pumpkins
PPP06062.jpg
But we came so Nicole could increase her coaster count even more this year
PPP06063.jpg
I am the master of the Talon vertical loop shot. Don't even attempt to challenge me
PPP06064.jpg
Talon was running fairly well, but as Nicole said, its just "meh" (and this coming from someone who only rode like 2 other B&M Inverts!)
PPP06067.jpg
But at least it looks cool
PPP06068.jpg
Hydra, the more I ride it, the more boring it becomes. (and it vibrates a lot!)
PPP06069.jpg
$0.25 cotton candy....must buy...too cheap to pass up
PPP06070.jpg
This Fright Zone is sponsored by Chik-Fil-A apparently, and doesn't operate on Sundays
PPP06071.jpg
Trademark shot of 2 of Dorney's oldest and best coasters
PPP06072.jpg
Although there year round, this haunted house is only opened in October
PPP06076.jpg
Hey Joe, how's it going
PPP06082.jpg
Steel Force was running pretty much brakeless, and proved to be the 2nd best coaster at the park today
PPP06088.jpg
The "graveyard" was kinda cool, acknowledging all of Cedar Fair's butchering
PPP06083.jpg
One good thing CF did...
PPP06086.jpg
But how many of these rides would you rather ride now instead of those extra 12 trashcans that replaced them each?
PPP06091.jpg
One of the park's arcades was turned into another haunted house, where you could buy 3-D glasses for $1. Possibly lamer than House Bastard!
PPP06092.jpg
Probably the best of the "haunts" was the kiddie funhouse
PPP06093.jpg
Although its easy to forget, a true credit whore will not pass on Woodstock's Express
PPP06095.jpg
See, proof!
PPP06096.jpg
The final ride of the day before departing for BrewWorks was the Wild Mouse. Can someone explain why only 2 adults can ride in a car, when every other Maurer Sohne mouse can have 4??? Lamest policy EVER. updates complete
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

Hot Coaster Chick!

Postby niiicolaaah » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:45 pm

Derek... get your facts straight... before Talon I rode THREE other B&M Inverts! ;)
Parks: 71| Wood: 68 | Steel: 272 | Total Coasters: 340 | States: 23| Countries: 6

The Resident Vegetarian Hippie

Postby Hercules » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:53 pm

Nice report. Although I can no longer stand Dorney and Cedar Fair, I was upset that I wasn't able to make it up there.

The Hercules tombstone just kills me. :cry:

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby YoshiFan » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:06 pm

2 adults can only ride in the Wild Mouse car because Cedar Fair is probably just being over protective. They claim there is a 680 pound (if it's not 680, it's around that number) weight limit. Just like how other rides in the park have weight limits yet you don't see the same rides in other parks having these weight limits. Combined with the horrible loading procedure for the Wild Mouse and it almost always seems to have a line that's not worth waiting in.

That cemetery of past rides is a little upsetting to see tomb stones for Journey, Water Skooters, Joker, Hercules etc. since it reminded me of rides I miss or rides I never had a chance to experience (Journey). I was kind of surprised to see it a few weeks ago since I had never been to the park during Halloweekends before this season (or is it new this year?)

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby Canadmos » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:10 pm

Great report!

^I have that exact same mini grill thing..

I taste better with A1

Postby TheStig » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:17 pm

The final ride of the day before departing for BrewWorks was the Wild Mouse. Can someone explain why only 2 adults can ride in a car, when every other Maurer Sohne mouse can have 4??? Lamest policy EVER. updates complete

Because its Cedar Fair, thats why!

Colin C

Hot Coaster Chick!

Postby niiicolaaah » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:19 pm

YoshiFan wrote:2 adults can only ride in the Wild Mouse car because Cedar Fair is probably just being over protective. They claim there is a 680 pound (if it's not 680, it's around that number) weight limit. Just like how other rides in the park have weight limits yet you don't see the same parks in other rides having these weight limits. Combined with the horrible loading procedure for the Wild Mouse and it almost always seems to have a line that's not worth waiting in.

Some adults weigh as much as Derek and I combined. Heck, four 75-pound kids would weigh more than Derek and I combined. It's a stupid "rule".

(not trying to antagonize you, I'm agreeing with you :))
Parks: 71| Wood: 68 | Steel: 272 | Total Coasters: 340 | States: 23| Countries: 6

The Resident Smart-Ass

Postby CoasterFanatic » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:23 pm

and this coming from someone who only rode like 2 other B&M Inverts!

And one of them was Nemesis so it doesn't matter.
Ted

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby Schmoofy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:42 pm

I really wish I made PPP this year, but hey, Dorney's still open and I don't have my front-row Hydra credit yet. Nice report Derek, but no pictures of Knoebels' Haunted House? :cry:

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive