Photo TR: Phoenix Phall Phunfest

One of many, I'm sure
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
The Resident Vegetarian Hippie

Photo TR: Phoenix Phall Phunfest

Postby Hercules » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:08 am

I hit up Phoenix Phall Phunfest this year. Last year I got rained out, so this was my first. I am no longer a Phunfest virgin. I have to say, I really had a blast!

I met up with Rich (coaster05), his wife Melanie (funkybadger), Rich's sister and her husband to which I believe are not registered here and for those purposes will remain nameless (correct me if I am wrong), Mike (who I don't know his screenname on here) and Larry (larrygator). We also ran into Derek and Nicole somewhere along the way, and Ted for the last few rides on the Flyers.
HPIM0691.JPG
I woke up a little late, but I didn't think it would be that big of a problem as I was expecting smooth traveling all the way to Elysburg. Look! There is Dorney!
HPIM0693.JPG
But of course, who was I kidding? This is Pennsylvania - state symbol: the orange cone.
HPIM0694.JPG
Yeah I know. There was a sign 5 miles ago that say "Road Work 6 miles." I passed first grade thank you very much.
HPIM0696.JPG
oooooo, my favorite!
HPIM0697.JPG
Since I was itching to use my camera along the way, and didn't have any coasters in front of me, I took a picture of the hick's paradise, Cabella's. I figured it would fit in with the them for the day at...
HPIM0698.JPG
... Knoebels! I made it! It's about freakin' time.
HPIM0700.JPG
I had never seen the parking lot so full at this place. And then, all of the venders out front made it hard to find the entrance to the park. I just followed the ferris wheel.
HPIM0699.JPG
Twister, from afar.
HPIM0702.JPG
Since it was like, um, 3:30, I figured it was useless to get the stamp for the afternoon ride session so I just bought some tickets to hold me over. And where did I head first?
HPIM0703.JPG
The Flyers. Duh.
HPIM0704.JPG
That was where I was scolded thoroughly by this man. Apparently he didn't like the fact that I was snapping so much. "Tone it down! TONE IT DOWN!"
HPIM0708.JPG
I know that there are road construction enthusiasts out there, but I'm sure that the coaster construction enthusiasts want a little action.
HPIM0709.JPG
You could really get up close. You love it don't you? Want more?
HPIM0710.JPG
Oh yeah. That is nice.
HPIM0712.JPG
Wow. Just... wow.
HPIM0714.JPG
Some lift hill action.
HPIM0716.JPG
Curvy. Just the way I like it.
HPIM0717.JPG
That's a lot of wood.
HPIM0719.JPG
This photo rated NC-17 for nerdiness.
HPIM0723.JPG
An exclusive POV.
HPIM0724.JPG
So they let the nerds sign some of the wood.
HPIM0725.JPG
You know that.
HPIM0726.JPG
A little side...... trough?
HPIM0727.JPG
Oh dear God. I think I might need to change my pants a little.
HPIM0728.JPG
Love it.
HPIM0729.JPG
Deserves it.
HPIM0732.JPG
Still love it.
HPIM0733.JPG
It is amazing to me that there have not been any deaths at this place.
HPIM0734.JPG
Cheesy Halloween stuff.
HPIM0736.JPG
Very nice painting. Yours for just $69.
HPIM0738.JPG
Oh God. I think I just did it again. Guess I better go change again.
HPIM0739.JPG
This dog gets my "Cutest dog of the day" Award.
HPIM0744.JPG
Phhhttt. It's all about Hoffman's, or so I hear.
HPIM0745.JPG
After saying that Hoffman's are better, these things decided to kick my butt, causing back spasms that haunted me for the rest of the night. Thanks sciatica!
HPIM0751.JPG
No pierogies today. Guest relations will here from me.
HPIM0750.JPG
At 5 the only things open were Haunted Mansion and some laser tag thing. This was the line for Haunted Mansion, and I am proud to say that I didn't come out crying like a baby.
HPIM0752.JPG
While in line for the laser tag thing, there was an ungodly funk of a stinch that filed the air. We figured out it was Sir Scatch-a-Lot at the back of the line here.
HPIM0753.JPG
We then found out that Sir Scratch-a-Lot was also Mr. Stinky Finger, which was the cause for the smell. And that wasn't the first time he did this either. I guess he didn't get the job done the first time. No laser tag for us.
HPIM0755.JPG
Rich and Melanie are on this train and in the money seat nonetheless (first car, third row) which defies everything that I have learned about coasters over the last 2 years.
HPIM0760.JPG
Twister ran very well today. I was impressed.
HPIM0763.JPG
This member of X-Men was all about Twister.
HPIM0765.JPG
Where else will you find a member of KISS taking a spin on a flyer scooter?
HPIM0757.JPG
These dogs know what's up.
HPIM0774.JPG
The haunted antique cars were great. Someone actually jumped on top of Rich and Melanie's vehicle and rode on top of it for 100 feet or so before crawling down and scaring the crap out of them. Larry's driving was scary enough for Mike and I.
HPIM0775.JPG
What you might find along the way on the ride.
HPIM0776.JPG
Those crazy Twister ops.
HPIM0777.JPG
Poor 4. Nobody wants to ride you because we are all in line for row 3. Phoenix rocks.
HPIM0778.JPG
Upon leaving there is only one place to stop. SHHHEEEEEETZZZZ!

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:33 am

The Mike we met up with was "BigMike". He has not dropped off the face of the earth, just had spotty internet access for the past couple of months.

Great hanging with you again Jay and nice pic of Mr. Stink Finger

Postby Hercules » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:40 am

It's always a great time when you are around Larry. Thanks for putting up with me again.

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:02 am

Darn it, everyone told me to sit in the very front row of Phoenix for the very best ride. I have to admit I was not disapointed, but now from your Photo TR I learn that row 3 is the best? Nice Photo TR, I really want to get back to Knoebels sometime.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Jim S. » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:54 am

In my experience there's a little more airtime in the third seat than the first, but the real ejector experience is to be found in the very last seat. So much so that you have to be careful how you land. (For people who haven't been there, Phoenix has the classic very high, single-position lap bars.) The only time I haven't had a rough landing in the back was here at my first Phunfest. It wasn't that Phoenix wasn't running fast -- it was -- but for some reason every ride I had was smoother than every other day I've been there, and there was a lot more floating feeling between the expected pops. In fact, there were times I could swear I couldn't hear the top wheels on the track.

Bubbles!

Postby ParkTrips » Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:00 am

Question is... did you get Rich to love the Skooters? Or at least punish him severely for being a tool?

Oh.. and nice stuff. Wood troughs are sexy ::D

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Shavethewhales » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:16 am

Oh man, awsome photos. I never knew Twister was so big, I always thought it was smaller than Pheonix...

Yet another "I've really gotta get there someday" park for me.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Ccron10 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:08 pm

Great TR. I was in the area a week ago and I came across some signs advertising it. I wished I could of gone. :( What were some of the waiting times?

Postby Hercules » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:40 pm

Joe - Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to ride the Skooters with Rich. However, I hear that he got a few good runs.

Side note: Reason I didn't make it to Dorney today is because I can't move. The Skooters screwed me up yesterday.

As for wait times, I think the longest I waited for anything other than the haunted antique cars (long line that moved very fast.... 20 minute wait)was for the Flyers at about 12 minutes. Phoenix was about a 10 minute wait at most and Twister was about a 2-3 train wait at most.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:25 pm

I'm a big fan of the last car of Phoenix, but the air was even better in the first car third row last night.

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive