The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 3994 - New Twisted Colossus Update!
Users viewing this topic: Jew, JRHcoasterki and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby azza29 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:39 pm

DBJ wrote:What has been killing it in the local market have been the dark rides like RSR and Transformers. If they could tap into part of that trend, I think it would help overall.

Possibly, but SFMM don't have the sort of capital Universal and Disney are able to put into their dark rides. I mean, RSR cost $200m and Transformers was $100m against Yolocoaster's $6m. So the park will have to find other ways to bring in the crowds.

If I was running the park the first thing I'd do is improve the operations. I'd add a staff member to the more popular coasters to assign rows and maximise capacity (as is the current practice on GL and X2). On my last visit it wasn't uncommon to see 6-8 empty seats on some trains simply because some rows only had 1 or 2 riders. Extrapolate that across an hour (assuming one train dispatches every 2 minutes) and you could potentially get another 200-250 people on the ride, which would have a huge impact on wait times. Cost would be minimal, and it would actually make Flash passes more valuable since you wouldn't end up with 30 minute station waits after skipping the queue.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby singemfrc » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:53 pm

^ Along the same lines (no pun intended) add some single rider lines, or worst case if there is no room for a SR line, have an operator call for single riders when possible. I really think you can get an SR line on just about anything if you want to.

Postby Wes » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:14 pm

I just can't imagine SFMM getting a dark ride that wasn't done on the cheap. Even the Terminator theming was so-so but crapped out a few months in.
SFMM doesn't need to compete with Universal or Disney. Their strength is big and gimmicky coasters...as long as they get their season pass sales every year they're fine.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby Fire2box » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:53 pm

coasternut wrote:
Koasterking48 wrote:^^ Think if they held off on building Yolocoaster for another two or three years and focused on smaller investments and necessary improvements. I think that Yolocoaster would have a larger, more expansive layout and not be short and (dare I say) gimmicky. Unfortunately, they've pretty much scared off many families and are going to have to really try hard if they want to win them back in the future. While I do not know much about the Jay Thomas era, from what I heard he was a great GM and knew what the park needed. Who is the new guy anyway?

The" new guy" is a woman - The Ice Queen aka Bonnie Rabjon. I may have spelled her name incorrectly, but the got the "Ice Queen" correct.

When I finally used my VIP tour my party and our guide were walking to ride Scream first. I asked the guide if the park manager was there (out of curiosity) and shes like "Oh we just passed her." I just found it weird she wouldn't at least say hi to the two VIP groups that were there. (saw a second VIP group going on Batman.)

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Rollercoaster Rider » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:57 pm

Wes wrote:I just can't imagine SFMM getting a dark ride that wasn't done on the cheap. Even the Terminator theming was so-so but crapped out a few months in.
SFMM doesn't need to compete with Universal or Disney. Their strength is big and gimmicky coasters...as long as they get their season pass sales every year they're fine.

Since this thread has turned into Magic Mountain needs a dark ride... How about something like Justice League Alien Invasion? Cost a reported 9 Million Australian according to Sally.
Proud Member of the 300 Coaster Club.
Joined June 16, 2012
Proud Member of the 400 Coaster Club
Joined August 17, 2013

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:50 am

Just an FYI: having worked in this industry my entire adult life, I can tell you that most high ups are similar to the "ice queen." They walk the park, are friendly to guests who approach them, but are all business otherwise. It's just the way it is. They have so much to do behind the scenes, their walks in the parks are usually kept on a tight schedule.

Jay Thomas put on a fantastic show, but didn't do enough behind the scenes to keep his job.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Top Thrill Dragster » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:30 am

^Wasn't Jay Thomas promoted?
Apollos Chariot #1!

I annoy the Title Fairy every other week!

Postby Voxelmatic » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:07 am

Quick question here, does Magic Mountain still use the Q-Bots for the Flash Pass, or have they switched to the wristbands?
I'm probably TPR's biggest fan of Premier Rides.
I'm Batman.
I rode Skyrush before it was cool.
Check out my latest theme park adventure!

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:13 am

Top Thrill Dragster wrote:^Wasn't Jay Thomas promoted?

Technically, yes. He got moved to the corporate office first as "director of project management office" and currently serves as "corporate VP of information systems."

However, it is probably not a coincidence those jobs are "behind the scenes" jobs as opposed to something higher up in the operations side of things.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby coasternut » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:40 am

Fire2box wrote:
coasternut wrote:
Koasterking48 wrote:^^ Think if they held off on building Yolocoaster for another two or three years and focused on smaller investments and necessary improvements. I think that Yolocoaster would have a larger, more expansive layout and not be short and (dare I say) gimmicky. Unfortunately, they've pretty much scared off many families and are going to have to really try hard if they want to win them back in the future. While I do not know much about the Jay Thomas era, from what I heard he was a great GM and knew what the park needed. Who is the new guy anyway?

The" new guy" is a woman - The Ice Queen aka Bonnie Rabjon. I may have spelled her name incorrectly, but the got the "Ice Queen" correct.

When I finally used my VIP tour my party and our guide were walking to ride Scream first. I asked the guide if the park manager was there (out of curiosity) and shes like "Oh we just passed her." I just found it weird she wouldn't at least say hi to the two VIP groups that were there. (saw a second VIP group going on Batman.)

This is exactly why I call her the "ICE QUEEN." She doesn't speak with guests, and for that manner any male employees. Not a good attitude for being in the "people business."
Coasternut,

LIVING FOR THAT AIRTIME!! :airtime:

PreviousNext