TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Windows Vista

Yeah guy's I got Vista (The Beta) on my computer. Sure some cool features, but seriously guys, WAIT. The performance of my computer went down...WAY DOWN. I can't run No Limits, RCT3, the Sims 2, basically, all my games. They all start, get menus an all, but when I go into the actual game play, I get O FPS. Each game moves a frame about ever 3 seconds. No Limits said there is no 3D excellerator software. Whatever that is.

Oh, and you have to re-install all your messengers also.

A lot of stuff ISN'T compatible with this version of Windows. Maybe because It's the beta, maybe the final out come will, ya know, make it more compatible. But all in all, WAIT FOR THE FINAL.

And also, it's virtually impossible to get it off your computer. Colin (Me) REALLY screwed up this time. But I can still live with it on my computer, I can still do Internet (With firefox that is ) and iTunes was surprisingly working.

Picture in Picture

Desktop Settings

Wallpapers

Windows Side Bar

Programs

The New File Navigation

If you want to see more, just ask me(Try To Be Specific).

All in All, Microsoft better fix this thing up A LOT before the final release.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I got rid of it. I had to do a totaly format of my computer, it's like new again (You should see it run RCT3 ). But does anyone know how I can get another copy of my No Limits, because it deleted that too. And well, No Limits doesnt come with a installation disc.

It sounds like you didn't have the right video drivers. Most likely RCT, Sims, No Limits, etc. were unable to use the video card properly, so they ran in software mode (instead of rendering everything on the video card, the CPU does the rendering).

I think that drivers will be the biggest problem if I upgrade.

Colin: The reason none of your games will load properly is because I don't think nvidia/ATI have released drivers that utilize direct X 9L yet. They totally rewrote the display API's for vista and as such regular DX9.0c drivers won't work at all.

Either that or you have a video card that doesn't support DX9.

Matt

• 6 months later...

I'm proud of Microsoft for even attempting Vista. This is what they've always needed to do: a complete rewrite of Windows. Of course a lot of stuff is broken. It's worth it to rid Windows of all that awful legacy code.

This is the most ambitious software project EVER. Apple could never do anything like this. They just stuck a pretty GUI on top of FreeBSD. Not that there's anything wrong with FreeBSD. I love that platform. It was even fast before Apple got ahold of it.

So, I'd say calling Vista a rip off is a pretty ignorant. Microsoft, whatever you think of them, has blazed their own trail here.

Will I upgrade? Heck no! I'll still run 2000 for another few years. It works well for me.

This is the most ambitious software project EVER.

Actually, this is not true. When IBM rewrote OS/400 (now i5OS), it involved about 3 times as much code as Windows Vista since the rewrite involved a completely new architecture. In order to support any new processor variations, the operating system was written with a hardware abstraction layer. Think of how Java code is able to run on any operating system, but apply it to an operating system allowing it to run on any processor.

Just my $.02.

Sean