The "Official" TPR Returns To Asia Ongoing TR!

The Re-Cap update has been posted!!!!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:28 am

Day Ten - Nasu Highland or....our WEIRDEST park day...EVER!!!

Today started out pretty normal. We left our hotel, hitchhiked our way to Nasu Highland (and the guy that picked us up was none other than Chris Belson! What a coincidence, huh?)

On our way to Nasu it got colder. And then getting into the town, it got "snowy".....A LOT snowy!

Let's just say that getting to the park was an "adventure" in itself, and there was a point in which we almost turned back. But we knew that we were beyond the point of no return!

I'm actually going to post the photos now, because I think this TR is better done with pictures.....so, here goes....
asia508.jpg
The road getting to the park was "interesting." Normally, if this was just about anywhere else in the world, we would be on our way to go snowboarding, NOT roller coaster riding!!!
asia509.jpg
And yes, you read that correctly...the outside temp is only 24 degrees!!!!
asia510.jpg
"Are we INSANE?!?!? What the HELL are we doing here????"
asia511.jpg
While we wait for the park staff to vacuum the snow out of the trains (yes, you read that correctly) we were invited into the Lego display.
asia512.jpg
Elissa's new best friends!
asia513.jpg
I think that the "Panic Drive" was getting to the park!
asia514.jpg
"Hey, if it will help get the coasters open faster, I'm willing to help out!"
asia514b.jpg
YAY!!!!! One by one most of the coasters started opening!!!
asia515.jpg
"I know, it's a powered coaster, but still IT'S A COASTER!!!! IN THE SNOW!!!"
asia518.jpg
Yes! The read credits start to open!
asia516.jpg
"WTF?!?!?!? If this park can be open with 5 foot snow drifts why can't Cedar Point or King's Dominion be open during the winter?!?!?"
asia517.jpg
You can see there is still snow on the coaster tracks! And BTW, it's STILL snowing too, it's just hard to see in the photos.
asia519.jpg
This is "coaster plaza" where the park has built 4 coasters right on top of each other!
asia520.jpg
"Check out my new skeleton gloves!"
asia521.jpg
Camel Coaster (WTF?) was one of those "Jet Coasters" that are REALLY long, but don't really do too much.
asia522.jpg
You can see that this ride goes all over the place.
asia519b.jpg
Panic Drive finally opens! It wasn't as scary as sliding through the snow to get to the park!
asia523.jpg
Unlike the version of this at Hamanako Pal Pal, this one actually IS a mouse! (sort of....)
asia524.jpg
"Big Boom" was the best coaster of the day. Not only does it have a really messed up name, but it had some crazy EJECTOR airtime!
asia525.jpg
It also has something for Derek....A vertical loop!!!!
asia526.jpg
"I have no idea how all those ACErs fit in these trains!"
asia527.jpg
I'm not sure how steep this drop is, but it feels like it's about 80 degrees! I wish the weather felt 80 degrees!"
asia528.jpg
Here we go up the snow-filled lift!
asia529.jpg
See that drop? That's STEEP! See that snow? That's COLD!!!!
asia530.jpg
"Tires...why did it have to be tires?"
asia533.jpg
Can we just mention one more time how INSANE it is that they are running all these coasters in the SNOW?!?!?!
asia532.jpg
Once again, a sign that the world is nearing it's end when Elissa is eating "normal food"
asia534.jpg
Oh, darn. The SLC was closed. What a shame! =) If there had to be a credit to miss out on, I'd rather it be the SLC than anything else!
asia539.jpg
"My shoes are 2 feet deep in the snow, most of the rides are open, and this is the last time I follow Chris Belson through a forest!" =)
asia540.jpg
It was amazing that they had most of the coasters, flats, the space shot, etc open when there was about 20 people in the park and it was SNOWING!!!!
asia541.jpg
The customer service in this country is so awesome. Tons of staff were out shoveling the walks as if thousands of people were going to show up today!
asia542.jpg
"Knott's Berry Farm closes the entire park in a light drizzle, but these parks are open in any weather conditions! I love Japan!!!"
asia534b.jpg
"Thank you Woopy for opening your park today! We had an awesome time!"
asia531.jpg
We left our mark in the snow!
asia535.jpg
"Oh, wow, good thing it's gotten a lot warmer since this morning!" =)
asia537.jpg
"Now we're off to Tokyo Disneyland for the Countdown Party!" (Remember the mini-escalator from last year's update?)

Non-German Tom

Postby Shockwave » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:45 am

Wow, I'm almost lost for words! :lol:

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby Astat » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:48 am

WTF! The weather out here is warmer than that and there isn't even snow on the ground, but nooooo, everything's gotta be closed. Now I have a bad urge to go get some credits at Geauga Lake that I still need. :D

Anyway, I see that Lightning Coaster is still standing in the pic from Camel Coaster, did you happen to take a look at it? I know it's been SBNO for a long time but it's a shame to see a Schwarzkopf-designed coaster rotting where it stands.

¡Vamos a Seis Banderas!

Postby pvcoasterguy » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:48 am

Jeez... Japan is so awesome! 24-hour parks, parks open in snow... why can't American do this?

Great updates- the 80-degree drop coaster looks insane- and it has a really long train!

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby Astat » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:54 am

^American parks can't do it because you know somebody would sue somebody over something. :lol: (Ambiguous description, I know, but that's how it usually goes.)

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:57 am

I sure hope you used your fingers to write "TPR" in the snow instead of using another writing style. Was those Big Bird footprints as well?

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:05 am

Erik Johnson wrote:I sure hope you used your fingers to write "TPR" in the snow instead of using another writing style.

Well, you didn't see any yellow did you? :lol:

--Robb "Will do Tokyo Disneyland Countdown Party update when I get up in a few hours!" Alvey

The Smiley Face Pizza

Postby Luxo » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:09 am

I guess Americans are too lazy to operate a theme park in the winter. Cool gloves Robb! They should match your plastic purple teeth from Boomers.
Where's the Quaker??

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:21 am

Twenty-four degrees? Sheesh, and I thought it was cold riding Top Gun during Winterfest at Carowinds on Dec. 10.

I've always thought that BGW could pull off an excellent Christmas promotion--decorations and Santas from all the different countries, a cool Christmas train ride, not to mention excellent Christmas goodies from their bake shop or a nice dinner in the Festhaus. But I have mixed feelings about staying open all year. As I get older, I find that I enjoy deferred gratification--there's just something about opening day. Plus, Busch can do a lot of maintenance during the off-season.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:27 am

These parks do the maintenance too, they just do it one coaster at a time which is why the SLC was closed.

But yeah, seeing the parks open here makes me realize there is no excuse why any park in the US couldn't be open all year round! I'm sure they have reasons, but looking how they do promotions all year round (Halloween, then Christmas, then countdown, etc) why can't the US parks do it too?

Oh, well....at least I know there are parks open somewhere in the world other than CA and FL during the "off season!"

--Robb

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!