TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best Racer

Best Racer  

1. 1. Best Racer

Simple, You just put your favorite racer and why. Mine is American Eagle. The only other racer I have ridden is Gemini, and AE is just a little better IMO. The Blue side is the best, and is so much fun. The drop is great, and you get a lot of air time. The red side is not as good mainly because it shakes the crap out of you.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grand National's the only one i've ridden, yet, but its a good fun ride. Nothing adds another element to a ride as well as a bit of friendly competition. Split your group between the two trains, and you've got something that no other ride has. Plus, I won 3 times out of 3 on saturday, which makes it good

^ But so does the Racer, so does American Eagle, so does Rebel Yell, so does Rolling Thunder and so does... you get the point. They all have different layouts.

Anyways, my vote goes out to the American Eagle. It's been running excellent recently, with insane airtime and minimal braking.

Nothing quite comes close to the Grand National for me. If you're new to it next year, give it a little leeway - the new cars are a little tight, and they've ofcrouse got the standard ratchetting bar & seatbelt combination PTC swear by now (and so do BPB operations managers literally, as they hate the belts, in their words the belts will be an "operational nightmare", but because PTC have got anal over safety and include the belts as a "required" restraint in their design now, BPB simply have to use them - it ran for five decades with no restraints at all before the old PTC trains were bought in 1980, and the only people to be injured were those who stood up on purpose!).

I rode it yesterday (sunday) for the last time in the old remaining two trains, and they were flying, absolutely belting round, with the usual thigh-snapping airtime in the usual places. Those trains and the manual brakes are now retired however, in name of the new cars BPB arent particularly happy with (I won't go into a rant why.. they're just not happy with what PTC have done, in certain places) and magnetic brakes. I was under the impression that the manual loading and unloading brakes would stay, but BPB's resident Nash expert told me there'll be air brakes. He (Peter Saddler, whom rebuilt the brakes last year from memory, as there's no plans) reckons it'll never run four trains again though, due to issues with the new brakes and blocking. If a train is stuck in the new air powered unloading brakes, and the other trains are past the lift, there's nothing they can do but expect a "bump" in the station when they come back, as the new slowing brakes, being magnetic, won't be able to stop a train. I hope they see sense and fit a mechanical stopping brake within the magnetic slowers!

Enough of that..

So far I've ridden the Nash (obviously - many, many, many times!), Lightning Racer, Racer (Kennywood), Gemini and Colossus. Even Kennywood's Racer doesn't come close to the Nash - John Miller was requested ny Kennywood to build a fun but mild coaster, which is what he indeed did with Racer. Charles Paige however just built a coaster, and quite poorly at that - the profile is bad, the turns aren't banked enough - and those things are precisely the things that make old coasters so damn bloody superb - exactly the things most modern coaster sorely lack, in the name of fancy precise calculated design. Some of the world's best coasters are vintage ones, and they weren't calculated, despite what people these days think. The designers admitted themselves that they sometimes didn't do proper plans, and built what looked right to them, without calculation. And you know what, it bloody worked, very well! Computers and calculations are just a part of life now, but designers take liberties with the modern tools they have, and produce samey rides with little character, and they over-support them too, to a spine-jarring extent. Nothing like the oldies..!

Phew, rant over.

Definately Grand National for me!

^For everybody hoping to ride the Grand National for the first time next year, I'll keep enthasising my second sentance above - the new cars and braking system might detract from it somewhat, until it's all either "worn in" well or modified over time - "tweaked" perhaps. Being a Nash expert (as BPB operations managers see me as) and an avid rider, I'm anxious to see how it'll perform next year. Large people won't be too comfy in the tight seats.. (the new upholstery really needs removing, thinning down and refitting - just an inch off each panel would do nicely).

I've SO got to be there when you all visit BPB next year - aswell as being like a human BPB encyclopedia ready to answer questions, I really want to see in person what you all think!

I might even try to get a job there. I've been thinking about it for a couple of years now..

For me it's Gemini. It's a bit bumpy (but not necessarily rough) in some spots, but has good airtime and you can almost always count on a short wait. Gemini is probably the most re-ridable coaster I've been on. I will probably get the chance to ride Lightning Racer this summer so my opinion could change after that.