TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

News: Lab tests confirm deadly virus in Romania

Hattuchili

News: Lab tests confirm deadly virus in Romania

I hope it will not be in Germany, soon!

Oh, looks like the virus is in Europe. I hope they will finde something to kill the virus and I hope it will not come to Germany!

BUCHAREST (Reuters) - Lab tests in Britain have shown that an outbreak of bird flu in Romania is H5N1, the strain that is potentially highly pathogenic to humans, the Romanian state veterinary authority said on Saturday.

The tests on three ducks found dead in Romania's Danube delta near the Black Sea last week confirmed fears that the disease, which has killed more than 60 people in Asia since 2003, has entered Europe.

"We have received telephone confirmation from London that it is the H5N1 virus," Alina Monea, spokeswoman at Romania's veterinary and animal health authority, told Reuters.

A European Commission spokesman in Brussels said: "We are waiting for the results which are supposed to be coming from Britain at about 1 p.m (1100 GMT) (Saturday).

"I cannot confirm or deny (the report) but the Commission was acting with the presumption that it would be this more dangerous type and took all the preventative measures," the spokesman, Robert Soltyk, said.

Turkey also reported an outbreak of the deadly strain earlier this week.

Experts fear H5N1 could mutate into a virus which spreads easily among humans, creating a pandemic that might kill tens of millions. Romania has not reported any cases of bird flu so far in humans.

The Danube delta contains Europe's largest wetlands and is a major migratory area for wild birds coming from Russia, Scandinavia, Poland and Germany. The birds mainly move to warmer areas in North Africa including the Nile delta for winter.

Officials in Romania have announced plans to slaughter thousands of birds to prevent the disease from spreading.

Link: Reuters - News

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not in the USA, so who cares?

And who needs Romanians anyway?

EDIT: Sorry Robb, but it really make me angry, to read something like that! If you have to close the thread, it is okay for me!

WOW, good answer! :shock:

I have a friend in Romania. Have you really read the article or do you know what "Aviare Influenza A/H5(N1)" is? The virus is really bad, you can eat no poultry, touch no poultry and yes, the virus "H5N1" can kill people! You have to kill all the poultry and clean all the areas. Do you really think it is funny?

Do you really like it to see this in your or other countries...

... or this?

Yes, you are very nice. That is really bad what you are writing!

I think you are really a candidate for the title "Worst TPR Member Of The Month".

--Sören

Edited by Hattuchili

Um, hello? I was totally joking. Jesus Christ, people.

[edit] Oh, and FlyingScooter, I wasn't trying to be funny, I was just in a sarcastic mood when I read this post, so I posted something sarcastic...

I think it is not the best choice to be sarcastic with things like this! Or better, let us know that it is only your personal type of sarcasm! Becasue it is not really funny! So many people could die, if they will finde no way to stop it!

--Sören

Edited by Hattuchili

Please spare me the dramatics. Everyone responds differently to tragedy. Some people use sarcasm. Like nobody made remarks about New Orleans or the asian tsunami or Tamar Fellner? Get off my freaking back.

Thank you.

PS. I donated money to the Red Cross to aid the Katrina victims. Yeah, I'm sooo evil

This is really disturbing... Like someone else said, if this comes to the US I'm hiding in a shelter!

I wasn't really offended by Kip's statement. Just because he made a sarcastic comment doesn't mean that he is apathetic to the situation. People simply deal with bad news differently. When one of my classmates died I dealt with the grief by being funny. People saw it as disrespectful but it's just how I deal with awful situations and I didn't meant to be disrespectful at all.

Mark "I'm glad I'm going to end up going to college in a rural area so even if there is an avian flu outbreak in the US, I'll be isolated!" Luskus

Bird flu is the new SARS. Any healthy person in a developed nation who thinks they are going to get it and not be properly treated needs to take off the tin foil hat and stop believing everything the media shoves down your throat.

Kip, I understood your sarcasm and laughed!

But, as we do have a growing international population on the boards you may want to put in something like a smiley or "hey soren, I'm being sarcastic" just in case!

As for the Bird Flu....if only 60 people have died in overcrowded crazy asia because of it, I'm not too worried right now. My parents called a couple of weeks back to 'advise' me about my upcoming Asia trip and I just laughed! I then went to the CDC and US Gov websites and they have NO warnings or restrictions in place.

Yeah, smilies are the best way to go to help the Sarcasm translation. I quickly found out during our Europe trip not all of our wacky American sarcasm translated.

I would be all "Yeah, Michael Jackson is the best ever, I hope he fondles my son too!" And there would be this dead silence.

And I'd be all "oh, I was kidding." (laughter erupts!)

Kip has a very dry wit sometimes and he's not a mean person. Well, ok, he is, but not THAT mean...well, ok he IS that mean, but not really.

--Robb "I'm just going to quit while I'm ahead!" Alvey

It looks like I dont understand american sarcasm or have not enough sense of humor! However, it is not easy to understand sarcasm over the internet, since you express no emotion. Anyway, the most people understand what Kip wrote, then it is also okay for me, and I stop posting in this thread!

--Sören "stupid German" Schomburg

It looks like I dont understand american sarcasm or have not enough sense of humor! However, it is not easy to understand sarcasm over the internet, since you express no emotion. Anyway, the most people understand what Kip wrote, then it is also okay for me, and I stop posting in this thread!

--Sören "stupid German" Schomburg

You're not stupid Soren, I got mad the second I read that post, but had calmed down by the time I read the explanations for it!! I don't think it's that you don't underestand American sarcasm, I think it's just that its easy to take something the wrong way when you see it typed if there's no smileys or anything. Otherwise it just looks like the other person is being insensitive, and there's a big difference between that and making light of a bad situation.

PS - Robb, I laughed out loud at what you just said about Michael Jackson, funniest thing I ever saw! (Thank God you're joking though...! :? )