TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Whats the BEST video editing program?

Twister II

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never used Avid, I should check to see if they have it in our library's media center.

Pinacle is really easy to use so its great for a beginner. I liked Premiere ok but I can't remember what I used in HS but it kicked butt. I'll try to look it up.

edit: it was Final Cut Pro that I was thinking about

Edited by ParkTrips

Final Cut Pro.

But the software really doesn't matter in the end, because the software isn't going to make your videos any better in terms of editing. Proper editing takes time and practice. I've seen great editors crank out awesome stuff using low end stuff like iMovie and WMM. I've also seen really bad bad bad stuff that used Final Cut Pro and Avids.

Just because you bought a really nice oil painting set doesn't mean you're going to be cranking out Da Vinci's.

I currently use Avid and Premiere 1.5 and honestly, Avid has a dramatic learning curve compared to Premiere. These programs make it easier to edit in means of short cuts, features and special effects, but if you don't know how to edit (i.e: move the story along), then your movie will in the end not be effective. Once you learn the basics, then invest in a higher quality program, such as Premiere or Final Cut.

I use Nero 6 Ultra that came with my DVD burner. Its nice and all but theres alot missing; speed-up/slow-down, overexposed transitions, only half the text styles included work, ect.

As said above, its not the program, its the shots and editing. You can make an awesome movie with WMM (as long as you don't use the blue screen) that you could do just the same with the $700 Adobe. Sure, you can grow more with the better programs but stick with the $100 programs for now. The videos I've done and put online have been some of the favorites on the sites hosted, thing is, I got the program for free.

Its amazing how good you can become with editing between first starting and now. I started about 6 months ago and did nothing but added covering music. Now I do videos w/o a clip over 3 seconds! The key is time. If you stay up till 4am working on a 3 minute video, no problem.

I need help! I'm trying to make a Beast Backstage video from the tour at Ace Day Saturday. iMovie has been giving me problems. If you use a preset save setting you get poor quality and a huge file, but if you sue Expert Settings, you get a good file, but only Quicktime 7 can view it.

I downloaded Final Cut Pro, but it's complex as hell, and I'm not sure about using it. Any ideas?

I'm still messing with Windows Movie Maker. I actually made some decent videos (and made $100 selling them) recently. Well, they were more like picture slideshows with music. I am ready to beef up my movie editing software as I discovered I'm limited on what I can do (Well, my digital camera records in quicktime format and WMM doesn't accept those files).

I picked up Pinnacle Studio 10 and it was a bear to install. I had to reinstall Windows XP HE and then upgrade back to Windows XP Pro. Then I had to install Pinnacle Studio first before installing anything else. I was trying to preview an avi file and it the picture paused every now and then. I want to tinker around with it some more, but my first impressions are that I should have stuck with Pinnacle Studio 9, or bought Adobe Premiere Elements.

• 5 months later...

I have Pinnacle Studio 10 and you need a somewhat powerful PC to run it smoothly as it may crash if you have a slow computer. I found the program easy to install and use though.

EDIT: And stay away from Windows Movie Maker. That program is so buggy, it has more holes than that swiss cheese that managed to steal America's cheese festival spotlight.

• 2 weeks later...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! NOT WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER!!!

I only use that to compress my vids to post online.

Anyway, I use Adobe Premiere, but Premiere Elements is definitely a great alternative for those with a lower budget... or a dislike of "acquiring" the more expensive version. Elements will give you the solid basics of what you need anyway, and I doubt anyone is going to produce special effects on their coaster vids.

Pinnacle Studio is definitely good as well, although I'd suggest Premiere Elements over it just because I'm biased.

[quote name="

Pinnacle Studio is definitely good as well' date=' although I'd suggest Premiere Elements over it just because I'm biased. [/quote]

If you dont have £600 for premier pro one of these two will suit you better..

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I know this thread hasn't been active in awhile, but I thought I'd add my two cents' worth. It may seem a no-brainer to say so, but I don't recall seeing anyone say this, so I will. I don't think it's really possible to ask this quesiton here (or on any other board) and get the one answer you're looking for. Each one of us here that edits video will say the program he or she uses is the "best."

That said, my personal preference is Magix Movie Edit Pro 10. There are a select few things that it can't do, and for those times I use Premiere Elements, but I found Magix to be far and away the easiest editing software to learn. For comparison, I've used WMM, Premiere Elements AND Pro, Pinnacle Studio 9, and Dazzle Video Creator 85 and 150 with Pinnacle Studio QuickStart (for converting my older analog videos), and I still find Magix to be the easiest to learn.

My personal favorite is Final Cut Pro but that for a MAC system only. If I have to do editing on a PC then I use Premiere. I like Premiere but I just like Final Cut better.

Between the two I like Final Cut Pro more but part of that is on a MAC you can use Motion as well, and I really like that program to make really interesting effects.