TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Erik & Smisty's Florida Oddventures

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Erik, are you and Smisty planning on taking a trip to the Parrot Jungle???

The what? *Googles* ... We are now!

interesting a season pass is only 10 dollars more than admission...is it worth more than one visit???

To MonkeyOverlord, maybe. To me...no. We liked it, but I can't imagine that a second visit any time soon would add much to our enjoyment of it.

I naturally assumed you knew of Parrot Jungle as well. It honestly amazes me that these places still exist.

I lived down there for 28 years, and never once visited either "jungle." I did however find some satisfaction from Monkey Jungle following Hurricane Andrew. Evidently, a bunch of the monkeys that managed to survive were on the loose in the days and weeks following the storm. It was somewhat humorous to hear the news reports each evening documenting the efforts to wrangle up the lost primates.

I was secretly hoping for a post-apocalyptic "Planet of the Apes-style" ending to the story where our new mayor would be a large smiling orangutan with an army of laser-eyed alligators at his disposal. It didn't happen.

SyFy, are you listening?

I was secretly hoping for a post-apocalyptic "Planet of the Apes-style" ending to the story where our new mayor would be a large smiling orangutan with an army of laser-eyed alligators at his disposal. It didn't happen.

"Damn you! Damn you all to hell!"

Erik, are you and Smisty planning on taking a trip to the Parrot Jungle???

The what? *Googles* ... We are now!

I only went to one more place in the Miami area that I guess you can consider an Oddity....The Coral Castle. I would love to see a photo report being that I havent been there since I was 12 and I would love to see just how foggy my memory is.

My parents visited Parrot Jungle on their honeymoon, in 1955. My father took me there during our 1978 Florida trip, when I was 10. I have pictures of both my mother and myself, posing with a bunch of parrots on our arms. Other than that, I don't remember much about it. Oh yeah, they had flamingos, too.

I naturally assumed you knew of Parrot Jungle as well. It honestly amazes me that these places still exist.

I lived down there for 28 years, and never once visited either "jungle." I did however find some satisfaction from Monkey Jungle following Hurricane Andrew. Evidently, a bunch of the monkeys that managed to survive were on the loose in the days and weeks following the storm. It was somewhat humorous to hear the news reports each evening documenting the efforts to wrangle up the lost primates.

SyFy, are you listening?

Parrot Jungle is actually great now. It's on it's own island and goes by "Jungle Island" now. I've gone a few times this year.

As for other local attractions, Coral Castle is a must.

SyFy, are you listening?

Parrot Jungle is actually great now. It's on it's own island and goes by "Jungle Island" now. I've gone a few times this year.

I thought the opposite when i went to Parrot Jungle last year, they have some large cats there too, but they are all kept in very small enclosures. we were there for like 2 hours, and i honelstly didnt think it was worth it (and i didnt have to pay for it)

I actually checked out the website earlier today, and just from the looks of that, you're right, it certainly does look miles ahead of the old days. The mention of "big cats in small enclosures" (^^) seems a bit disturbing to me though. I'm kind of anxious to see a report from the place now.

I think Vizcaya is also a must see. I'm not quite sure it lends itself to "Oddventure" status, but it's certainly a great tour of history. Wait, what am I saying? Erik and Smisty could make a trip report of just about anything amusing.

" this is the hole where we throw the dead monkeys" really made me laugh! That might be my favorite TPR quote in years! We do not have odd attractions here like you have in Florida, but we do have this crazy multi millionaire guy down the road who opened his own "monkey island". It made the news awhile back when some woman broke in and stole a few of the monkeys!

Thanks for the suggestions! As a non-native Floridians, we haven't heard of a surprising number of places that we'd probably love.

The Miami area is a bit of a trek from Orlando, but we definitely plan on checking it all out, eventually.

^^Frankly, most zoos seem to be copies of each other, these days. They all have trains, gardens, children's play areas, etc. The Jacksonville Zoo is nice, and all, but not terribly interesting, in an Oddventure sort of way. I'm bored to death, every time we get dragged there for field trips.

We've been to the Tampa Lowry Zoo twice now, and quite liked it. I just haven't gotten around to doing an update yet. How it survives right down the road from Busch Gardens Tampa, I'll never know. But I'm glad it has. I agree, though, that most zoos feel quite similar to one another.