TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.worldsoffun.com/public/news/latest/index.cfm?mode=story&chip=422

Worlds of Fun Increases 2011 Capital Investment to Over $8 Million

November 09, 2010

KANSAS CITY, Mo. − Worlds of Fun, the Midwest’s premier amusement park, announces additional capital projects for the 2011 season, highlighted by a complete restoration and installation of one of the world's most famous carousels, a new catering pavilion, and the previously announced Planet Snoopy.

In 1926, M.C. Illions meticulously carved 64 jumping horses and two chariots to create the Illions Supreme carousel, the most famous and reproduced carousel in the world. Known for their all wood horses with high swept manes adorned with jewels, only five original Supreme models were ever built by Illions. When installed at Worlds of Fun this spring, the carousel will be one of only two operating in the world.

Illions built the ride in 1926 for the Sesqui-Centennial Celebration held in Philadelphia. In 1927, it was moved to Birmingham, Alabama, and in the 1930's moved to Coney Island be restored. The carousel operated at Geauga Lake in Aurora, Ohio, from 1937 to 2007, and now has been painstakingly detailed to its original condition by Carousel Works, Inc, Mansfield, Ohio, the largest manufacturer of carousels in the world. Guests will be able to watch the full restoration and installation of this beautiful ride in its entirety on 'Ultimate Restorations" (http://www.urtvshow.com).

To make way for the new carousel, Festhaus, the park's largest catering facility, will be removed and rebuilt as a brand new permanent structure in 2011. This new group outing pavilion will be able to handle groups into the thousands as well as multiple events simultaneously.

The new carousel and Festhaus areas are a $2 million capital investment, and join the $6 million Planet Snoopy investment for 2011. As previously announced, the world’s most popular beagle's new home will boast six new rides all themed around the PEANUTS characters. Little ones and their families can take a trip around Planet Snoopy on new car and truck rides, a giant balloon tower ride, teacups, or hop in a new spinning tug-boat. Over 20 rides, shows, and attractions will great the whole family in 2011 inside the all new Planet Snoopy.

Construction for Planet Snoopy, the carousel, and Festhaus will be documented on worldsoffun.com in anticipation of their 2011 debut. Guests wanting to experience these new attractions in 2011 can purchase a 2011 Season Pass, now available at the lowest price of the season.

Worlds of Fun and Oceans of Fun are owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “FUN”. In addition to Worlds of Fun and Oceans of Fun, Cedar Fair owns and operates 10 other amusement parks, five other waterparks, one indoor waterpark resort, and five hotels. Cedar Fair also operates Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in Gilroy, California, under a management contract.

Editor's Note: To view the previous Planet Snoopy Announcement, please click here

----------

Edited by ernierocker

Glad to hear that they are relocating the carousel! Does anyone know what other defunct rides are left from Geauga Lake now? Other than Teh Big Dipper, what else haven't they relocated to other CF parks that have not already been torn down?

Have they relocated GL's old Top Spin yet? I wondered if that may be what ends up at MA. Hmmmm...

Glad to hear that they are relocating the carousel! Does anyone know what other defunct rides are left from Geauga Lake now? Other than Teh Big Dipper, what else haven't they relocated to other CF parks that have not already been torn down?

Have they relocated GL's old Top Spin yet? I wondered if that may be what ends up at MA. Hmmmm...

The Top Spin is now at CGA as Fireball... Nothing is left except the Big Dipper and half of the RWBs.

The Top Spin is now at CGA as Fireball

Ahhh...I was wondering that. Don't think there's any way RWB would end up going anywhere - I thought that coaster was horrible from day one. That would be like relocating Hurler from Kings Dominion to another park!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Worlds of Fun Adds to $8 Million Capital Expansion with Eighth New Ride

January 26, 2011

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Worlds of Fun, the Midwest’s premier amusement park, announces an additional capital project for the 2011 season. Sally's Swing Set, an exciting new swing ride that can be enjoyed by children and their parents, will join the previously announced new ride offerings in the all new Planet Snoopy, boosting the park's new ride offerings in 2011 to eight.

Reminding parents of childhood swings, little ones and their families gently glide in a rocking motion, swooping 17 feet towards the sky. Airtime at the top of each swing guarantees a bit of excitement for thrill seekers in training. Sally's Swing Set can accommodate 12 riders in two rows of seats.

The new home of the world’s most popular beagle, Planet Snoopy will boast seven new rides all themed around the PEANUTS characters highlighted by a 40 foot tall balloon tower ride, offering an amazing overall view of the new area. Little ones can take a trip around Planet Snoopy on new car and truck rides, teacups, or hop in a new spinning tug-boat for the whole family. Over 20 rides, shows, and attractions will great guests in 2011 inside the all new Planet Snoopy.

Planet Snoopy is scheduled to open in April 2011. For more details on Planet Snoopy, visit worldsoffun.com/planetsnoopy for construction updates, images, and more. Planet Snoopy’s new rides are being manufactured by Zamperala Incorporated, Boonton, New Jersey.

Construction for all of Worlds of Fun's 2011 improvements, including Planet Snoopy, a refurbished historic carousel, and the new Festhaus catering facility is documented on worldsoffun.com in anticipation of their 2011 debut. Guests wanting to experience these new attractions can purchase a 2011 Season Pass, now available at the lowest price of the season.

Worlds of Fun and Oceans of Fun are owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, a publicly traded partnership that is listed for trading on The New York Stock Exchange under the symbol “FUN”. In addition to Worlds of Fun and Oceans of Fun, Cedar Fair owns and operates 10 other amusement parks, five other waterparks, one indoor waterpark resort, and five hotels. Cedar Fair also operates Gilroy Gardens Family Theme Park in Gilroy, California, under a management contract.

http://www.worldsoffun.com/public/news/latest/index.cfm?mode=story&chip=428

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
For our unofficial senior trip, we're going to Worlds of Fun on April 23rd. What will crowds be like and what ride closings can I expect?

Let's just put it this way: chances are you won't be the only school deciding to make a trip to Worlds of Fun to celebrate the end of the year. In my experiences with Saturdays before most schools are out the parking lot is full with buses and crowds tend to be fairly heavy. I believe when I went a few years back the waits were 30-90 minutes for most major rides, and that's a lot for Worlds of Fun. As far as ride closings go, I really wouldn't expect there to be many major rides down. You may miss a flat ride or two (and Planet Snoopy may still be closed) but there isn't any reason why the coasters would be down, save Boomerang which can be hit and miss when it comes to breaking down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Last Sunday I went to the park with my mom, sisters, and cousins, and the park wasn't busy at all! Although it was a Sunday (church day) and it was pretty cloudy, so that kept people away. only about half of the front parking lot was taken up.

Also: The new Carousel sucks! THEY pick your row for you! What the hell? HINT HINT: NEVER I mean NEVER sit in the inside, you barely go up and down.

• 1 month later...

From Screamscape:

2012 - Windseeker - Rumor - (8/5/11) The rumor for the past few weeks was that Cedar Fair has purchased two or three more Windseeker rides for the parks in 2012. I already highlighted Kings Dominion as one of the most likely homes, but it seems that Worlds of Fun is also very high on the list to get one.