TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

This is kind of off the original topic, but I am seriously the only person on TPR that doesn't like Maverick? I mean, Maverick HURTS (curse those over-banked turns). I can only ride it once per CP trip and the only reason I even bother to ride it is because I'm at the park. Even though I did not enjoy the ride in '07, a friend of mine told me it was much better in '08 (they didn't really like it in '07 either), but I didn't notice a difference. When this was under construction, I couldn't WAIT to ride it, but after getting off that first ride, I was utterly disappointed. Is there anyone else on TPR sharing my opinion?

I was kind of under the impression that most twisty coasters hurt in their own way. To be honest, the only problem with Maverick is the restraint. There are ways of riding it to avoid being hurt, you just have to know how to do it.

It really is the restraints that cause all of the pain. After riding it a few times, I too learned how to hold my head properly without getting hurt. I don't mind doing this, but it just robs away from the enjoyment of the ride for me.

I don't have to do that whole 'aggressive riding' thing at all - I just throw my hands up and love every second of it. I've heard of certain height ranges having a much worse time on things like Maverick, so maybe that's it? Or maybe my adrenaline just gets high enough to make me blind to all the bruises I'm getting in the process of riding.

I don't have to do that whole 'aggressive riding' thing at all - I just throw my hands up and love every second of it. I've heard of certain height ranges having a much worse time on things like Maverick, so maybe that's it? Or maybe my adrenaline just gets high enough to make me blind to all the bruises I'm getting in the process of riding.

You do have a point there with height. I always have seemed to be just the right height to get whacked a lot by harnesses in the past. Maybe CP should consider investing in some more comfortable restraints for Maverick.

^ Maybe the new i305 restraints would work.

Personally, I've never had any trouble with Maverick, but I don't usually hold my hands up on rides with OTSRs. I found it to be glass smooth, and very thrilling. In fact, it is my favorite steelie!

^ Maybe the new i305 restraints would work.

Personally, I've never had any trouble with Maverick, but I don't usually hold my hands up on rides with OTSRs. I found it to be glass smooth, and very thrilling. In fact, it is my favorite steelie!

I still don't see how people find it smooth though. Every time I've ridden it, if I didn't hold my head against the restraint, I got whacked around a lot. i haven't seen the I305 restraints, so maybe they would work.

^The new I305 restraints would be perfect. I never had a problem with I305's hard restraints either, but I can certainly see how some people wouldn't enjoy being thrown into them if they hit just the right spot. The new restraints are so perfect, it's unbelievable. I'd love to see them on Maverick, but I doubt they'd change anything because, unlike I305, Maverick's trains were designed with the hard restraints and I'm pretty sure that the majority of riders are okay enough with them.

*EDIT: And you definitely do get thrown around a lot regardless. I guess that's just a preference - personally, I love how Intamins have been recently; more aggressive and action-packed. But I can see how some people wouldn't agree. But not every ride is going to please every person, ya know?

^ I think that the issue some people have been having with new Intamins could be that they are not only aggressive, but also use OTSRs. This could be (in part) due to the fact that the rides are so aggressive that a lap bar wouldn't be adequate to keep the rider from getting thrown all over the place. I haven't been on i305, but from reports it seems like, with a lap bar, riders would be getting thrown from one side of the train to the other during those intense transitions.

I still don't see how people find it smooth though. Every time I've ridden it, if I didn't hold my head against the restraint, I got whacked around a lot. i haven't seen the I305 restraints, so maybe they would work.

Maverick is very smooth! What you are thinking of is the high jerkiness level! I love Maverick, but I do agree that holding your head to the side ruins the fun, and even though I got whacked in the head a couple times, it added to it. Maverick is glass smooth, at least in the front, but at the speed it goes through during all those turns will thrust your head side to side.

I guess it all depends on what you like in a coaster. Personally, I don't enjoy Voyage as much as I would have liked, but that's just me being in the minority.

I am also at the height were I hit my neck against the restraints. It is pretty much to the point that it is painful, so I only limit one ride per visit. On different occasions Ive tried leaning my head in the direction of the turns or trying to plaster my head to the head rest but both don't work. So I welcome the softer restraints greatly.

I never really minded the headbanging over the crushed thighs. That was the worst. I eventually learned how to slouch exactly right so that I never got stapled and the restraints didn't kill my neck. And to be honest, I got more bruises on Storm Runner than I ever did on Maverick. I think that was just because I rode it 26 times in one day though...

I never had a problem on Maverick, but maybe the Vekoma SLC at my home park has just increased my tolerance for headbanging to a point where I just don't notice it anymore. The only time I ever really had a problem with OTSRs is when I used to wear eyeglasses, ouch!

I am also at the height were I hit my neck against the restraints. It is pretty much to the point that it is painful, so I only limit one ride per visit. On different occasions Ive tried leaning my head in the direction of the turns or trying to plaster my head to the head rest but both don't work. So I welcome the softer restraints greatly.

I'm in total agreement with the previous complaints on Maverick. I like to ride with my arms in the air and "be tossed" around by the ride. With those restraints, my neck get bruised quickly. I don't like to have to learn how to ride a coaster. I just like to enjoy it! It's the quick directional turns on it (and I305 for that matter) that are painful. This seems to be the latest Intamin trademark. Yes, the new restraints on In-trim-adator in Virginia would make Maverick better. I spend nearly 2 weeks at Cedar Point each year and maybe ride Maverick once

A lot of good points have been raised here. For the most part, it must just be my very strange tolerance of pain. For example, I love riding Gwazi in the back seat (if it wasn't apparent by the user name) even though it's very rough. However, I did not like The Voyage because I found it painful. It's odd, but I guess that's what gives me my unorthodox taste in roller coasters that generally doesn't agree with most enthusiasts.

I love diving into the turns on Maverick, I wish there was more of it. I coached a guy going up the first drop and he was thankful afterwards because he had been told the ride was rough and that he wouldn't like it. He loved it. I love that Intamin builds aggressive rides, even if it means I have to physically participate.

I am the same way... Maverick is aggressive, not rough. Well, sometimes at the end of the season it is, but in general...

You really have to know how to brace for certain elements. If you are prepared, it is great fun. I love the workout I get on that ride... Too bad I am only good for a few laps before my head is about to explode.

I would not mind the soft OTSR's though.. Make an awesome ride even better. I would not think the retrofit would cost that much.

^I agree. The hard restraints don't seem to be productive in any way at all. For most people, they don't even come down to the shoulders. I'm sure they are much easier to manufacture and are probably cheaper, but I think they could be a lot more conforming to the rider, like B&M fliers. Nobody ever complains about flier restraints, because they are fitted and softer. I think Intamin should make a move in that direction. It seems i305 has taken a step in that direction, but I think the bar itself should be shaped a bit also, to compensate for the bruised thighs. Just my two cents...

^I agree. The hard restraints don't seem to be productive in any way at all. For most people, they don't even come down to the shoulders. I'm sure they are much easier to manufacture and are probably cheaper, but I think they could be a lot more conforming to the rider, like B&M fliers. Nobody ever complains about flier restraints, because they are fitted and softer. I think Intamin should make a move in that direction. It seems i305 has taken a step in that direction, but I think the bar itself should be shaped a bit also, to compensate for the bruised thighs. Just my two cents...

I agree with this in its entirety. The flier restraints are absolutely wonderful! When I rode Manta for the first time, I was extremely comfortable. That's something I think Intamin needs to do a little bit more work on. That's the main reason I feel that B&M is better than Intamin.

• 3 weeks later...

logo_coastermania_2011.png.143cbf2f1c4854349c2f2ed52b0b2a92.png

Coastermania 2011 Logo

Cedar Point announced the details for Coaster Mania 2011 today! The details are as follows...

Coastermania Website

Special Notes

When: June 3rd-4th

June 3rd:

- Dick Kinzel Keynote Speech

- ERT 10:45pm - 1:00am (2.25hrs) on the following rides:

Skyhawk, Magnum XL-200, Top Thrill Dragster, Mean Streak (20th Anniversary)

June 4th:

- ERT 5:30am - 8:30am (3hrs) on the following rides:

Millennium Force, Maverick, Mantis (15th Anniversary), Corkscrew (35th Anniversary)

- ERT 10:15pm - 12:00am (1.45hrs) on the following rides:

Raptor, Blue Streak, Disaster Transport, Wicked Twister, maXair

- ERT 10:45pm - 12:00am (1.15hrs) on the following ride:

Windseeker

Friday, June 3 & Saturday, June 4, 2011

If it’s the first weekend in June, it can only mean one thing – it’s time for Cedar Point’s 23rd Annual CoasterMania! This year’s event will be held on Friday, June 3 and Saturday, June 4, 2011 and promises to be the biggest event we’ve ever held!

CoasterMania! 2011 would best be titled as, “You Asked For It, You Got It!” We’ve not only added more rides and roller coasters to the lineup, but the ERT sessions are longer!!!

We’ve added rides such as Mean Streak (celebrating its 20th anniversary in 2011), Corkscrew (celebrating its 35th anniversary in 2011) and the new Windseeker. Plus, the ERT hours are plentiful. Can you handle riding Magnum, Top Thrill Dragster and other scream machines until 1 a.m.?!?!? We hope so! How about getting up a short four hours later to ride thrillers like Maverick, Millennium Force and others for more than three hours! Yes, you read that correctly. Three hours of ERT on Maverick and Millennium Force on Saturday morning!!!

And the fun doesn’t stop there.

Back by popular demand will be the ultra-popular CoasterMania! Film Festival. You could win prizes ranging from exclusive ERT to winter tours and more!

As always there will be free food, prizes, special presentations, exclusive deals for guests staying at any Cedar Point Resort and much, much more.

The action kicks off on Friday, June 3, with a special presentation from our keynote speaker, Cedar Fair Entertainment Company Chairman of the Board, President and CEO Richard Kinzel! Bring your cameras and questions because this is one presentation you will not want to miss!

We hope to see you at CoasterMania! 2011!

Edited by robbalvey