TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Wiener Prater Discussion Thread

There have been recent discussions regarding the painful rides on Volare Flying Coasters.

I found the one in Vienna to be worse than the ones at Rye and PCW, but this recent accident made it even more painful for two guests.

austriantimes.at/news/General_News/2010-10-22/27726/Freak_theme_park_accident_puts_three_in_clinic-newentry

Three people were injured when a rollercoaster crashed against a crane in Vienna yesterday evening (Thurs).

Two young women from Slovakia were sitting in the high-speed "Volare" wagon as it steered into the crane's hoist which was set close to the rails of the attraction.

Macedonian painter Arben S., 21, sustained a serious head injuries when he fell eight metres to the concrete ground. He was working on a platform supported by the crane at the Prater amusement park when the crash occurred. One of the tourists riding the rollercoaster broke her arm, while her friend suffered cuts and bruises.

Police are now investigating whether negligent assault charges could be pressed against the manager of the attraction. The official accident report says the employee operating the rollercoaster was unaware the worker was busy on the scaffolding when he started up the ride. Newspapers, however, report that the attraction has been in operation many times while the painters were busy.

The Prater amusement park, located in the district of Leopoldstadt, is one of the federal capital’s main tourism hotspots. Every year tens of thousands of holidaymakers attend the amusement zone, which is free to enter, to go for a ride on the giant Riesenrad Ferris wheel or on one of the other attractions.

Edited by larrygator

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

@larrygator

This reminds me when a crane got in the way of an Enterprise in Hamburg when I was a kid - the operator of the crane was fined and jailed for manslaughter. I'd go for "attempted manslaughter" in this case against the operator of the crane. Next to that his license to operate a crane and/or amusement ride should be removed for life.

• 6 months later...

Info on the Pratercard

I think this is new for 2012, but maybe it started last year. Most of the rides at Wiener Prater are run by independent operators and as such you have to pay for each ride individually. This appears to be the first attempt by the park to load a card with money that is accepted on most attractions (and for food).

When I was there in 2010 you had to pay for each ride individually with cash, no credit cards. Also, using the card lowers the cost of each attraction by 10%. You can easily spend 100 Euros at the park if you try to ride everything, so at least the 10% saved can cover your food for the day.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Went to Prater yesterday and had a great time. Rode that odd "Tornado" swing with the lightning bolt and liked it a lot. Could've done with less flipping, though, as the best part was when the rotation of the support hit a sweet spot with the arc of the swinging and you soar down toward the midway.

Tried to talk the lady running the Autofahrt woodie to let me ride, but no credit whoring allowed there. I seriously doubt I could've gotten both my feet in that car, anyway, let alone sat in it.

Prater Turm (Star Flyer) wasn't a thrill at all. It was ungodly high, but the gentle rotation made it relaxing. Almost at the end of the trip down, it kicks into high rotation, which was fun.

Super 8er Bahn, Wilde Maus, Dizzy-Mouse, Hochshaubahn and Mega Blitz were all running pretty well.

Had to do the Rotor, since I hardly see those any more. The KMG afterburner (forget what it's called) was swinging waaaaaay past 90deg, but it didn't spin very fast. Still, a total blast.

Did a couple of funhouses, had some delicious Mohnnudln (possible misspelling- hand rolled potato dumplings drowned in melted butter, powdered sugar, and about two cups worth of poppy seeds) at Schweizerhaus, then headed for Black Mamba. I almost skipped it, since it looked like a skyscraper with a little extra oomph (due to the dual spinning arm) and I just rode the skyscraper in Paris last week. I gave it a try, though, and OMFG. Rode it twice. Don't think I could take a third time without a break in the middle. Seriously, damn. That ride kicks azz.

The boomerang was the only coaster I hadn't done before (it was closed last time I was here) and I was anxious to try out the OTSR-less trains. I did worry a bit when I saw the non-padded steel butterfly bars and the position of the grab bars, but I figured that it couldn't be worse than a normal boomerang. The trip up the first spike gave me a good workout, keeping my body off the steel bar, but it wasn't difficult. As it turns out, boomerangs are hella fun when you aren't getting battered. The trains were plenty comfy, the non-padded bar wasn't an issue at all, and I got off the ride smiling. Can't ever remember that happening on a boomerang.

Speaking of not smiling after a ride, Volare. For the love of all that is holy, fix that first turn after the dip at the beginning. That part is just brutal... not that the rest of the ride is pleasant. It's not.

Anyway, I had a great time at the Prater and I'm hoping that Black Mamba will find a stateside presence soon.

Tried to talk the lady running the Autofahrt woodie to let me ride, but no credit whoring allowed there. I seriously doubt I could've gotten both my feet in that car, anyway, let alone sat in it.

The boomerang was the only coaster I hadn't done before (it was closed last time I was here) and I was anxious to try out the OTSR-less trains. I did worry a bit when I saw the non-padded steel butterfly bars and the position of the grab bars, but I figured that it couldn't be worse than a normal boomerang. The trip up the first spike gave me a good workout, keeping my body off the steel bar, but it wasn't difficult. As it turns out, boomerangs are hella fun when you aren't getting battered. The trains were plenty comfy, the non-padded bar wasn't an issue at all, and I got off the ride smiling. Can't ever remember that happening on a boomerang.

The guy running Autofahrt when I tried pretty much yelled at me to go away.

Agree on the Boomerang, amazing how much fun it is which those trains.

• 3 years later...

Look what arrived at Prater Park!

Olympia Looping!

The ride will be at Prater for almost the entire season - the park's 250th! - until early September, when it moves to the Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany.

In other news, Olympia Looping now finally has an rcdb-entry: http://rcdb.com/13819.htm

Corkscrew.jpg.57819b2048b57d1568de0afd549b00a3.jpg

Corkscrew(Knotts).nltrack

photos: alex_b82 / onride.de

onride-upic509022@full.thumb.jpg.90a88b770f2e9f8e8a4a940ad3b28790.jpg

onride-upic509046@full.thumb.jpg.c4e5353bfd60bce80c4998de769f5162.jpg

onride-upic509047@full.thumb.jpg.b8a8c9e0ae66f04d158f9be52fef83cd.jpg

onride-upic509053@full.thumb.jpg.844ad6d56d889163db91de5bbd39824c.jpg

If Olympia Looping were to ever go out of the carnival circuit, how likely would it be for Wiener Prater to give it a permanent home?

That would be up to whoever owns the ride at that point, since besides the ferris wheel the rides at Prater aren't actually owned by the park but by individual companies (hence how they can have place Olympia Looping there temporarily).

I still hope it ends up in the US sooner or later... It's compact enough that any number of major parks could house it.

The owner of the ride is not looking for a permanent home. Wherever the coaster goes, customers will be charged a cost each ride, unless an entity coughs up big bucks to convince the otherwise. Wiener Prater customer's are familiar with the cost per ride model throughout the park and it probably only ended up there this season in recognition of the park's 250th anniversary.

It will not end up in the US unless it is taken off the touring circuit.

I still hope it ends up in the US sooner or later...

Absolutely NOT! I have two words for you: ZONGA! Do we need to relive that whole mess about what happens when pussy American's get a kick ass ride like this in from Europe? They screw it up because the "American Idiot" audience can't handle such rides.

Also see: Skyrush.

Keep these kinds of rides OUTSIDE of the US parks where they can be enjoyed by people who aren't stupid.

• 2 weeks later...

Wurstelprater is an insanely ideal location for a coaster like Olympia Looping. That would be cool if the coaster did a rotation between the Hamburg fairs, Oktoberfest and then Prater every year. I remember hearing some rumblings of the coaster being difficult for the operators to keep around.

• 3 weeks later...
I still hope it ends up in the US sooner or later...

Absolutely NOT! I have two words for you: ZONGA! Do we need to relive that whole mess about what happens when pussy American's get a kick A$$ ride like this in from Europe? They screw it up because the "American Idiot" audience can't handle such rides.

Also see: Skyrush.

Keep these kinds of rides OUTSIDE of the US parks where they can be enjoyed by people who aren't stupid.

Amen, brotha!

although Zonga is only one word...

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...