Erik & Smisty's Florida Oddventures

Holy Land! - Page 114
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Erik & Smisty's Florida Oddventures

Postby robbalvey » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:02 pm

PriestofSyrinx wrote:MOSI in Tampa is a very interesting Science Museum

The Recyclesaurus is one of my favorite landmarks in Florida!

He's kind of sad and pathetic

Postby BarryH » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:38 pm

I've always wondered about the Water Ski Hall of fame in Polk County, off exit 44 on I-4. I pass by it on my way to Orlando and I've always wondered what's in there. I see 3-4 cars parked in front at any time.

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:07 pm

^ Haven't heard of that one, but it sounds like our kind of place! :p
Erik Allen Elness

Postby BarryH » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:10 pm

^I think it's a little north of Fantasy of Flight and the rest stop on I-4. If you're in the vicinity of exit 44, you can see it to your left. It's a blue building.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby paiging_jen » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:14 pm

It's definitely there. Polk County native but I've never experienced it.

Postby BarryH » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:12 pm

Well, if you want to check out the Holy Land Experience, you can go for free on October 5. Check this out:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/os-holy-land-free-admission-20100916,0,4577229.story

It's probably best to go there early, as it looks like the park reached capacity moments after opening.

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:55 pm

^ Um, yeah...despite what I said earlier, I think I'd rather just pay. :p
Erik Allen Elness

Postby BarryH » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:00 pm

It would be interesting to see an atheist's view on the place. I gave my agnostic view on it already:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1565&hilit=holy+land+experience

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby IBtacoDave » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:34 pm

BarryH wrote:It would be interesting to see an atheist's view on the place. I gave my agnostic view on it already:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1565&hilit=holy+land+experience

I'm guessing the viewpoints would be the same. Although as an agnostic myself I'm not willing to rule anything out.

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:32 pm

Last year, we visited the WonderWorks in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee--as documented in our Smoky Mountain Adventures thread--and gave it a somewhat middling review. So we were keen on visiting the original, here in Orlando, to see if it was any different and/or better.

The verdict? The two are very similar, except that this one is smaller, more cramped, has fewer exhibits, and is basically inferior to the Pigeon Forge location in almost every way. Enough so that we really can't recommend it. But don't take mere words for it....

WonderWorks, Orlando
02P9120218.JPG
This one is much closer to the road, and is much more imposing as a result. Which is probably a good thing.

It should be noted, however, that it is on a completely level road. It's just really hard to take a straight picture of it. :OP
03IMGP7047.jpg
And, right off the bat, my visit is ruined. Now I must return to the car to drop off my gat.
05P9120223.JPG
The lobby is similar to that of Pigeon Forge's, but decidedly smaller.
06P9120224.jpg
On the other hand, this one is more expensive. So it's got that going for it.
08P9120225.JPG
Note: You will not actually be spun upsidedown. Thank you.
10P9120227.jpg
Aaaahhhh!!!
12IMGP7055.jpg
"Even Though You Will Want To, Because It Is The Coolest Thing Here"
14P9120238.JPG
The Titanic thing--while not terribly entertaining--was at least not at the one in Pigeon Forge. (The Earthquake "simulator" is, though.)
16P9120240.JPG
I don't care how bad an employee she is, "Hurricane Hole" isn't a nice thing to call anyone. (Brought to you by Mountain Dew. Do the Dew.)
18P9120241.jpg
And then there's kind of a spinning thing with some crap up above it, and a monitor that shows the outside, but upsidedown. Ooh, hand sanitizer!
22P9120245.JPG
This uses light to create the illusion that water is falling upwards. Or something. I don't really even care.
24P9120244.JPG
Tic tac toe? And they're only charging $25 to get in here?? (Actually, the sad part is that people are actually playing it, so starved for entertainment are they.)
26P9120249.JPG
What Erik & Smisty would look like if they were midgets (who were looking into a regular mirror).
28P9120250.JPG
Bubbles. Yeah, they have it at the other one. Yeah, it's bigger there.
32P9120254.JPG
So, Thor flies by throwing his hammer, and then holding onto it?

That really has nothing to do with this update. It's just been bugging me.
34P9120255.JPG
Yeah, they have that stupid Mind Ball thing here, too.
37P9120257.JPG
And the "virtual" air hockey.
40P9120262.jpg
Misty tries to end her misery by throwing herself onto a bed of nails.
42P9120272.JPG
Just pee right there on the piano. (Look at the picture again. It'll come to you eventually.)
46P9120275.JPG
When I'm feeling sad, I go to my happy place. Which is nothing like the Sound Lab.
48IMGP7062.jpg
Fueled by anger, I kick this arcade device's A$$.
50P9120278.JPG
Note the "design your own virtual roller coaster" simulator in the background. I mean, if you want to. Whatever. I'm gonna go sanitize my hands.
54P9120280.JPG
Hey, you know what would be cool? If they had something here that the other place didn't have. Anything, really. I'd settle for a mold-a-mattic machine, at this point.
56P9120282.JPG
Holy fudging fudge-cakes!!!
64P9120288.JPG
Upstairs in "the basement" (because the building's upsidedown, you see), is a 4-D theater (which we didn't do, but we assume is crappy, because they always are), laser tag, and an arcade. But first we must endure some optical illusions.
65P9120292.JPG
Good job, Smisty!
78P9120299.JPG
Okay, so there is one cool thing here that isn't at the other one: a ropes course above the arcade!
80P9120307.JPG
Heading back down, you encounter these pictures made out of used chewing gum. So there you go.
84P9120309.JPG
Back on the ground floor (or, erm, "attic"?) there's an eatery and then a gift shop.
92IMGP7076.JPG
With this face, I was trying to convey, "How the hell did they get this picture without getting that light post in front of it??"
94P9120314.JPG
I honestly don't feel that this shirt properly reflects the WonderWorks Orlando experience.
Goldfish Socks.jpg
There, that's better.

So, in short, if you absolutely *must* visit WonderWorks, try to go to the one in Pigeon Forge. Thank you.
Erik Allen Elness

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!