TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lagoon Discussion Thread

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Although this was announced back in May, just want to remind everyone of a new family coaster going in to Lagoon Amusement Park in 2011. It will be the park's 8th coaster.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700027891/Lagoon-to-add-new-roller-coaster-in-2011.html

FARMINGTON — Lagoon didn't have a new ride this season, for the first time in 18 years. However, the Intermountain area's largest amusement park has now confirmed that it will open a new family-oriented roller coaster in 2011.

"We're calling it a family coaster," Dick Andrew, Lagoon spokesman, said. "It's certainly not a blockbuster. … But it will be a fun ride."

It will be located south and east of the Jumping Dragon Ride. The new coaster will replace space occupied by two small picnic pavilions. Construction will start at the end of this season.

However, he stressed that this construction is not related to or near another project at the northeast end of Lagoon. That work, to the north of the Samurai and Hydro Luge rides, involves construction of a new road to connect the Lagoon Annex building, located at the corner of Farmington's Main Street and Park Lane intersection, with the rest of Lagoon.

Andrew likened the new family-friendly roller coaster to The Bat, a $3 million suspended roller coaster that Lagoon opened in 2005. Many families can't ride The Bat together because of its 42-inch and taller height restriction. He said the new ride has no height limit established yet.

Lagoon already has six other roller coasters — Wicked, Fire Dragon, White Wooden Roller Coaster, Jet Star, Puff and The Bat — depending on your definition of a coaster ride — so the new one would be the seventh (or eighth, if you include the Wild Mouse ride.)

Andrew said the new coaster will further enhance the family ride area of Lagoon.

Edited by larrygator

• 2 months later...
so the new one would be the seventh (or eighth, if you include the Wild Mouse ride.)

Strange. I've never heard any question if a Wild Mouse is a coaster or not before.

I should have done more research before I said it was the eighth coaster. The direct quote above was from the article in the local paper.

so the new one would be the seventh (or eighth, if you include the Wild Mouse ride.)

Strange. I've never heard any question if a Wild Mouse is a coaster or not before.

I should have done more research before I said it was the eighth coaster. The direct quote above was from the article in the local paper.

Considering the Deseret News recently laid off more than 50% of their work force, their sub standard reporting will continue it's downfall. They even forgot Spider.

• 2 weeks later...
hmmmm...Bombora? and I hear it will have a beach theme. Now where have I heard of that before?
You should have listened to me! I told you to trademark the slide names! At least we now know Lagoon has "ZERO" creativity (Big Shocker) and has to steal their Coaster Names from a Musical and a Competing Water Park.

- Sid

I find it somewhat odd that Lagoon continues to add these small coasters to the park (not including Wicked). I realize they have to deal with Farmington when they plan something but I thought adding Wicked would be the start of seeing some slightly bigger attractions coming to the park.

^Looking at satellite images of the park, Lagoon doesn't seem to have much room unless they want to do something like Cliffs or Indiana Beach. Then, you have Lagoon being a family owned park, which limits the amount of capital they have available to spend. If you look at their coaster selection, which is pretty impressive(especially for a family owned park), you'll see a lot of clones. While these aren't appealing from an enthusiast perspective, they are great for business as they are cheaper than custom models, and they get people through the gates. While I think it would be great to see another major coaster get built, I could see a SLC or the rumored X-Car getting built, Lagoon seems to be doing great with what they are doing.

I'm glad this park keeps adding to what already seems to be a decent coaster collection (at least in number; not the worst in quality, either). At this point I'm considering a 2012 visit (especially if rumors come true), although of course I wouldn't refuse a 2011 visit if that happened to work out for me.

This park is amazing and adding another family ride I think people will finally see it as a destination to visit like other theme parks. With all the stuff in Salt Lake City and this park right outside of it (and not to mention Cowabunga Bay) Utah is way more awesome than Arizona when it comes to the theme park industry.

^Keep me posted when you guys may be visiting and I'll see if I can make a trek up there to visit.

Jimmy "Lagoon is awesome" Bo

I really love Lagoon. It still has that family owned feel to it, even though it continues to grow. It has a really great ride selection, but I wish they had another big coaster. Other than how terrible their waterpark is, I have no complaints. Operations are awesome, the lines are always moving, and everyone is friendly.

^Very cute card.

This is the biggest park in the US that I've never visited. I intend to change that in 2011!

Lagoon has done Christmas Cards like that for well over 12 Years now, and now that I think about it, I believe they used something similar in 2006 for Wicked.

I know KidTums would have a Great Time on Jumping Dragon, OdySea, and the other Family Rides.

This park is amazing and adding another family ride I think people will finally see it as a destination to visit like other theme parks. With all the stuff in Salt Lake City and this park right outside of it (and not to mention Cowabunga Bay) Utah is way more awesome than Arizona when it comes to the theme park industry.

^Keep me posted when you guys may be visiting and I'll see if I can make a trek up there to visit.

Jimmy "Lagoon is awesome" Bo

JimmyBo, I hope you at least stay till closing this time to see what Wicked can Really Do.

Ten years ago you could ride all of the Coasters, all of the Rides, and even catch a Show or two on an Early Weekday Crowd. With 4 More Coasters and nearly a Dozen other new Rides, you need 2 Days to really explore the park, as Pioneer Village takes at least an hour to go through.

Also, if you guys are turning this into a meet up, I'd really like to meet you guys and I'm sure other members of LagoonisFun.com would like to as well. Perhaps we could even plan an LIF Potluck around your Visit, no need to bring anything as you would be invited guests. We also have an actual Chef as a Member of LIF.

- Sid