Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

P. 1164: "Holiday in the Park: event announced for 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Re: The Six Flags Great America (SFGam) Discussion Thread!

Postby ilrider » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:53 pm

netdvn wrote:
ilrider wrote:
FeelTheFORCE wrote:^ You already have Raging Bull, which is an older model hyper, but B&M's are mostly "cookie cutters" and don't change all that much anyway. Not to mention you also have Superman, which is miles better than Firehawk, or any Vekoma Flyer for that matter, in my opinion. And those are only two of an already-stellar coaster collection. I don't know why you're complaining. I would LOVE to have a massive park like that near me.

Call me spoiled, I guess, but you would probably get tired of it after awhile. I live ten minutes away and spent almost every day of my teen years there, so maybe I got burned out. I'm not saying KI has a better collection of rides, just that the recent additions to GAm have been underwhelming. I know it's a good coaster collection, but the only ones that really excite me anymore are Raging Bull, Viper, and Batman: TR, and they have all been there for a long time. I read about all these newer top coasters around the country and wish we had just one. I'm not the only local with the same thoughts. We only went there this summer because we had four free tickets. We never go to the water park because it takes two days to do both, so a slide doesn't excite me after thinking Chang was here.

The year Griffon opened (and the year following) I visited BGW on a regular basis because it was my home park and the perfect place to get my coaster fix (since I don't get to visit parks very often). However, I made the mistake of visiting the park very regularly, so I got bored of riding the same coasters/water rides and seeing the same shows every single day. Since then I never really visited the park (saving up for next year's tower). I don't really miss the park that much even though I love BGW.

I'd HIGHLY recommend just not visiting the park for a long term period (maybe a year or two) and come back to the park. You will enjoy it more than you do now regardless of a new ride or not. Just be glad your homepark is actually getting something new.

Good advice. I didn't get a chance to mention that our trip there this summer was actually the best one I have had in years, because it was almost a ghost town on a weekday in the middle of July, with HH full. We have not seen such short lines there in many years. I was not looking forward to the day, because last year the we had to wait 45 minutes for the Hometown Fun Machine it was so crowded, but we were pleasantly surprised this year and got in rides on all the coasters except V2, which was down and then had a long line. My 8 and 10 year old daughters are awesome because they will ride any coasters and always love them. My wife and I have to take turns staying with our 2 year old son, so sometimes we each sacrifice at least a coaster each, or ride them twice.

My problem is that I suffer from severe motion sickness, to the point I have to be on Dramamine all day to go on rides, so I stay off any flat rides that spin too much these days, so coasters are about the only rides I can tolerate.

Our trips to new parks in the last couple summers has been great. I have not been to any other parks but this one in almost 20 years, believe it or not (hence the burnout), so my horizons have been expanded a bit. I would take your advice and avoid GAm for awhile, which I did for several years in my 20s, but my kids get these free reading program tickets every summer, so we're obligated to go. Mid-July will be our target from now on for shorter lines and more rides, at least.
[img]
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://
[Image
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/fe606e4d7df6bd8b82f92c697d3b438b.jpg[/img][/url]

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby Hayzle » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:00 pm

If it is a big addition to the park I'm thinking it's the slides that were supposed to go to Kentucky Kingdom until Six Flags closed it
I conquered the lazer snake dive loop of flaming death

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby The_Mad_Hatter » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:41 pm

traincrossin wrote:Here's the latest from the puzzle. The bit that catches my eye is "near-vertical" and "slide". Another part looks like it says "Featuring". Could we possibly see a whole new section in Hurricane Harbor with multiple new slides?

Also "...best water park just got bigger." I could definitely see an expansion.

Wisconsin Dells Fanatic

Postby traincrossin » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:51 pm

^Well it's obvious now that we're getting a waterpark expansion, but will it be just one slide or a whole new section? I guess we'll just have to wait till tomorrow to find out.
13 - Gatekeeper
14 - Millennium Force

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby WildStangAlex » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:43 pm

I can see the water park getting a LOT bigger, and dropping free admission. A separate gate for each park-type deal. We shall soon find out.

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:54 pm

Bonzai Beach, anyone? ;-)

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby AndCamSS » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:08 am

WildStangAlex wrote:I can see the water park getting a LOT bigger, and dropping free admission. A separate gate for each park-type deal. We shall soon find out.

I really think making the water park a separate admission when it has been included in admission since it opened would be a horrible idea and would look like just another money making scheme. Has any other water park been free then changed to separate admission?

I eat bugs.

Postby deathbydinn » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:07 pm

Add me on Simpsons Tapped Out - jongrundl

My transgendered dreams have come true!!!

Postby Mr. Starr » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:08 pm

Announcement is out on Facebook:

Coming in 2011 – Riptide Bay at Hurricane Harbor. The newly expanded water park will boast more slides and attractions than any other in the state! Best of all, it’s FREE with park admission or your season pass, now on sale!

I'm still excited, and I'll definitely need to finally get out to Hurricane Harbor next season! :b

nathan c stark is a bunghole

Jo My Oh!

Postby Jerrykoala2112 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:30 pm

I'm just so happy there is an activity pool now. There wasn't a normal swimming pool you could just hang out in (Sorry, the wave pool is such a bummer and is evacuated too much.) Surf Simulators though, very thrilling!

What was Jer's last adventure? Drayton Manor - 2012
Check out my SFGAm Music Video - Here

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!