TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

I know, but that wasn't my point. My post was mainly directed at him only, and I was using his logic. If he is "tired" of all the great coasters that GAm already has, than what's the point of building a top-tier, world class coaster if he will only get "tired" of it eventually, right?

My bad.. it's late haha.

^^To bring his business back until they build another coaster.

Honestly though, it doesn't matter. Let him believe what he wants. He's neither wrong or right about this because everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. While what he's saying may sound odd to you guys, in his mind, he's right, and that's really all that matters. It's just about as pointless as arguing what the best coaster in the world is, everyone's gonna have their own opinion!

To get this thread on track though, my midwest trip got delayed until next year, does anyone have an idea about what the crowds are like somewhere around late June?

I don't know .. To me, saying "SFGAm needs a new coaster because it hasn't had one in X number of years" is wrong. Building coasters based on "years since the last one" will yield places like Cedar Point, or SFMM .. All coasters, and nothing else (remember, I love SFMM - although I wouldn't want it as my home park). Ask Elissa how much she's able to ride with Kristen at SFMM compared to SFGAm. Even Indiana Beach (back in the day) could entertain for 10 hours straight .. And that place only has 5 coasters - none of which can be considered "world class".

Now I'm not a waterpark person, so I could care less about any additions there; and personally I'd have way more fun with additions to the dry park. However I'm also realistic ... SFGAm is a small park near a great big, massive amount of people. You could double the size of the park, and it would still have capacity issues. The waterpark is king now, and so that's where the focus lies. Even though I personally would prefer an addition to the dry park, I'm actually happy that they're increasing waterpark capacity; it's what the park needs. Certainly what the park doesn't need is another coaster.

Cameron.

I'm bored with my home park, GAm, frankly, so to have Chang dangled in front of us in the media then snatched away was disappointing. We just went to King's Island a couple weeks back for the first time. That park has recently gotten Firehawk, the awesome Diamondback, and now Windseeker for 2011. Guess I can't expect much from a SF company trying to emerge from bankruptcy, especially when the park is already popular, but a waterslide? This is why there is little drawing me to GAm anymore.

You may be experiencing the old "another man's grass is always greener" phenomenon here. A park that's "new" to you is always going to appear fresher than your home park.

^^^ Indiana Beach is appalling this year; operations are terrible, and the whole park has completely lost that amazing atmosphere and engery it had just 3 years ago. Michigan's Adventure? Seriously? The park is a sand-trap. I'm sorry you're bored with SFGAm, but that's really not their problem. One could live next door to a Disney park, or SDC, or even Europa Park for 30 years, and they'd likely get bored too.

^Atem, companies add major rides to parks I order to fill holes, or boost attendance. Not sure if you've been to SFGAm, but it's extremely well rounded - in that regards it absolutely kicks SFMMs butt (and I love SFMM). To be honest, I don't want barf-em-up B&M floor-less coasters built in the parking lot, crap like that doesn't make a park better. In fact I think SFGAm would be better if two of the coasters were removed (Iron Wolf and Demon), obstencivly to make room for some new areas and new flats.

I'm very amused that it's the high-school kids telling the adults to suck it up, and stop whining.

Cameron.

(I'm also laughing about Michiigans Adventure..!)

We had a blast at Michigans adventure the last few times we were there. Apparently we were not the only ones, as the park was packed. What do you mean by "sand trap"? Is that because it's next to a golf course?

While I am far from being a highschool kid, I will say that I think it's time they start thinking about another coaster. While I do agree about iron wolf(horrid ride), I really like demon. The demon was actually my daughters first upside down ride.

I think the new slide is great for the water park though. I am not a water park person, so it does not do much for me.

Not sure how much room the park has, but a coaster like diamondback or even a floorless would work well for the park. I know they made room for chang, so I can see a compact B&M or mega lite coaster fitting into the area somehow.

I really like the park, it's one of my favorite parks. But it's missing a coaster that makes you say "WOW".

Just my opinion.....

^ You already have Raging Bull, which is an older model hyper, but B&M's are mostly "cookie cutters" and don't change all that much anyway. Not to mention you also have Superman, which is miles better than Firehawk, or any Vekoma Flyer for that matter, in my opinion. And those are only two of an already-stellar coaster collection. I don't know why you're complaining. I would LOVE to have a massive park like that near me.

Call me spoiled, I guess, but you would probably get tired of it after awhile. I live ten minutes away and spent almost every day of my teen years there, so maybe I got burned out. I'm not saying KI has a better collection of rides, just that the recent additions to GAm have been underwhelming. I know it's a good coaster collection, but the only ones that really excite me anymore are Raging Bull, Viper, and Batman: TR, and they have all been there for a long time. I read about all these newer top coasters around the country and wish we had just one. I'm not the only local with the same thoughts. We only went there this summer because we had four free tickets. We never go to the water park because it takes two days to do both, so a slide doesn't excite me after thinking Chang was here.

The year Griffon opened (and the year following) I visited BGW on a regular basis because it was my home park and the perfect place to get my coaster fix (since I don't get to visit parks very often). However, I made the mistake of visiting the park very regularly, so I got bored of riding the same coasters/water rides and seeing the same shows every single day. Since then I never really visited the park (saving up for next year's tower). I don't really miss the park that much even though I love BGW.

I'd HIGHLY recommend just not visiting the park for a long term period (maybe a year or two) and come back to the park. You will enjoy it more than you do now regardless of a new ride or not. Just be glad your homepark is actually getting something new.

To get this thread on track though, my midwest trip got delayed until next year, does anyone have an idea about what the crowds are like somewhere around late June?

Bearable. That's when the crowds really start the pick up.

But about the topic on this page... I've been going to Six Flags Great America since I was a month old and have been getting Six Flags passes since I was too old to go in for free, and I am still not bored of the park. I will admit that I do find some rides to be boring and don't ride the ride for awhile (Raging Bull and Superman) but then I ride it later and enjoy it more than I did before. But I still have yet to get bored of the park as a hole.

I see the park limited to the size of Batman: The Dark Knight for a floorless coaster. They need to handle more people though.

What????

Yes, granted everyone is welcome to their opinion, sometimes they just don't make sense.

I live 15 minutes away, ten if traffic is good. I've only gone twice this year, and not because the park is boring...I just don't have time. I made my first trip to SFGAm when I was four. We went as a family once a year (typically my parent's wedding anniversary) as a way for the family to enjoy a day together. And to help overcome our Disney fix between trips.

SFGAm (Marriott's way back then) was a family based park. We could do so much together with all the kids areas, the flats, and even ride Willard's Whizzer together. Once Six Flags came in when I was a teen, that was when I stopped going. The park was taking out flats, and adding coasters that just didn't fit the theming in which they were placed, and it was really distressing for me, personally. Don't get me started on taking out Demon's lava pools....

I'm glad to see them getting back to family oriented rides, and attractions, as that's what will build a customer base for years to come. Adding more coasters, will not do that. A slide at a water? Yes.

Do I grow bored with the park? Absolutely, but I still find myself wanting to return (more some years than others), and reminising of some great family memories, and now TPR memories.

Although I'm a little late on posting this, Six Flags Great America has sent us information on their new attraction announcement, taking place tomorrow on Facebook first, followed by an announcement for the general public.

Want to find out what’s happening at Six Flags Great America for the 2011 season? You’ll have to check Facebook. The Gurnee-based theme park announced plans today to reveal what's new for 2011 to their Facebook fans first.

Six Flags Great America is using a Facebook application to reveal daily clues leading up to the announcement. The application features a puzzle theme – each day pieces of the puzzle are removed, exposing a section of a hidden image. The entire image will be revealed on September 1.

This is the first time the park has utilized social media to announce a new addition. “With a fan base of more than 130,000, we thought announcing on Facebook first would be a great opportunity to reward our most loyal fans.” said Meredith Kelleher, social media liaison for the park. “Facebook has allowed us to interact with our guests in a whole new way – from releasing new information, to answering real-time questions to providing a behind-the-scenes look into our park.” Six Flags Great America’s Facebook page has grown from 900 fans to over 100,000 in less than a year.

The park’s new addition will be announced to Facebook fans on September 1, and the general public after. For more details or to follow along, visit facebook.com/SFGreatAmerica.

Six Flags Great America is located between Chicago and Milwaukee and offers fun for the entire family with 14 heart-pounding roller coasters, a free 15-acre water park, spectacular shows and four children’s themed areas.

^ You already have Raging Bull, which is an older model hyper, but B&M's are mostly "cookie cutters" and don't change all that much anyway. Not to mention you also have Superman, which is miles better than Firehawk, or any Vekoma Flyer for that matter, in my opinion. And those are only two of an already-stellar coaster collection. I don't know why you're complaining. I would LOVE to have a massive park like that near me.

Call me spoiled, I guess, but you would probably get tired of it after awhile. I live ten minutes away and spent almost every day of my teen years there, so maybe I got burned out. I'm not saying KI has a better collection of rides, just that the recent additions to GAm have been underwhelming. I know it's a good coaster collection, but the only ones that really excite me anymore are Raging Bull, Viper, and Batman: TR, and they have all been there for a long time. I read about all these newer top coasters around the country and wish we had just one. I'm not the only local with the same thoughts. We only went there this summer because we had four free tickets. We never go to the water park because it takes two days to do both, so a slide doesn't excite me after thinking Chang was here.

The year Griffon opened (and the year following) I visited BGW on a regular basis because it was my home park and the perfect place to get my coaster fix (since I don't get to visit parks very often). However, I made the mistake of visiting the park very regularly, so I got bored of riding the same coasters/water rides and seeing the same shows every single day. Since then I never really visited the park (saving up for next year's tower). I don't really miss the park that much even though I love BGW.

I'd HIGHLY recommend just not visiting the park for a long term period (maybe a year or two) and come back to the park. You will enjoy it more than you do now regardless of a new ride or not. Just be glad your homepark is actually getting something new.

Good advice. I didn't get a chance to mention that our trip there this summer was actually the best one I have had in years, because it was almost a ghost town on a weekday in the middle of July, with HH full. We have not seen such short lines there in many years. I was not looking forward to the day, because last year the we had to wait 45 minutes for the Hometown Fun Machine it was so crowded, but we were pleasantly surprised this year and got in rides on all the coasters except V2, which was down and then had a long line. My 8 and 10 year old daughters are awesome because they will ride any coasters and always love them. My wife and I have to take turns staying with our 2 year old son, so sometimes we each sacrifice at least a coaster each, or ride them twice.

My problem is that I suffer from severe motion sickness, to the point I have to be on Dramamine all day to go on rides, so I stay off any flat rides that spin too much these days, so coasters are about the only rides I can tolerate.

Our trips to new parks in the last couple summers has been great. I have not been to any other parks but this one in almost 20 years, believe it or not (hence the burnout), so my horizons have been expanded a bit. I would take your advice and avoid GAm for awhile, which I did for several years in my 20s, but my kids get these free reading program tickets every summer, so we're obligated to go. Mid-July will be our target from now on for shorter lines and more rides, at least.

Here's the latest from the puzzle. The bit that catches my eye is "near-vertical" and "slide". Another part looks like it says "Featuring". Could we possibly see a whole new section in Hurricane Harbor with multiple new slides?

Also "...best water park just got bigger." I could definitely see an expansion.

I can see the water park getting a LOT bigger, and dropping free admission. A separate gate for each park-type deal. We shall soon find out.

I really think making the water park a separate admission when it has been included in admission since it opened would be a horrible idea and would look like just another money making scheme. Has any other water park been free then changed to separate admission?

Announcement is out on Facebook:

Coming in 2011 – Riptide Bay at Hurricane Harbor. The newly expanded water park will boast more slides and attractions than any other in the state! Best of all, it’s FREE with park admission or your season pass, now on sale!

I'm still excited, and I'll definitely need to finally get out to Hurricane Harbor next season!

This is going to be awesome! I've never been on a surf simulator, so that is something I need to try for next year. Is "activity pool" just a fancy name for "kid's play area"?

I'm wondering if they will create a separate entrance to the water park with this expansion? I know they didn't announce it, but that doesn't mean it's not going to happen.