SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 608: Craft Beer Festival & Jack Hanna Weekend report!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Re: SeaWorld Orlando's "Quick Queue”

Postby justint87 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:55 am

topthrilld wrote:Can you buy these at the park instead of online, so that I can gauge the lines? Also, do they ever sell out? I'm not planning on arriving to the park until 3-4pm. Thank you.

You can buy Quick Queue at the park. They are sold at Guest Services and Guest Assistance Center and depending on time of year (ex. during summer), in some of the gift shops as well. They rarely sell out and you should be fine getting some around 3-4PM.

Bubbles!

Re: SeaWorld Orlando Discussion Thread

Postby ParkTrips » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:21 pm

Saw this pop up on my homepage:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/08/23/seaworld.fine/?hpt=T2

(CNN) -- SeaWorld has been fined $75,000 by the U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration for three safety violations, including one classified as willful, after one of its animal trainers was killed in February.

In a statement issued Monday, OSHA regional administrator Cindy Coe said that SeaWorld knew of the inherent risks of allowing trainers to interact with dangerous animals.

"Nonetheless, it required its employees to work within the pool walls, on ledges and on shelves where they were subject to dangerous behavior by the animals," Coe said in the statement.

SeaWorld denied what it called "unfounded" allegations by OSHA and said it would contest the citations.

"OSHA's allegations in this citation are unsupported by any evidence or precedent and reflect a fundamental lack of understanding of the safety requirements associated with marine mammal care penalties," said a SeaWorld statement Monday.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:28 pm

So if I am reading this correctly, no one is ever allowed to train/work with "dangerous" animals. I could understand that one particular Killer Whale because it had problems in the past, but all animals? Dolphins can be considered dangerous animals, and according to OSHA, they shouldn't be allowed to "work within the pool walls, on ledges and on shelves." Seems a little like OSHA is stepping over it's legal reach. You could easily say the same thing about any number of professions.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Blind Idiot God » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:35 pm

Orcas are highly intelligent animals that are not going to take this crap sitting forever. They may look complacent now, but they're all ticking time bombs. I can say that I'm never surprised when I read a story about an orca deciding to snap. You can't piss something like that off forever and not expect it to finally say "enough".

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Lawsuit Brought Against Seaworld

Postby CardCraze » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:06 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/08/26/2010-08-26_family_sues_seaworld.html#ixzz0xi6598Gj

The family of a New Hampshire 10-year-old who watched a killer whale batter and drown a trainer at SeaWorld has filed suit against the amusement park, the Daily News has learned.

Todd and Suzanne Connell, who took their son Bobby to Florida in February to celebrate his 10th birthday, say the boy looked straight into Dawn Brancheau's eyes as the doomed trainer briefly freed herself from the orca's jaws.

Bobby Connell "saw the look of horror and desperation on Dawn's face as she was swimming for her life," the complaint reads.

"He then saw Tilikum violently yank her down again to the depths of the pool."

The boy, who became hysterical as Brancheau's broken body was dragged around the tank, has been plagued by gruesome nightmares ever since, the family says.

"He never cried much before. Now he's angry all the time. And he's not eating. The school's had some counseling for him," said his mom, Suzanne Connell.

"It affected all of us. I'll start crying while driving. I mean, we saw her face. She made it to the surface and she looked directly at us. I see that face every night before I go to bed."

The Connells filed a negligence lawsuit Tuesday, one day after the Labor Department smacked SeaWorld for regularly putting Brancheau in mortal danger by letting her get close to the unpredictable 6-ton orca, who had killed twice before.

Brancheau's widowed husband, Scott, is reportedly planning a wrongful-death suit.

Animal rights activists welcomed the legal pressure on SeaWorld.

"These lawsuits and the damning OSHA report bring us closer to the day when frustrated wild animals will no longer be captive in amusement parks, and they also hit SeaWorld's greedy owners in the only place they understand: their wallets," said Ingrid Newkirk, president of the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

SeaWorld said it would not comment on pending litigation, but pushed back strongly at the federal report, calling its findings of serious and "willful" violations unfounded.

SeaWorld is appealing the $75,000 in fines levied against it.

Lawyer John Overchuck said the Connells were seeking unspecified damages from SeaWorld and also think Tilikum should be freed.

"What part of 'killer whale' don't you understand? This is one whale that you know is a real killer. If he were a human being, SeaWorld would be harboring a murderer," Overchuck said.

"Put him back in the ocean, where orcas do not kill humans."

The Connells, of Somersworth, N.H., were on their fourth annual trip to SeaWorld when they watched Brancheau do a Feb. 24 lunchtime show with Tilikum called "Dine with Shamu."

Trainers were not allowed in the tank with the killer whale, but Brancheau was lying on a shallow submerged ledge when the whale grabbed her by her ponytail and dragged her under.

The Connells, whose videotape of Brancheau's final performance with Tilikum was widely used by media outlets, have been publicly critical of SeaWorld's immediate response, which they called chaotic.

It took 30 minutes to retrieve Brancheau's body from the killer whale.

They also say SeaWorld managers were rude and dismissive when they brought their crying child to the guest services area.

"SeaWorld has got to understand that there has got to be a result to their actions," Overchuck said. "It might not seem like a big deal to them that this 10-year-old has nightmares, but it's a big deal to his mom."
Parks Visited in 2015: None so far!

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Re: Lawsuit Brought Against Seaworld

Postby Blind Idiot God » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:19 pm

Go orca. Sea World can eat me. Leave the damn things in the ocean where they were meant to be.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Yamez » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:06 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't a lot of the animals brought to Sea World either loaned to from other parks, born there, or brought to the park to be nursed back to health. If they can't be nursed back to health they keep the animals. Perhaps I'm wrong though.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:12 pm

SeaWorld Orlando has sent us a press release about their latest efforts to help release manatees back into the wild.

Today, August 26, SeaWorld released a second manatee to the waters of KARS Park near the Kennedy Space Center.

The 8½-foot-long, 680-pound female was rescued May 17, 2010 from a canal in Satellite Beach, Fla. after wildlife officials observed her floating high in the water. This condition typically indicates internal injuries, which can include broken ribs or punctured lungs, caused by a probable boat strike.

On Tuesday, August 24, the team released an 8-foot-long, 630-pound female, that was rescued June 23, 2010 along the National Canaveral Seashore near New Smyrna Beach, Fla.

Both animals were rescued by the SeaWorld Animal Rescue Team after they were observed floating high in the water with the inability to submerge. This can be caused by internal damage to the chest or punctured lungs from a boat strike. Upon examination by SeaWorld veterinarians, no internal injuries were found, making for a short stay at SeaWorld’s rehabilitation facility and a quick return to their natural habitat.

SeaWorld is a global leader in the rescue and rehabilitation of marine animals. The park’s Animal Rescue & Rehabilitation Team is on call 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. To date, SeaWorld has rescued more than 18,000 sick, injured or orphaned animals.

Video will be online shortly from the release...
MANATEE READY FOR RELEASE.jpg
MANATEE READY FOR RELEASE
Merritt Island, Fla. (August 26, 2010) An 8½-foot-long, 680-pound rehabilitated female manatee rests prior to her release by SeaWorld’s Rescue & Rehabilitation Team. The sea cow was observed floating high in the water in May but under SeaWorld’s care has fully recovered from injuries caused by watercraft. This is the second of two manatees that were returned to Florida waters this week. This year SeaWorld has rescued 24 manatees and returned 13.
SEAWORLD PREPARES MANATEE FOR RELEASE ON AUGUST 26, 2010.jpg
SEAWORLD PREPARES MANATEE FOR RELEASE ON AUGUST 26, 2010
Merritt Island, Fla. (August 26, 2010) The SeaWorld Rescue & Rehabilitation Team monitor a 8½-foot-long, 680-pound female manatee while a Florida Fish & Wildlife employee checks the animal’s passive integrated transponder, or “pit” tag, which allows researchers to identify the animal, prior to bidding her a bon voyage at KARS Park near Kennedy Space Center. This manatee is the second to be released by SeaWorld this week and the 13th in 2010. SeaWorld’s team also released a manatee in the same area on Tuesday, August 24.
FINAL HEALTH ASSESMENT PRIOR TO MANATEE RELEASE.jpg
FINAL HEALTH ASSESSMENT PRIOR TO MANATEE RELEASE
Merritt Island, Fla. (August 26, 2010) SeaWorld’s Animal Rescue & Rehabilitation Team complete the last evaluation of a sea cow’s health prior to releasing the 8½-foot-long, 680-pound female back to her natural habitat. She was rescued on May 17, 2010 after being observed floating high in the water. Suspecting an injury caused by a watercraft the animal was rescued and then rehabilitated at SeaWorld. This year SeaWorld has rescued 24 manatees and returned 13.
SEAWORLD RELEASES SECOND MANATEE THIS WEEK, 13TH FOR THE YEAR.jpg
SEAWORLD RELEASES SECOND MANATEE THIS WEEK, 13TH FOR THE YEAR
Merritt Island, Fla. (August 26, 2010) SeaWorld's Animal Rescue & Rehabilitation Team carefully place an 8½-foot-long, 680-pound manatee into the water at KARS Park near Kennedy Space Center. SeaWorld is a global leader in the rescue and rehabilitation of marine animals. The parks’ Animal Rescue & Rehabilitation Teams are on call 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. To date, SeaWorld has rescued more than 18,000 sick, injured or orphaned animals.
attc7a39.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby mousch » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:18 pm

For all the negative press surrounding Seaworld these past months,its good to see something positive. :b

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:18 pm

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_orlando/2010/09/discovery-cove-deal-includes-seaworld-admission-for-rest-of-2010.html

A new offer for Florida residents includes a day at Discovery Cove and then unlimited admission to SeaWorld Orlando theme park for the rest of the year.

Discovery Cove guests spend a day in a beach-lined tropical resort and have the opportunity to swim with a dolphin, snorkel with rays and hand-feed exotic birds. Packages include continental breakfast, lunch, snorkel equipment, wetsuits, towels, fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo rental, sunscreen plus snacks and beverages throughout the stay at the attraction.

Packages with 30-minute dolphin interactions start at $199. (There’s a non-dolphin option for $129.)

The deal will be offered through Dec. 25, 2010. The SeaWorld pass is activated upon check-in at Discovery Cove and good through Dec. 31, 2010.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!