PHOTO TR: G-Dog's Past Trip Photos

Old Geauga Lake photos - Page 6
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: PHOTO TR: G-Dog's Past Trip Photos

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:47 pm

bgwfreak777 wrote:I've seen that so many times and never really thought any thing of it. Didn't even think that there could've been a flume in there before.

That's funny because when I was there last week for the first time ever, that's the FIRST thing that crossed my mind. "Hm, I wonder if a flume ride was ever there?" :lol:

Cool pictures, especially because I was JUST at KD.
Total: 240 | Steel: 183 | Wooden: 57

Last Coaster Ridden: Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion on August 24, 2018.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Geauga Dog » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:20 pm

Next stop is my favorite Ohio park, Kings Island. These photos are from 1987 and 1991 respectively. I've also added a few extras to this update.
Eiffel Tower and Fountains.jpg
This view has now been ruined with the addition of three flagpoles right in front of the fountains. I was quite disappointed.
Vortex 1987.jpg
A brand spanking new Vortex debuts.
Vortex from Eiffel.jpg
The orange rails glistening in the sun.
Vortex Lift from Rivertown.jpg
First drop from the Beast area.
King Cobra from Eiffel.jpg
Now for a few defunct rides. King Cobra's first.
King Cobra Helix.jpg
King Cobra Loop.jpg
King Cobra Loop 1991.jpg
This photo is from 1991.
Screamin Demon.jpg
Screamin' Demon. I think it was just The Demon at this time. I'll never forget waiting on the stairs when the whole ride shook as the train returned to the station. A little unnerving for its time.
Skylab.jpg
Skylab. Never got to ride it during its short time at the park.
Skylab from Eiffel.jpg
Skylab from the Eiffel. The perfect ride at the perfect spot. I'd take this over the basketball game and Coca Cola Cool Zone that has since replaced it.
Beast Lift from Keelboat Canal.jpg
The Beast from Keelboat Canal's lift hill.
KI Oktoberfest.jpg
Quite a few defunct attractions in one shot. Skylab, Flying Dutchman, King Cobra and Der Spinnen Keggars.
Racer.jpg
Racer from Eiffel 87.jpg
Two things. 1. The Racer still somewhat sports the patriotic color scheme, which I wish it still had and 2. if you look closely the line for Vortex almost goes all the way down Coney Mall.
Wild Animal Habitat 1987.jpg
The former Wild Animal Habitat, now Action Zone. Screamin' Demon is in there somewhere.
Amazon Falls 1991.jpg
Amazon Falls and Wild Animal Habitat as seen in 1991.
Keelboat Canal from Eiffel.jpg
Keelboat Canal from the Eiffel. Replaced by Tomb Raider, which I liked. The Crypt is pure crap.
Kings Mill Flume Eiffel.jpg
Kings Mill Flume and Rivertown.
Eiffel from Rivertown.jpg
My favorite view of the Eiffel Tower from Rivertown. Now a giant snake has come and made itself a home here.
Eiffel Tower Winterfest.jpg
Winterfest 1987. The only time I ever visited this event. From what I remember it was quite nice.
Winterfest 1987.jpg
The decor near the skating rink.
1987 Winterfest Guide.jpg
Winterfest guide cover
1987 Park Guide Cover.jpg
1987 park guide cover
KI 1992 Map.JPG
BONUS: The 1992 souvenir map celebrating the park's 20th anniversary. Also the last map before Paramount. I would have scanned it but it's still in great condition and I didn't want to risk tearing it. Thanks for viewing.

Postby thrillrider » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:38 pm

Nice pictures. Brings back a lot of memories of the park.

I remember waiting in line for the demon as well. The whole staircase shook, and when the train was launched, it sounded like a loud fart...lol

I remember watching the safari ride, but I don't ever remember riding it. I could never figure out why they got rid of the sky lab ride, or the beer barrel ride. The sky lab was a great ride, and the barrels fit in perfectly in it's spot in octoberfest. I remember the sky commander ride(think that was the name) and the triple wheel as well.

I agree about tomb raider. If I were cederfair, I would be imbarased about the shape of the ride today.

I thought the park used to have a himalaya ride at one point. Anyone remember if they did?
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Planning on retiring to Radiator Springs

Postby Skramp » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:59 pm

^ Yes, they had a himalaya ride, or a bayern curve. I can't remember exactly where it was, but I want to say close to where King Kobra was. As far as Skylab, it was great and in a great location.

Flight Commader was awesome!! So much fun. If my memory is right, a drunk lady fell out and died on it the same day one or two other people fell into the lake by the beer gardens and got electrocuted.

Demon was great, except for the walk up the stairs. I remember thinking how cool it was at that time.

The Monorail ride was great, but was an upcharge. Nice to sit in AC for 30 mins or so and see some animals. They did a really god job of hiding the "caging" of the animals and looked liked they were just roaming around.

And the Zodiac (i think) was where the swings are now, I think.
Who was that again?

Postby ginzo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:19 pm

This was a great update! It really brought back some memories.
"There's nothing wrong with it. It just needs some tweaking,"

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby teebone » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:40 am

^^^ If I remember correctly,Skylab was removed due to ongoing mechanical issues.It was a Giant Enterprise and had a lot more issues than the standard model.I can't remember which year it was but the park dismantled the ride and sent it back to Huss for repair and it came back to the park a season later.
I do remember hearing that the final accident that caused it's removal was when the wheel stopped spinning when in a vertical position causing some injuries when the people were tossed around in the cars.I'm not completely sure about that last part but I did hear it from multiple friends that were working at the park.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Geauga Dog » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:14 pm

IIRC the Zodiac was further back along Coney Mall where Flight Commander eventually was built.

Skylab was a very cool looking Enterprise. I'd like to see a new Enterprise return to the park as I feel the park, Coney Mall in particular, could use more flats. If they could build a second suspended coaster I don't see why a second Enterprise couldn't be considered (maybe as part of a multiple flat ride package).

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Olsor » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:24 pm

Great stuff!

East Coast Wes don't smell, honest.

Postby bgwfreak777 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:55 pm

Great pics of Kings Island. I wish I could have visited back then.

It's cool to see a lot of the same defunct rides that were there, that were at Carowinds back then too.

Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:20 am

This is a great update and I really appreciate the shout out too. :) Thank you for that and some great pics of the park. If they haven't been added already, the DF pics would be great for the Theme Park Index.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive