Erik & Smisty's Florida Oddventures

Holy Land! - Page 114
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Erik & Smisty's Florida Oddventures

Postby Moose » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:11 am

Electerik wrote:Yes. Well, I think so anyway. The lady who worked there said that it goes all the way to the basement, and you can hear it "hit bottom." But we never actually *saw* anything, and it could quite easily be a deception.

I think a deception would be a lot more work. All this takes is a pvc pipe down to the basement, which would be a more convenient location to collect the money from as well.

The physics geek in me wants to know if you timed the coin.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby firstbase11897 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:23 am

Considering the fact that it went down a small pipe, timing the drop wouldn't be very accurate at all. Every time the coin would hit the wall of the pipe, significant deceleration would occur, meaning it would seem like the coin fell a greater distance than it actually did if you were to calculate using a basic kinematic equation.

Just a thought

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby disneymoc » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:36 am

firstbase11897 wrote:Considering the fact that it went down a small pipe, timing the drop wouldn't be very accurate at all. Every time the coin would hit the wall of the pipe, significant deceleration would occur, meaning it would seem like the coin fell a greater distance than it actually did if you were to calculate using a basic kinematic equation.

I use the basic kinematic equation everyday. Why didn't I think of that? It makes perfect sense now.

:?r

What I do and who I am

Postby pianojohn » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:02 am

I have not been up in the tower yet, but I DID record the cast CD for Halloween: The Musical in Clermont! So now it can be famous for three things! (maybe!)

But what about the creepy thing next door? Mystery Hill perhaps??

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby zztop » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:45 pm

there is another t-rex cafe located right near me in kansas city at the legends

Planning on retiring to Radiator Springs

Postby Skramp » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:00 pm

firstbase11897 wrote:Considering the fact that it went down a small pipe, timing the drop wouldn't be very accurate at all. Every time the coin would hit the wall of the pipe, significant deceleration would occur, meaning it would seem like the coin fell a greater distance than it actually did if you were to calculate using a basic kinematic equation.

Just a thought

I feel a slight bit smarter tonight for reading your post and somewhat understanding it!! =)
Who was that again?

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Tikifire Jones » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:54 pm

The Citrus Tower!!! I haven't been up in that thing since about 2003 or so and even then there were few citrus trees around it anymore. I do remember going up in it when I was a small kid (late 70's) and it was surrounded by the groves and it was awesome! You could even go up on the top level observation deck with just rails back then (my mom wouldn't let me go up on top with my dad because she was scared of heights). Last time I went that part was closed off. Still waiting to see your trip report from the neat place next door! :br

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Jakemeister » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:14 am

I've lived in Clermont for going on 4 years and I have no desire nor will I probably ever go to the Citrus Tower. To me it's just a landmark.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby aslinterpreter » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:39 pm

zztop wrote:there is another t-rex cafe located right near me in kansas city at the legends

I met the guy that owns the t-rex in KCK, nit sure if its the same guy that owns the one in Florida tho. When the Legends was getting ready to open, they hired my dad to install all the graphics for the area. T-rex was not ready to open yet, but Dave and Busters was. The Legends management decided to plaster the construction wall in front of T-Rex with D&B signs. While I was out there installing them, this tiny man runs out of the building in a three peice suit, and a T-Rex baseball cap on. He starts cussing and screaming at me for putting up the D&B signs in front of his store. It was very hard not to laugh at himas he stammered around in his Italian suit and baseball hat!

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:55 am

Okay, we've made you all wait long enough. It's time now for Clermont's other tourist attraction--an attraction which represents, in a very real sense, the reason that this thread exists in the first place. It is that epic.

An attraction known as...

The House of Presidents

...or, possibly...

The Presidents Hall of Fame

It's not really clear.
01P7238156.JPG
Almost literally in the shadow of the Citrus Tower.
03P7238187.jpg
No, really, it's world famous. We didn't know about it until we walked by, but still.
05IMGP5914.JPG
I could stare at this all day.
07P7238337.jpg
This "parade limo" was allegedly used by Presidents Nixon, Ford, and Carter.
09P7238194.JPG
Actually, Mr. President, Mount Rushmore was in National Treasure *2*. So there.
10P7238336.JPG
The Lincoln figure in the back is animatronic. Kind of. He moves around, and his lips move, but he doesn't actually say anything. I think it's an attempt at political humor.
12P7238202.JPG
The clear-as-mud pricing list.
15P7238210.JPG
You're given tokens, which you then take two feet from the desk and drop into the turnstile in order to gain entry.

Hey, I'm all for showmanship.
20P7238217.JPG
The first display once inside. If it seems a bit random, hold onto your hats.
22P7238215.JPG
A model of the construction of the White House.

I like the little black dude driving the carriage. Sure....
24P7238218.jpg
A photo of the guy who owns the place, along with his wife and President and Mrs. Ford.
26P7238220.JPG
I'm not sure if this display shows some political bias, or if it was just put up before the election actually took place.
30P7238212.JPG
I swear these photos are in order. The place is just like this.
34P7238228.JPG
Come sit on an American flag and watch George W. Bush try to complete a sentence. It'll be fun.

Note the restroom, back-left.
36P7238268.JPG
John McCain is watching you defecate.
38IMGP5890.JPG
This is just...wow.
40P7238232.JPG
Okay.
44IMGP5892.JPG
A "Believe It or Not!" display about the guy who owns the place. He apparently spent 20 years working on a highly-detailed model of the white house--which is not here.
46P7238238.JPG
Smisty, presidential china displays, and faceless first ladies.
48P7238242.JPG
Presidential Fact: Washington was so vain that he put his own face on the white house china. Fact.
50P7238254.JPG
43 presidents in wax. Also, Laura Bush (I guess). Black man gets a cardboard cut out.
52P7238258.JPG
I like the weak attempt to tie Mark Twain into the place. And also the Green Lantern symbol.

(Actually, that last one was my fault. But it's still cool.)
54P7238261.JPG
Hillary Clinton's first foray into government work.
56P7238267.JPG
An endless array of awesomeness.
58P7238270.JPG
Presidential Fact: Though it was often hidden from the public is his day, Thomas Jefferson was an incredibly tiny man. Small enough, in fact, that he frequently sat on book shelves unnoticed. Fact.
60P7238272.JPG
Recreations of each president's arrangement of the oval office. And also, a video of Reagan telling jokes.
62IMGP5900.jpg
This photo is not actually blurry. It is just being distorted by the raw power of PRESIDENT GREEN LANTERN.
63P7238278.JPG
The Presidential Bed--where all straight presidents up until Clinton were serviced by four presidential "hand maidens" who then got the F#$% out.
64P7238312.JPG
The President and The King. And then some guy named King. Whatever.
65P7238309.JPG
Well, I guess if Elvis and MLK can be in the Presidents Hall of Fame, so can H. Ross Perot.
66P7238283.JPG
Yes, you can even have your fortune read by George W. Bush. FOR FREE!!!
68P7238301.JPG
These cookies are old. I do not want old cookies.

Well...maybe just one.
70P7238305.JPG
"The Circus--True Americana!" Or, in other words: "Screw it, anything goes!"
72IMGP5909.JPG
Sure, why not?
75P7238307.JPG
This is, like, some kind of English birdhouse or something. But we've pretty much given up on the presidential thing at this point anyway, so who cares?
84P7238316.JPG
We, of course, exit back into the gift shop. Note the woodcarver sign behind Misty.
85P7238320.JPG
Ladies and gentlemen, the woodcarver.

I have no explanation.
90P7238327.JPG
Yes, it's a talking Woodrow Wilson action figure. And then some other stuff I can't even begin to make sense of.
91P7238318.JPG
"Bob Dole is not happy about being here. Bob Dole would like to go home now and watch Matlock."
92P7238329.JPG
...and we're still paying for it!
94P7238332.JPG
Ladies and gentlemen: President Al Jolson!
96P7238335.JPG
"The World's Smallest Curiosities of Americana" is going to be the name of my next band.
99P7238340.JPG
God, I freaking love this place!
Erik Allen Elness

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!