Erik & Smisty's Florida Oddventures

Holy Land! - Page 114
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Re: Erik & Smisty's Florida Oddventures

Postby Midgetman82 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:38 am

Electerik wrote:I feel I should say, my complaints are purely selfish. BGT never intended or advertised this area as anything more than a kiddie land. I just think that's pointlessly limiting. Gimme Camp Jurassic or If I Ran The Zoo at IOA any day..

Have you been to Jungala yet? You have to have someone under 15 years old with you to be able to ride the zip line ride; and the wait is always less than five minutes. Also there is an even bigger play net area there with the same rules as the play net in Sesame Street Place. The place was built for kids, but it too has one ride that adults can ride as well, The Wild Surge (Moser Bounce Ride); I like that ride.
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby moinab » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:01 am

As a parent of 3 young kids, I totally agree with your comments about the kiddie area. I hate kiddie areas! Yes, please, make me stand around, bored out of my mind, while the kids go on rides that I am not allowed to go on (nor have any desire to!) :roll:

The best family park scenario has lots of rides that the whole family can enjoy, together, with maybe a few kiddie rides sprinkled throughout, preferably next to the thrill rides with height restrictions, so the parents can take turns, and the kids don't get antsy, waiting.

Is anybody listening? Is this thing on? :p

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:09 am

The T-Rex Cafe at Downtown Disney is a dinosaur-themed spin-off of The Rainforest Cafe. To say that the two are similar is, I think, an understatement. Essentially, they are the same--just with a slightly different menu, dinosaurs instead of jungle animals, and an extinction level event occurring every fifteen minutes instead of a thunderstorm.

They're both fun, overpriced experiences--but you could probably get away with just doing one. Which one? Well, Misty slightly prefers T-Rex for the food selection, whereas I slightly prefer Rainforest due to the more varied decor. Or, you could choose this way: There are Rainforest Cafes all over the world, but, so far as I know, there's only one T-Rex Cafe.
02P4110557.jpg
A rare shot of the T-Rex Cafe not swarmed with people. Must have just opened for the day.
10P2215207.jpg
The bar area.
15P2215231.jpg
Like at Rainforest, there are various differently themed seating areas.
32IMGP1091.JPG
I'm not sure what this face means. "Yay, I'm at T-Rex Cafe"? Or perhaps, "Hurry up, I'm hungry!"
52P2215228.jpg
Misty got whatever kind of wussy stuff this is.
54P2215229.jpg
While I choose the manliest meal possible.
58P2215224.jpg
Of course, we also had to have dessert. This is called "Ice Age Indulgence."
60P2215223.JPG
Smisty went with "Meteor Bites" (which I'm pretty sure is the real reason she prefers T-Rex to Rainforest).
65P2215209.JPG
Time to go exploring. Here's the ice age room.
68P2215235.JPG
THE KITCHEN OF FIRE!!!

Didn't see any actual cooking being done there, though.
70P2215230.JPG
Yay, the bathroom! Can you guess what the ladies' is called??
80P2215236.JPG
There is, of course, a gift shop.
89P2215242.JPG
Build-a-dino, split a geode, that kind of thing.
90P2215239.JPG
This photo is basically just here for the "glad you saurus" sign.
95P2215243.jpg
Attached to the gift shop, but slightly outside, is this archeological dig play area thingy.
98P2114022.jpg
The T-Rex Cafe, at Downtown Disney. An awesome place to eat--if you're a little kid with a lot of money.
Erik Allen Elness

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby triggernel » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:17 am

What do you mean by varied interior? I thought this place had a lot of different looks going on inside.

Great update as always!
Snoochie Boochie

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:31 am

I *MUCH* prefer T-Rex to Rainforest.

I like the food a lot better, the theme better, and did I mention the food again!?!? Seriously, fun restaurant and we have added it to our normal Florida restaurant rotation.

The 'event' every 15 minutes is too loud, but that's just me being old and complaining I suppose.

I thought at one point that there was one other T-Rex Location, I want to say in someplace odd like Kansas City or something?

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:41 am

T-Rex blows Rainforest out of the water. The food is SO much better. Plus, you know, dinosaurs.

The only way it would be better is if they added Dinoshark to one of the themed rooms...

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Guaranteed Fresh or Your Money Back!

Postby dandaman » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:28 am

Yeah, apparently the only other location is in Kansas City. http://www.trexcafe.com/Main/Findus.html

Went there last year and had my first-ever chicken-fried steak, which was fantastic. T-Rex gets the edge over Rainforest for me as well.

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:47 pm

Wow, lots of love for T-Rex!

triggernel wrote:What do you mean by varied interior? I thought this place had a lot of different looks going on inside.

I think I meant all the different animals, as opposed to just dinosaurs.

Oh, and good to know there's another T-Rex Cafe. Thanks, dandaman!
Erik Allen Elness

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:15 am

About 25 miles west of Orlando is the city of Clermont, which has exactly two tourist attractions. Here's the one you might have heard of.

No, it doesn't look like citrus--and no, you can't see any citrus from it. For that matter, you can't even buy any there. Nevertheless, it is...The Citrus Tower!
01P7238118.JPG
The tower is 226-feet tall, but honestly doesn't seem all that big in person.
02P7238119.JPG
This photo becomes much funnier once you know that the tower entrance is to the right.
04IMGP5835.JPG
The Citrus Tower was built in 1956 to give visitors a panoramic view of the area's copious orange groves (which no longer exist).
06P7238121.JPG
"...that you are not invited to."
07IMGP5837.JPG
High quality models on display on the ground level.
08P7238124.JPG
To get to the top, you enter and exit through the gift shop.
10P7238183.JPG
Here's a look inside the gift shop, which features standard gift shop crap.
15P7238136.JPG
Hours and prices, for those who care about such things.
18P7238137.JPG
Smisty, waiting for the elevator.
25P7238139.jpg
The inside of the elevator door is chock-full of useful Citrus Tower information.
30P7238145.JPG
The observation deck. You can stay as long as you like. However, there is no air conditioning up here. And it's glass-enclosed. And did I mention, Florida?
41P7238152.JPG
"Cypress Gardens"?
43IMGP5854.JPG
The city of Clermont, in all its glory.
46P7238165.JPG
Orange trees, as far as the eye can see!

(Really, a better name would be "The Scurvy Tower.")
60P7238168.JPG
The coolest, goofiest thing here. Drop a coin all the way down the tower. Or so we claim. No, you can't see it. But you can listen to it!
62P7238176.JPG
Ooh, there's a Friendly's!
65IMGP5871.jpg
I push the button.
70P7238125.JPG
And back down to the gift shop.

The Citrus Tower isn't bad, just kind of pointless. And also, it robbed me of my ability to write funny captions. Curse you, Florida Citrus Tower!
Erik Allen Elness

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby disneyfan1313 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:18 am

I really am shocked that the citrus tower is still there! I last went up it 10 years ago or so and back then it *was* still surrounded by citrus groves! Clermont really only "expanded" within the past 6 years or so. I won't ruin the surprise by saying what it is, but please tell me you visited the uuber creepy thing next door!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!