TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

Seriously? How could the smell of urine possibly be a good feature to include in this maze?

Ugh...

I actually like when haunts use gross, yet familiar smells. HHN has used poo and vomit smells in past houses and it seemed effective at disturbing people. It can add a sense a realism to a house if it is done right and not over used.

Ewww....Now I'm not going into haunted houses at HHN now. Thanks for telling me this detail

Now, this whole bodily fluid discussion, has me looking different at well-known haunted houses.

(Off-Topic: 1001th POST! WOO! )

Seriously? How could the smell of urine possibly be a good feature to include in this maze?

Ugh...

I actually like when haunts use gross, yet familiar smells. HHN has used poo and vomit smells in past houses and it seemed effective at disturbing people. It can add a sense a realism to a house if it is done right and not over used.

In House Of Horrors at Universal, the scene with "Mrs Bates" had a distinct urine smell too.

An interesting promotion to say the least.

What's really scary about it though is ever since I heard about it, I've been thinking, "I wonder if this pee would be smelly enough to win" everytime I go to the bathroom. That's just not normal.

And BTW, somebody needs to tell R Kelly about this contest.

What the hell is up with British theme park promos?? This is probably the strangest one yet.

Being a fan of the Saw series, (especially #6, and the maze here at USH) I'm glad to see a permanent installation. From what I can see in the photos, the props look very authentic. Well done Thorpe!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2887439/Fury-as-theme-parks-horrifying-Saw-ride-is-open-to-children.html

Thorpe Park promises an "atmosphere of terror" by recreating scary moments from the 18-certificate horror movie series SAW.

Punters will enter a maze where actors stage scenes in which a man appears to saw off his foot, another has his stomach sliced open, and a manacled woman hangs from a ceiling. Others have their eyes and mouths "sewn up". The park in Chertsey, Surrey, will merely advise that the sights may not be suitable for under 12s.

Clinical psychologist Dr Angela Wright warned violent films can cause aggression in children. She added: "The link may be stronger with this interactive experience."

Thorpe Park's Mike Vallis said: "Guests want us to thrill and excite them."

The above link also includes some more photos of the new attraction.

I was at opening day today and I chickened out on Saw Alive I will admit. I may go for it tomorrow on my way back from Legolands Annual Pass Day tomorrow. Expect lots of photos, video from Thorpe, Legoland, Blackpool and Chessington very soon.

The reviews I have heard at park today were very mixed. Some said it was very good and scary, others said it sucked and was rubbish. I guess I will have to risk it tomorrow and find out for myself.

-Craig

I guess I will have to risk it tomorrow and find out for myself.

Definitely go for it, on the two times we went through there were no real scares, the actors in there were great as the victims, but as for "jumpy" moments there weren't any.

Okay so I didnt go on it today mostly because im not one to wait for half an hour to soil myself! Im sure I will at some point in the future though.

Anyway onto area photos.

Image00024.jpg.3331f956b7ccb3e8a56d7c7a9428f85a.jpg

Can you guess what this attraction is called?

Image00023.thumb.jpg.cc7af74e3fa8b8b2154476feca2d9aae.jpg

This is for some Larry satisfaction!

Image00013.jpg.88891ea1450b93cb5b1808ef6346f43b.jpg

Yes you are seeing that correctly. Saw Alive has Fastrack!

DSC02233.thumb.JPG.71c27d72d7ed67c4a7bd1360ae6c9b27.JPG

Doesnt it look pretty, in a sort of warehouse/rustic kind of way

DSC02226.thumb.JPG.bec57940830883478145414f4ff91694.JPG

The boat isnt going anywhere now!

Image00020.jpg.c6739ccbb20254423cb2d48ed8a93fb4.jpg

I didnt quite understand the point of this theming.

Image00019.jpg.0835a5d5b0aae03056bc4af72f506670.jpg

I will leave you with a photo of Saw Alive rear end, or is it the front? Who knows!

• 3 weeks later...

So I managed to find some time to head on down to Thorpe Park yesterday and managed a go on Saw:Alive. Overall, I was highly impressed with the themeing throughout the maze. The bathroom looked like it was lifted straight out the film and the urine smell was a nice(!) addition. All of the traps in the maze were as honest to the film as possible, the last scene from saw 6 was probably my favourite (merry go round with guns attached). The only problem I had with the maze was, well, it wasn't terrifying. It wasn't even scary. The actors in the traps did their best to try and achieve scares, but there wasn't much they could do apart from scream once or twice. Only encountered one actor in the infamous pig mask.. and they just stood there as you walked past. Didn't jump put from a dark corner or anything.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice addition, but I think it has been marketed wrong. It's more of a themed walkthrough than a live action horror maze. Maybe It was just a case of bad timing with lack of actors, will have to make a trip back again during Halloween to see if it has improved!

• 3 weeks later...

Load of tosh! Thought it was pretty disappointing to be honest, for those that have been the fright night events are much better. Mind you the ride saw is not all it's hyped up to be. Personal choice I know but I find the likes of stealth and nemesis far more thrilling. The whole saw alive theme is a great marketing strategy but is a bit lame. The maze element is a cheap way of providing more thrills for punters after waiting in yet another 3 hour queue. The maze would be much better if it was tagged directly on the front of saw the ride so the maze flowed into the ride.

Thorpe is a victim of it's own success and becoming increasingly difficult to find a day when it's not inundated by screaming little chavs. I usually book a day off with my wife, out of school holidays! Typically though like yesterday it was a bl***y teacher training day so full of chavs again!

• 2 months later...

http://egham.stainesnews.co.uk/2010/06/thorpe-park-plans-new-rollerco.html

Two new rollercoasters could be built at Thorpe Park in the next six years as part of a new development plan.

Thorpe Park Operations Ltd has submitted an outline planning application to Runnymede Borough Council for the proposals, which form part of the Theme Park's Medium Term Development plan for 2010 until 2016.

The plans include the installation of five new 'round rides' which could be up 25m tall, as well as two new rollercoasters, one which could be upto 40m tall, the other upto 50m tall - currently the park's flagship ride, the huge white Stealth rollercoaster, is 62.5m tall and can be seen several miles away.

Extra buildings of upto 5,000sqm are also included in the plans, along with a recycling facility, new island bridge links, supplementary car park lighting and upgrades to the theme park admissions.

To video the planning application click here

Edited by StealthFan