TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Now ALL wooden coasters are the ONLY wooden coasters which do not have a loop!

Thank you for sharing this pithy observation. We are all the only ones richer for it.

Ding dong the (son of a) bitch is dead!

Absolutely epic

I have mixed reactions to this. While I want to ride Son of Beast and it will be lurking there not running while I'm there this summer, I'm kind of glad that I won't have to subject myself to it for the credit. So I wanna ride it just to say I've ridden it but I don't want the awful experience.

^ We can only hope it gets there ASAP.

Kind of sad about missing the credit, but SoB was a freaking disaster. Two accidents within three years, not to mention the pain and suffering it dished out for the 9.5 years it operated. I'm just hoping they'll put a sick coaster in it's place.

Now that Cedar Fair have moved on past the sale, I believe we'll see more and more improvements/changes happening at a faster rate company-wide... with the big things being Son of Beasts fate and the future of Great America.

Too bad they couldn't have held onto Geauga Lake... that really hurt me.

^ We can only hope it gets there ASAP.

Kind of sad about missing the credit, but SoB was a freaking disaster. Two accidents within three years, not to mention the pain and suffering it dished out for the 9.5 years it operated. I'm just hoping they'll put a sick coaster in it's place.

If there were a way I could give you my credit, I'd gladly hand it over.

I missed Son on Beast by less than week when I went to KI last year, and while I thought it would be interesting to ride, it wasn't a huge deal. I'm so glad that this is probably it for this ride, even though it is a missed credit, because it's just caused the park so much trouble and re-theming or re-tracking it just won't help the bad image it has gotten. I don't even know why it has lasted this long...

While I'm glad I got to experience Son of Beast before it got the axe, I do feel that Kings Island will be a lot better off without it considering the trouble it's given them. R.I.P Son of Beast. Now you will burn in the fireplaces of many american homes as firewood.

As much as most of us want to see SOB burn, you can't burn pressure treated lumber without creating a toxic cloud.

CCA wood - also called pressure treated wood - is the green-tinged lumber sold in almost every home center and lumberyard in America. It has the indisputable benefit of being highly resistant to rot and insects. The lumber is treated with a pressurized solution containing Copper, Chromates and Arsenic, hence the name CCA lumber. It is sometimes sold under the brand name "Wolmanized" Lumber.

Soft wood is injected with an aqueous solution of Copper, Chromate and Arsenic under pressure. The arsenic is chemically bound in the wood by the chromate, and the copper gives it that slight greenish tint. The solution is water based, which is why the wood often feels damp at the lumberyard.

CCA treatment leaves about one ounce of inorganic arsenic in each 12 foot 2 x 6. This is enough arsenic, if released, to kill about 250 adults.

Burning CCA wood releases the chemical bond holding Arsenic in the wood, and just one Tablespoon of ash from a CCA wood fire contains a lethal dose of Arsenic.

http://www.origen.net/ccawood.html

I have a question for the people who rode SOB in its first year of operation. Was it always a terrible ride? Did you get off the ride the first time and immediately come to that conclusion or was it kind of average and deteriorate over time?

Just curious.

I rode it about a week after it opened in 2000. Not a terrible ride, but WAY to fast for a wood coaster to travel with the track and cars it had. Also, the original trains felt very claustrophobic.

I rode it again in 2005 and found it horrible. The trains felt like it was banging on the track, jack hammering basically. I also rode in on July 3, 2006, 6 days before the "incident." It had only gotten rougher and more un-rideable.

I will be GLAD to see this piece of crap go.

751679712_JuneJuly2005898(Medium)(Small).jpg.7cc2db0843c5b78950c1e9981d52b62e.jpg

Ah.....little did I know the pain soon to be inflicted!

The main problem with this is this is gonna mess with the mind of the GP! SOB is right at the front of the park. If Beast was closed like this, excluding the fact that it's world famous, it's closure would not phase the GP too much due to Beast being at the back of the park. For example, Twisted Twins, and Drachen Fire. Both at the back of the park where you can fool the GP into thinking nothing is there. SOB is a HUGE 218 ft. mound of wood (or some would say crap) sitting at the front of the park! KI can't just throw a blanket over something that huge and pretend like it doesn't exist!

^Eh, it's not going to be all that different than it has been for the last few years. KI's customers are already accustomed to SOB being idle. It'll come down, but maybe not right away. Demolition as well as disposal of all that pressure treated lumber will not be cheap. I'll certainly understand if they don't have the budget for that this year.

I really hope CF is giving SOB just a few seasons off and waiting to see what happens with the Texas Giant. If that coaster can be saved so can this one, and they can put the loop back in. If disposing of the lumber used to build the coaster is so expensive (as stated in an earlier post) then you add in the cost of demolishing it and building something new in a few years I really think it should be cheaper to keep it and just re-track it. The bad PR can be overcame with clever advertising and word of mouth.

If (or more likely, when) it reaches it's demolition process it will surely change the KI skyline for me. I'd almost keep it for the sake of filling the giant-A$$ gap it will leave in the KI skyline.

More room to build a meaningful coaster (maybe two), that are fun to ride. Please CF! Get GG, GCI, or Intamin on the line so we can have a woodie worthy of praise!

I seriously don't know, but would it be possible to reuse any of the lumber from SOB in the building of a new coaster?

Has anyone confirmed SOB's removal yet?! all we know is the crate's been removed and the line's been fenced off! They prolly fenced off the line to keep people from mucking about where they aren't supposed to be!

Removing that huge sign seems like a lot of trouble to go to if they were planning to bring SoB back--especially when all they had to do was chain off or otherwise block access to the queue. We shall see.

Has anyone confirmed SOB's removal yet?! all we know is the crate's been removed and the line's been fenced off! They prolly fenced off the line to keep people from mucking about where they aren't supposed to be!

Removing that huge sign seems like a lot of trouble to go to if they were planning to bring SoB back--especially when all they had to do was chain off or otherwise block access to the queue. We shall see.

Chuck's right. SOB's been chained off for the past few years. Nothing has been said, but actions are louder than words!

This certainly doesn't surprise me but I feel like a special person for now having ridden 2 defunct coasters since I started my craze 2 years ago. First "Big Bad Wolf" going away and now this though this surprises me a lot less. I waited over an hour to ride "Son of Beast" and I felt like it was a huge waste of time for a credit. Though the fact it's going away or went away shortly after I rode it(the major incident shutting it down happened a few weeks after I was there) now at least I don't feel I wasted my time since I got a defunct credit out of it instead of a sad memory of waiting an hour to ride a crappy coaster.