Erik & Smisty's Florida Oddventures

Holy Land! - Page 114
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Permanent Tourist

Re: Erik & Smisty's Florida Oddventures

Postby Electerik » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:39 pm

astro wrote:Great TR! I like the hippos fighting. Did you happen to see the bats? Those things are crazy looking. Anyway, thanks for posting! Keep it coming!

Thanks! The bats are in Asia, though. (Which is why they were not featured in this update. See below.)

Disney Freak Andrew wrote:I hate to disagree with such an AMAZING post, however, I fail to see the 40% of Animal kingdom that is not themed extremely well, all I saw was that crappy area behind the Zambezi traders.

This update dealt only with the Africa section of the park, whereas my 60/40 split referred to the entirety of Animal Kingdom:

Africa's theming = great
Asia's theming = great
Discovery Island's theming = amazing
Camp Minnie-Mickey = weak
Rafiki's Planet Watch = pathetic
DinoLand, USA = 50/50

Yes, Chester & Hester's Dino-Rama does a great job of "transporting you" to a cheesy carnival erected in a parking lot. But...well, read the sentence again.

Wumbology wrote:People that think it isn't well-themed really just don't like the theming, I think.

You make a interesting point. On the other hand, if the theming completely loses you (and it does me), can it really be considered "good"?

So, again, while sections of Animal Kingdom are undeniably beautiful--as a whole, it feels a bit slipshod to me. Tarzan/Nemo in DinoLand? Festival of the Lion King not in Africa?? Those are some pretty big theming breaches for such a new (Disney) park.

Nevertheless, I have to admit that I rather like Animal Kingdom--almost despite myself. While there isn't a ton of stuff to do, what is there is very well balanced: a big coaster, a small coaster, a dark ride, a jeep ride, a rapids ride, a 4-D attraction, a circular ride, two big shows, two animal-viewing walking trails, a couple of full-service restaurants, and some absolutely gorgeous vistas. (Now if we could just get our transportation ride back.... :p )
Erik Allen Elness

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby Wumbology » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:44 pm

PriestofSyrinx wrote:The tacky tourist trap area at AK is PURPOSELY themed to be quite tacky! I read somewhere when they brought up the question why did Disney just build a coaster? The Imaggineer replied, It was really hard for us not to make it look good!

Exactly. And I think you're thinking of The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World, those little "Disney Dish with Jim Hill" boxes under some attractions? I think in one of them he said something like that.

Ooh, and Erik, you forgot to mention the Oasis. The Oasis is a fantastic example of great Imagineering and immersion, by Joe Rohde. The parking lot of DAK is purposefully meant to be hot and unforgiving, so when you enter the park through the cool, green and lush Oasis, you slow down and start preparing yourself for the kind of experience you're in for when you reach the actual park. Then, you come up the bridge and you have the reveal of the Tree of Life.

It's a lot more dramatic when people aren't all rushing straight up the hill.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby moinab » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:18 pm

We love AK, in spite of it's flaws. I do agree that Rafiki's Planet Watch is completely pathetic and poorly executed. :?r

I don't buy that the parking lot is intentionally "hot and unforgiving," though, as it is pretty much identical to every other parking lot in WDW. :roll:

Spills and Fails, daily.

Postby themeparkologist » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:43 pm

Wait!!! Rafiki's Planet Watch has THEMING!!!!?????? When did that happen? It certainly had none in 2007 when I went.
Some people are like slinkies. They aren't really good for much but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby Hotlanta » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:05 pm

I haven't yet replied in the Florida thread so, kudos to you guys for keeping us all updated through your adventures. You capture the little things that most other people including me just gloss over or just plain don't see. I was at AK six months ago and i still found a bunch of new stuff in your update. Keep it going guys.

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:32 pm

Wumbology wrote:Ooh, and Erik, you forgot to mention the Oasis. The Oasis is a fantastic example of great Imagineering and immersion, by Joe Rohde. The parking lot of DAK is purposefully meant to be hot and unforgiving, so when you enter the park through the cool, green and lush Oasis, you slow down and start preparing yourself for the kind of experience you're in for when you reach the actual park. Then, you come up the bridge and you have the reveal of the Tree of Life.

I didn't really forget. I just didn't mention Oasis because it's so different that's it's hard to compare it to the other areas, seeing as how it contains no attractions, shops, or eateries. I agree that it's very nice, though.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to go with Mo on your parking lot statement, though. Fan boy! ;)
Erik Allen Elness

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:14 pm

moinab wrote:I don't buy that the parking lot is intentionally "hot and unforgiving," though, as it is pretty much identical to every other parking lot in WDW. :roll:

No really, Disney was planning an air conditioned parking lot until one of the Imagineers mentioned that a hot and unforgiving parking lot would better fit the Animal Kingdom. Sorry I can't reveal my sources.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby WFChris » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:53 pm

I really like your new format of showcasing specific segments of (for now) the Disney parks. Really in depth and fun to read, as always:)

Chris.

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:18 pm

Dinosaur World is located in Plant City, Florida, adjacent to Interstate 4. This means that you drive by it between Orlando and Tampa. Which sounds like an ideal location--except that you probably have a reason that you're driving to Tampa or Orlando, and you probably can't spare the time for Dinosaur World.

But we did. =)
02IMGP2400.JPG
Such a momentous occasion deserves momentous idiocy.
05P3198998.JPG
The red dudes coming out of the eggs are trash cans.
06P3198999.JPG
A series of bridges connect the parking lot to the main entrance.
08IMGP2411.JPG
Already, it is clear that we are in the presence of greatness.
10P3199236.JPG
You enter and exit the attraction through the gift shop. The price is $12.95 per person, for adults.
12IMGP2416.jpg
Check out this awesome attraction map, Xeroxed on actual paper.
15IMGP2460.JPG
Dinosaur World consists largely of life-sized static figures of (duh) dinosaurs.
17IMGP2426.JPG
Some of which are incredibly realistic.
18IMGP2429.JPG
Yes, it's the mighty slugosaurus, which literally swam on top of the water! Amazing!
20P3199028.JPG
Okay, now they're just messing with us.
22P3199050.jpg
I would like to take a moment to point out that no one really knows what color dinosaurs actually were. Therefore, obviously, at least some of them could have been bright red and yellow.
24IMGP2443.jpg
"I was black as your death, you fudging assclowns!"
27P3199094.jpg
These Canadian dinosaurs were sad and stupid.
38P3199099.JPG
"Should we eat her?" - "Dude, we're herbivores!" - "Really?" - "I dunno. Maybe."
40P3199113.JPG
This area is known as "the museum."
42P3199216.JPG
Now, normally, I don't take pictures of restrooms. Or, at least, I don't post them in these updates. But, come on, just look at those urinals!
44P3199220.jpg
"After inserting a bill, wait until the machine no longer makes the grinding noise before you make your selection."
46IMGP2490.JPG
"I want to get a vending machine with fun-sized candy bars, and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late." -Mitch Hedberg
51P3199013.JPG
Fossil Dig was not open while we were there. Dang it!
53P3199223.JPG
Oh well. At least we got to play on the slides.
62P3199129.jpg
And now, kids, it's time for "Touch and Tell!" (Just don't tell your parents!)

Put your hand in the hole, feel around for a while, and then describe what it is that you think you're touching!
63P3199130.JPG
"Why, it's a tiny plastic dino! Now this next one requires us to go around behind the building...."
64P.JPG
Ladies and gentlemen, I must apologize for the previous two captions--which were, obviously, in very poor taste.
65P3199138.JPG
Yes, it's the boneyard...!

Ah, forget it.
73IMGP2486.JPG
Torosaurus: a seperate animal, or just some kind of weird Triceratops? Discuss.
74P3199153.JPG
Yes, come to Dinosaur World, where you can sit on an uncomfortable bench and watch TV. That make sense, right?
77P3199160.JPG
Next up, the Skeleton Garden. With music by Oingo Boingo! (Well, not really. But that would be awesome!)
79P3199167.JPG
I thought this was a nice addition to the full figures, and made the attraction as a whole feel more complete.

Penis.
86IMGP2504.JPG
"Too graphic"? Let's go!
88P3199188.JPG
Duuuude....
89IMGP2517.JPG
Even blue and red, these guys look pretty bad-ass.
91P3199199.JPG
Wait...is that a herbivore attacking and eating a raptor? What the...? Cut!
92IMGP2454.JPG
I have no idea what that means.
93IMGP2528.JPG
Oh, okay. It means, "More violent dino attacks!"
94aP3199096.JPG
And now back to the big boring dinosaurs that don't rip each other in half.
94eP3199185.JPG
Let's read that first sentence together: "This is the largest of the dinosaurs which some people guess may have butted heads although scientists never found any evidence that they did." Okay then.
94fP3199117.jpg
This little guy is deadkennedysasaurus, though some people guess that he actually preferred Minor Threat and didn't really mind the suburbs but maybe not.
94gP3199213.JPG
Oh. Well, I guess that's it.
95P3199231.JPG
And now, a crooked picture of the exit.
98P3199241b.jpg
Dinosaur World. I was not drunk while performing this update. And also we enjoyed it.
Last edited by Electerik on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:18 pm.
Erik Allen Elness

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:31 pm

I have easily past this attraction over 100 times and never stopped. I gotta say, I'm still not convinced!

As for the dinosaur crazy colors, apparently there has been more research lately and they think that dinosaurs did have some more interesting colors and patterns than our generation was taught as children!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!