Erik & Smisty's Florida Oddventures

Holy Land! - Page 114
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Permanent Tourist

Re: Erik & Smisty's Florida Oddventures

Postby Electerik » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:39 pm

About two hours north of Orlando lies St. Augustine, which bills itself as "America's oldest city." (It's an appropriate slogan: If Orlando is for young families, then surely St. Augustine is for seniors.) The Spanish settled here 1565, and in 1695, they finished construction of a stone fort they named Castillo de San Marcos.
01P2012134.JPG
Credit where it's due: St. Augustine has a very attractive parking garage.
03P1312130.JPG
Inside the city's welcome center.
05P2012138.JPG
St. Augustine's pedestrian-oriented historic downtown area features lots of little shops and restaurants.
06IMGP0376.JPG
These sight-seeing tram things are a big deal here, despite the fact that most of the area is relatively easy to cover on foot.
07P2012144.jpg
The downtown area also has some weird little attractions like this one. (We didn't do it. Maybe next time.)
13IMGP0455.jpg
The remnants of the old city gates still stand.
20P2012163.jpg
And nearby, the real focus of this update: Castillo de San Marcos.
24P2012165.jpg
Never let it be said that this thread is not educational.
25P2012234.jpg
The ticket booth is the small, non-stone building on the left. Cost is a very reasonable $4.00 for adults, with children (13 and under) free.
28P2012216.JPG
Coming in through the large square opening behind the two randoms, the stairs to the upper level are immediately to your right.
33IMGP0420.JPG
If you like old, non-functioning cannons, you owe it to yourself to come here!
35P2012198.JPG
You may fire when ready, commander!
36P2012232.JPG
Smisty, modeling this millennium's hottest new sentry-wear.
37P2012207.JPG
And down there is the old Spanish pizza oven.
41P2012220.JPG
Bowling was the primary pastime back then. (Surely you have heard of the Spaniards' most famous player, The Jesus?)
45IMGP0436.jpg
Back down in the courtyard, I am arrested for that pizza oven joke.
46P2012242.JPG
Where those guys sleep. Each bunk held two men. So either they were gay, or they didn't just assume that everything that involves two men touching each other was automatically gay, like we do now. Hard to say.
47P2012176.JPG
The latrines. No, really.
53P2012183.jpg
This area is where they kept the artillery, or something.
59P2012245.jpg
This is the "models and broken cannons" room. Interestingly enough, inside the model of the fort is another smaller model of it.
60P2012252.JPG
Sure...but when I say, "Please touch," does she do it? No!
61P2012181.JPG
My camera is really good at making it look like it's The Rapture outside.
62P2012187.JPG
Let's see what our buddies are up to. Looks like a duel. Awesome. Let's move on.
63P2012256.JPG
There are no refreshments in the fort, but there is one small gift shop. How small? So small I could get a fudging photo of it not crammed with people! Not that I'm bitter or anything.
65P2012173.JPG
Time to head out. Wouldn't want to miss The Rapture!
P2012259.jpg
Castillo de San Marcos, St. Augustine, Florida. Worth $4.00.
Erik Allen Elness

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby triggernel » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:06 pm

I love the anticipation of waiting to find out where the next update will take place. You never know whats gonna happen next.
Snoochie Boochie

The woman with a million questions

Postby Crazy_Behemoth_Lady_Jess » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:15 pm

That fort kinda reminds me of Fort Point in San Francisco. Were they built for the same war? (I don't know much about American history).

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby disneyfan1313 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:40 pm

The fort is fun! It's been a few years since we have been to St. Augustine but it was kinda fun. I was surprised how "down-market" so many of the tourist attractions were. Did a lot of it still feel kinda run down?

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:04 am

Isn't there some "pirate festival" in St. Augustine each year? The old town is like walking on the set of a pirate movie.

Cubs/Colts Fan

Postby spaceace12 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:23 am

Erik, I request a Gatorland TR.

BTW, great thread so far. Enjoyed the other thread as well. Shared it with a friend who was down there last year.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby whorabunny » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:29 am

Yeah theres one in November called Saint Arrrgustine Pirate Gathering. Actually every single month theres some sort of pirate festival going on somewhere in Florida.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:38 pm

Crazy_Behemoth_Lady_Jess wrote:That fort kinda reminds me of Fort Point in San Francisco. Were they built for the same war? (I don't know much about American history).

Forts generally weren't built in times of war, they were built to protect in area in case war was to break out in the future. Since the Spanish colonized Florida earlier than California, San Marcos is older. Since both areas were colonized by the Spanish (probably within 100 years of each other)the style of the forts should be similar.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:17 pm

triggernel wrote:I love the anticipation of waiting to find out where the next update will take place. You never know whats gonna happen next.

Cool. At one point, I was toying with the idea of announcing what the next update would be at the end of each one. Sort of a cheesy 'James Bond will return in: Live And Let Die' kind of thing. But then I thought, maybe it's better to not know. Which is one of the reasons I'm now taking an even more random approach, as compared to the Smoky Mountains thread.

disneyfan1313 wrote:It's been a few years since we have been to St. Augustine but it was kinda fun. I was surprised how "down-market" so many of the tourist attractions were. Did a lot of it still feel kinda run down?

No. I mean, we had not been previously, but that's not the way it struck me at all. I will say that it seemed like there was almost nothing but couples there, which I thought was interesting. But it didn't seem run down.

cfc wrote:Isn't there some "pirate festival" in St. Augustine each year? The old town is like walking on the set of a pirate movie.

Actually, I was hoping for more pirate stuff! There was a pirate ship you can sail on, but it was closed when we there. And the local Ripley's Museum did have a special pirate exhibit. (The same one that used to be at Ripley's Aquarium in Gatlinburg, perhaps?) But other than that, I didn't see much.

spaceace12 wrote:Erik, I request a Gatorland TR.

And you shall have one! I just don't know when yet. ;)
Erik Allen Elness

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Today's update is somewhat unique, and calls for a different kind of introduction. This, as you may recognize, is a McDonald’s. And just why, exactly, are we at McDonald’s? For the answer to that, we must first look to Twitter, where two connected conversations recently took place, between myself and Theme Park Review's official Twitter Monkeys.

ThemeParkReview What. RT @TacoBell: New Pacific Shrimp Tacos: Succulent shrimp marinated in spices, lettuce, salsa & avocado ranch sauce

Electerik @ThemeParkReview Cod would be better. Fish tacos rule. Hopefully, this is nation-wide?

ThemeParkReview @Electerik I'm not going to tell you. Nobody should eat this and you should be ashamed.

Electerik @ThemeParkReview And here I thought TPR Headquarters was in California.... Wuss.

Electerik Hey, @ThemeParkReview: Check out what I had for dinner. http://twitpic.com/16nv9y

Electerik Ladies and gentlemen, the wait is over. Erik & Smisty's Florida Oddventures: http://tinyurl.com/y9evumo

ThemeParkReview I don't support this. RT @Electerik: Ladies and gentlemen, the wait is over. Erik & Smisty's Florida Oddventures: http://tinyurl.com/y9evumo

Electerik @ThemeParkReview Is it because of the shrimp tacos? I can do a McDonalds TR, if that'll make it up to you.

ThemeParkReview This is acceptable RT @Electerik: @ThemeParkReview Is it because of the shrimp tacos? I can do a McDonalds TR, if that'll make it up to you.

And I am true to my word. But we’re not going to do an update about just any old McDonald’s. No, this is one of only five "Bistro Gourmet" McDonald’s, all of which are in Orlando. And while the "World’s Largest Entertainment McDonald’s & PlayPlace" is perhaps the one the most people have seen or heard of, Misty & I actually prefer this one:

Bistro Gourmet at McDonald’s, European Café
04P3025915.jpg
Two stories tall, just to make it more interesting.
10P3025920.jpg
Here's the menu board for the gourmet items. And yes, they do have the full proper McDonald's menu, too. (Not pictured, because...well, I assume everyone knows what a normal McDonald's serves.)
15P3025922.JPG
Would you care for some cake with your Big Mac?
20P3025925.JPG
Display items. Do not attempt to eat these.
25P3035938.JPG
The upstairs area consists of extra seating and arcade games.
30P3025931.JPG
Smisty thinks the seating downstairs is a bit more comfy, though.
32P3097056b.jpg
If I ever have occasion to send out an "Erik & Smisty Bag O' Crap," this will be in it.
33P3097067.jpg
Here's your chicken chimichanga, ma'am. Would you like fries with that?
34IMGP1772.jpg
Although I generally try to avoid eating things with the word 'explosion' in them, I have to admit that the 'Peanut Butter Explosion Cake' was pretty darned good.
35IMGP1252.JPG
I'm more of a Taco Bell guy, really. But this genuine Mickey D's quesadilla seems like a good compromise.
40P3025934.JPG
Are you feeling intimidated yet? AUTOMATED TRASH CANS!!!

And also, they talk.
45P3025917.jpg
And best of all, it's all free!

Actually, the gourmet items are a bit more expensive than the regular stuff. But you have to admit, it's still pretty cool.
Erik Allen Elness

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!