TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Can't wait to ride Mr Six!
Now that just makes the ride seem dirty. Especially with people putting their kids on it. I guess now we all know why he was picking people up in that school bus. Heh

Anywho, even though we have the exact model of coaster in two other SoCal locations, I'm still glad to see another family attraction at Magic Mtn. One more credit, right?

I'd venture to say that Gold Rusher has a more intense layout in terms of drops & terrain. It might have been a consideration that went into establishing the height requirement.

Hmm. I've been on Road Runner Express which has a more intense layout than Gold Rusher. Maybe seatbelts would help lower the height restriction. So why not add them?

Interestingly, though, haven't Jay or Neal said that rides with 48" height limits fit the "family" category. Personally, something more like 42" would. But we already know that SFMM won't make any changes to the existing Gold Rusher restraints.

I included Gold Rusher above just because of its relatively tame ride compared to bigger thrills at the park.

Eric

But we already know that SFMM won't make any changes to the existing Gold Rusher restraints.

But that's not true. At both West Coast Bash Q&A sessions this issue has come up. Jay and Neal have both said they could make the changes to the ride to possibly lower the height restrictions by adding the individual lap bars and/or seat belts that other Arrow Mine Trains have. They have said "It's on the to do list, but it's not in the current plan."

Still that doesn't explain why a similar ride with a single position lap bar operates at 40" on the other side of town at Disneyland, or why other Arrow Mine Trains operate with the same lap bar restraint at other parks with a 42" or 44" height restrictions.

And I agree with Jay and Neal that 48" is a good height restriction for a ride that families can ride together. That is if the ride in question fits the category. Terminator, Colossus, Revolution, and even Goliath are all good 48" rides. But Gold Rusher should be on the same caliber as Ninja, Big Thunder Mountain, Sierra Sidewider and the like. I mean, I think the mine train coaster at Hansa Park in Germany that KidTums rode when she was two years old was taller than Gold Rusher! And that's in Germany! Where they are insanely strict about safety and other engineering codes.

And if the solution on Gold Rusher is just putting in seat belts? C'mon!

--Robb "I actually really WANT the mountain to be more family friendly!" Alvey

^Very possible indeed. In fact in most cases, height restrictions are merely suggestive with manufacturers giving a guideline as to what it should be, but the park may or not have a say in what it is; however it leaves the door open for lengthy and frustrating litigation should the park change it and an injury were to happen.

Example as follows:

[Park X changes reccommend height restriction 0f 54" to 48"]

Parent: My kid injured her leg on your ride!

Park [to manufacturer]: This kid got hurt on your ride!

Manufacturer: How tall was the kid?

Pk: 50" tall

Mf: Really? We reccomended that you set the height restriction to 54".

...and the litigation and finger-pointing begins.

Didn't Gold Rusher used to have a 42" height requirement???

But back to what Robb said about being able to ride much bigger rides ... I totally agree.

Take my son for example:

When we went to TX he rode RoadRunner Express, Judge Roy Scream, La Vibora and COULD have ridden Viper, Greezed Lightnin' and Flashback if he had chosen to ride at that time. He just didn't want to ride any upside down coasters at the time.

By the time he could ride Gold Rusher he had already ridden Space Mtn, Big Thunder, the Legoland Coasters, Ninja (SFMM), etc.

ALL of those rides are higher/more intense than Gold Rusher (at least IMO) and Gold Rusher was ho-hum after riding Colossus, Goliath, Revolution, CA Screamin', etc.

Whereas he would have been THRILLED to ride it 3-4 years earlier.

If the ONLY thing preventing Gold Rusher from having a lower requirement is something like Seat Belts, then IMO they can do EXACTLY what Robb said.

Retrofit the ride with Seat Belts, can't be THAT hard IMO and advertise the heck out of it saying something along the lines that "Six Flags First Coaster is now available to a whole new audience." Bring the kids, come check it out.

Let's also not forget that FREEFALL had a 42" height requirement. Tell me that makes any sense.

"Didn't Gold Rusher used to have a 42" height requirement???" (Sir Clinksalot)

Good question. Our family took its first visit there in August 1971. My youngest brother was only six at the time, and I...think...all seven of us were able to ride it. I could be mistaken, though.

Eric

I'd venture to say that Gold Rusher has a more intense layout in terms of drops & terrain. It might have been a consideration that went into establishing the height requirement.

Hmm. I've been on Road Runner Express which has a more intense layout than Gold Rusher. Maybe seatbelts would help lower the height restriction. So why not add them?

Not to mention SDC's Thunderation, in which you only have to be 42" to ride...BACKWARDS! I can't quite remember the exact restraint set up on that coaster, but I sure do remember that it was completely insane (for a mine train).

On the other hand, changing the restraint systems on Gold Rusher may not have any effect on the height requirement at all. Adventure Express (KI), for example, has both seatbelts AND individual lap bars, yet you still must be 48" to ride it...ever since Cedar Fair took over, anyway.

^ But that's just also dumb. Cedar Fair changed Jaguar's height restriction from 42" to 48" and now no one ever seems to ride it. It's really sad because again, it's a great family coaster but by the time most kids are tall enough to ride it, they aren't as interested in it.

Something like Jaguar to a 48" kid becomes a "filler" ride for their day at the park instead of a major attraction for them.

--Robb

^ With Jaguar!, didn't they raise the height limit just after an incident where someone's jacket got caught up in the wheels? Maybe Cedar Fair's thinking was that with a taller person, that type of thing would be less likely to happen again (taller person = jacket farther from wheels).

I'm speculating on that, of course. Diana rode Jaguar! at age five (she was about 42-43" at the time). It was a great ride for her. It would be interesting to find out what the reasoning is for such high height requirements for seemingly tame rides.

Eric

SFGADV Runaway Train and Great Escape Canyon Blaster got converted to individual lap bars a few years ago. Canyon Blaster doesn't even have seatbelts.

That 48" height restriction on Gold Rusher has always intrigued me, but if they are thinking about changing the lap bars, its a good sign. How expensive are those conversions and how many trains does Gold Rusher still have? 4? Canyon Blaster got one train out of three converted, but with the ride terrible popularity and crowds the park get, they're fine.

ANOTHER UPDATE!

Just spoke to Jay Thomas at Six Flags Magic Mountain - While they don't have any final information on the actual height restriction, he has told me that they are diligently working on lowering the height restriction so it will appeal to a wider audience.

Jay was upset about all the trash talking, but I told him "rest assured, as soon as we hear that you guys have pulled through and lowered that restriction, we will all be singing your praise."

Let's cross our fingers that we hear good things in the near future.

We are excited about this ride and we want it to be a success. At a 36" height restriction I can absolutely get behind this additional and recommend to our family members that they bring their kids out to ride it. Let's hope that happens.

--Robb

UPDATE! According to the official Six Flags Twitter, Six Flags Corporate has confirmed the 42" height restriction on the ride. (See the screen capture photo below)

--Robb

Looks like the ride will be receiving a 42" height requirement.

www.sixflags.com/magicMountain/rides/mrsixsdancecoaster.aspx

ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

It has to be a typo...it has to be a typo..it has to be a typo...

If not...

I don't know about anyone else but I will be taking my daughter to Disneyland to ride their 35" roller skater. Or better yet, I'll take KidTums to Cedar Point so she can ride their even BIGGER roller skater than only has a 36" height restriction.

--Robb "I don't think I've ever been so disappointed in the park as I am right now." Alvey

POP QUIZ!

QUESTION! What is somethineg that Kristen WON'T be able to do at Six Flags Magic Mountain this summer, but she WILL be able to do at about 30 or 40 parks all over the USA and the rest of the world?

ANSWER! RIDE A ROLLER SKATER!!!!

OTHER QUESTION!!!

Hey, Six Flags Magic Mountain! What ride can my daughter ride at the family friendly Disneyland and Magic Kingdom, but she can't ride at your park?

A VEKOMA ROLLER SKATER!!!!

Here is a list of all the Vekoma Roller Skaters currently operating in North America and their height restrictions:

Ant Farm Express - Wild Adventures - 36"

Gadet's Go Coaster - Disneyland - 35"

Barnstormer - Magic Kingdom - 35"

Merlin's Revenge - Castle Park - 40"

Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom - 36" w/ Adult

Six Flags Mexico - 35"

Spacely Sproket Rockets - Six Flags Great America - 36"

Woody Woodpecker - Universal Studios Florida - 36"

Romp Bomp A Stomp - Six Flags Fiesta Texas - 36"

Flying Unicorn - Islands of Adventure - 36"

Okeechobee Rampage - Cypress Gardens - 36" w/ Adult

Woodstock Express - Cedar Point - 36"

Hang Ten - Freestyle Music Park - 36" w/ Adult

Vapor Trail - Sesame Place - NO HEIGHT RESTRICTION (rider must be 3 years old)

Mr. Six's DanceCoaster - Six Flags Magic Mountain - 42"

Yeah, this HAS to be a mistake. I'll make a call to the park tomorrow to find out for sure. It just can't be right.

--Robb

EDIT:

Interesting....when the ride operated at Six Flags New Orleans it was 36"...

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:pLzW3aB4cXoJ:www.acesouthcentral.org/Lost/SFNO/railrunner.htm+Rex%27s+Rail+Runner+36%22&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Road Runner Express

Six Flags New Orleans

Length (feet): 679'

Height (feet): 28'

Manufacturer: Vekoma

Height restriction: 36"

Date Opened 2000

sftwitter.jpg.86f2d953611da4e05eb87ad130d3ef84.jpg

Six Flags Twitter CONFIRMS the 42" height restriction!

I can't support this park if this is how they are going to treat families.

Agreed. If this is in fact the actual height restriction, I'm going to recommend that NO ONE from Theme Park Review with families supports this coaster and their decision to have a height restriction set so high.

If you are going to take your family to ride this coaster, take them to Disneyland instead where their EXACT version of this ride has a height restriction of 35" and is targeted for families.

--Robb

That's okay Robb, we'll go to Six Flags Great America, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, or Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom and KT can ride their Roller Skaters at 36''. Or heck, maybe Six Flags Mexico with a 35.4'' restriction!

Or you know, any other good park on Earth that has a roller skater.

EDIT!! OMG!!! Even Cedar Point "Capital of no kids rides" roller skater has a 36'' height restriction!!!!

This is the stupidest thing I have seen in a very long time.

I'm speechless, I can't even believe this. I can't support this park if this is how they are going to treat families.

Let me see if I have this straight.

If you're three feet tall, you can ride the majestic Matterhorn, but you're still too short to ride a themed rollerskater?

Hoo, boy . . .