Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

Page 108 - New for 2014 - Snake Pit Waterslides
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
It's All About Quality!

Postby Angry_Gumball » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:31 pm

They already have a drop tower as well...so I wonder how this will pan out for CGA's addition, though that's another topic elsewhere.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Philrad71 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:07 pm

I would assume that they might put it where the Laser was located? But, take out a Schwarzkopf looper and replace it with a freefall? Even though I liked Demon Drop, this doesn't make any sense at all...

Maybe it will show up and sit in a scrap heap like the old Batman coaster after it showed up at Darien Lake a few years ago?

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby NewsPlusNotes » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:55 am

Photos of the parts that arrived in Dorney's lot. Looks a lot like Demon Drop. I have to wonder where in the park it will go, as there are some open areas that were already tagged for other expansion. More photos here, too.

Mike
DDatDorney1a.jpg
Viewed 1572 times
DDatDorney4a.jpg
Viewed 1568 times

This 16 year old puts you to shame

Postby socalMAN123 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:41 pm

The parts all alone in the parking lot make this ride look even more beat up and decrepit. Bad move Mr. Falfas
---Brent =)
Disobey

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby coasterdude2011 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:15 pm

Even though I think Cedar Fair is a great chain unlike most people, I do think it's a bad decision not giving Demon Drop to Michigan's Adventure. Yes they have thrilling coasters, but they have no thrill rides and their only drop ride is a frog hopper if I remember correctly. Also every park already has a thrilling drop ride.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby CHILLERLC1 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:17 pm

I think there is to be no crying at all about Knotts. Since what? late 2004 they got Silver Bullet, Sierra Sidewinder, and now Pony Express. I was at the park in I believe 2005. There is to be no crying, CF invested in the park, even rehabbed those western town buildings. Maybe I'd complain about Ghostrider. I have a reason to return to Knotts to get those two new coaster credits to myself.

I just hope Dorney is just a storage yard, just like Tidal Wave sat at SFDK for a couple years. I'd pay upcharge to use an excavator with a grapple arm in Dorney's parking lot to rip that scrap up.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby kongker » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:17 pm

Cedar Point has a "Point Cast" video that features a CP staff member who co-signs on the Host's statement that Demon Drop is heading to KBF for the 2010 season. Shortly after, word came (via: the internets) that this would not be the case.

I'm curious how TPR & other sites come into play when parks are planning & developing attraction ideas. Do Knott's (and other parks) consider it an afterthought or is the feedback held in much higher regard than previously thought?

I am very happy Knott's will be spared a Cedar Fair hand-me-down, but I couldn't help but wonder if the "Forum Furor" had anything to do with it. :omg:

Demon Drop video (Statement made @ 00:20 mark)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE-NQBoIe0k

Cockroach and rat free since 2002!

Postby Bolliger&Mabillard » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:20 pm

Demon drop has already begun to be disassembled. But I would think that with the DeDro conspiracy apparently falling through, Screamin' Swing is going to stay put for right now...

As for the idea of a Dive Machine...If space wasn't an issue I could totally see this park getting one. I just wouldn't care much if they did.
No weapon formed against me shall prosper
Gotta love yourself before you can love another

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Ccron10 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:52 pm

Sorry Knott's....

http://ocresort.freedomblogging.com/200 ... all/26729/

In October, Knott’s Berry Farm announced that the Demon Drop ride would move here from its original home in Knott’s sister park, Cedar Point, in Sandusky, Ohio.

Now, Knott’s officials said that those plans have changed. The Demon Drop instead will go to another property, Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom in Allentown, Pa.

All three parks are owned by Ohio-based Cedar Fair Entertainment Co.

Over the Thanksgiving holiday, sharp-eyed theme park fans in Pennsylvania spotted steel pieces they noted looked suspiciously similar to parts of the now-dismantled Demon Drop. (See the photos posted on newsplusnotes blog here).

“Initial plans to install the ride at Knott’s Berry Farm have recently changed,” Knott’s spokeswoman Jennifer Blazey said in a written statement. “The change is a result of a review of the site geography, aesthetic park design, land use, and in the ride’s uniqueness in the northeast United States.”

The Demon Drop was installed at Cedar Point in 1983. The ride up the tower takes six seconds, only to have riders drop that same distance in two seconds at 55 mph. Online fans had questioned why an older ride like the Demon Drop would be sent to Southern California, especially when Knott’s already has a drop ride, the Supreme Scream.

The ride had been scheduled to be reconstructed at Knott’s Charlston Circle area in time for summer. The Demon Drop is now expected to be operational at Dorney on that same timetable.

Looks official then.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby haiderodes » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:04 pm

Not sure if I buy the "uniqueness to the northeast" as a reason for the change in plan. KBF, Disney and SFMM all have similar rides in their line up - rapids, chair swings, carousels and log rides.

More realistically, I imagine the cost of transporting the ride to PA vs CA is a lot cheaper. I also figure the publicity over the sudden change couldn't hurt...just saying. Seems kinda strange to announce then suddenly switch delivery destination by 2000 miles.
walking in space.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!