TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

This park just did a wonderful service to not only coaster enthusiast but the Chicago area. One of the biggest thing I heard closing weekend was people wanting to see the Little Dipper and Carousel saved. Both of them staying in the area is wonderful news. Even better, the park will get the ride for under 100k total put in.

Honestly, there is a bunch of room in the Bugs Bunny National Park area if the ball area or play area near the entrance is taken down. I do agree with Elissa that the ride should be placed outside of the kiddie ride areas. All three kids areas are already by each other as it is in one corner of the park.

If it would go to Wiggles World, my best bet would be that they would remove the Wiggles Cars. I'm not sure how big of an area it needs.

By the Looney Toons Ball Pit is a plain field. Or, could they be removing the little playground with nets, like a giant McDonald's play place? They haven't used that in years, and hopefully take it out.

I do like Jo's idea of putting it where Splash Water Falls was. It seems it could fit into the area pretty nicely, even though American Eagle, the other white wooden roller coaster, isn't to far away.

The parents could go to the food court, while the kids ride the roller coaster, and then they could meet at a table and eat. Sounds like something my family would do 10 years ago.

I Don't know the park that well, but couldn't it also go where Deja' vu stood. Also i wonder how this will impact the Chang decision. If SFGAM got both it would however mean that the SFGAM fanboys would have to stop complaining about how SFMM get's multiple coasters in consecutive years...

Buccaneer Battle is where Deja Vu was.

Yes but it has happend before that a coaster has lost its status when its manual operation changed to automatic or computer controlled and major train modifications made. (i.e. Fairly Odd Coaster, Ghoster Coaster) and I doubt Six Flags will keep it manual.

Yes you are right, which is why i changed my example to the other jr. woodies since they are practicaly the same ride. Does any one know why they lost their status though? Cause I honestly can't think of anything that they have changed that would have caused this to happen, unless they have seat dividers and I can't remember if they do.

I've always thought that ACE Coaster Classic is really a dumb specification. Technically adding seatbelts would take away its classic status, under the "side to side" or airtime rules. But it has nothing to do with the coaster itself. There's no rules about what kind of brakes it has. Heck, it could probably have a launch, as long as the trains are free of "restrictions".

I'd just go as far as "Who gives a poop?" if it's an ACE Coaster Classic? Is ACE really the end all be all?

I think lot of people just find coasters free of multiple and redundant safety features to be more enjoyable. I certain do. I could care less whether it is called an "ACE Classic Coaster" or a "old school coaster free of multiple, rendundant and unnecessary safety features".

However, I must admit that "ACE Classic Coaster" sounds better.

A better question is does it even matter if it is an ACE Coaster Classic?

No, not at all. Most of the coasters on that list are not even that good. They are either kiddie coasters or similar rides with gentle enough forces that they don't need any additional restraints.

There are only a handful of rides on that list that are decent.

IMO, if you can operate a woodie for more than 20 years and not screw it up...it's a classic!

--Robb

A little off-topic, but I'd like to point out that the ACE Classic designation is NOT to point out great wooden roller coasters, but to designate those rare coasters running as they have been run for its entire existence. Yes, most of the coasters on the list aren't the best...but that wasn't the point of the designation in the first place.

We now return to our scheduled discussion...

Here is the official announcement from the park. Looks like the ride will be opening in 2010!

Six Flags Great America Purchases Historic Wooden Coaster

Purchase of Classic Wooden Coaster from Kiddieland Amusement Park Keeps Chicago History Alive

Nov. 25, 2009 (Gurnee, Il.) -- Six Flags Great America announced today the purchase of a vintage wooden roller coaster, The Little Dipper. The coaster operated at Kiddieland Amusement Park from 1950 until September of this year when the amusement park closed. The coaster will retain its original name and become the 14th coaster in Six Flags Great America’s impressive line-up of roller coasters.

The Little Dipper was designed by Herbert Schmeck and built by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company in 1950. The family-friendly coaster features a three story tall lift hill and is designed as a figure eight track which runs 700 feet in length. It has been honored with the ACE Coaster Classic award by the American Coaster Enthusiasts.

“The Little Dipper has been a fond family tradition for over 50 years,” said Hank Salemi, Six Flags Great America’s park president. “We wanted to preserve this important piece of Chicago history for families to experience for many more years to come.”

Guests can create a season of memories on The Little Dipper with a 2010 Season Pass which is on sale now at sixflags.com for the low price of $64.99. Season Passes include admission to the best water park in the nation, Hurricane Harbor; as well as discount-packed value book with more than $500 dollars worth of offers including four Bring-A-Friend-Free tickets.

Six Flags Great America is located between Chicago and Milwaukee and offers fun for the entire family with heart-pounding roller coasters including Raging Bull, a free 15-acre water park, spectacular shows and parades, three children’s themed areas including Wiggles World and meet and greets with Six Flags’ world-famous cast of characters, including Mr. Six.