TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

KICK BOODIE! Possibly the Greatest Ride Ever Created.

I've ridden Kick Booty (Bootie, Boodie, whatever) at the Bourbon County Fair, outside of Lexington, KY in the mid 90s. It was the main attraction at the fair and seemed like it was a probably there every year, because the hillbillies just raved about it. I was a bit freaked out by it. It seemed dangerous...like a finger could get smashed or an ankle broken really easily. Once was enough for me. I didn't find it terribly thrilling, just kind of weird and a little bit frightening.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems like such a neat ride... especially if you put your enemy in the seat receiving the boodie-kicking

Wave Swingers, in my opinion, are really fun. I'm sure this is kinda the same principle, except you don't get yelled at for grabbing onto other seats.

I live in muhlenberg county KY.....kick booty used to come with our county fair every year....like i said i was just a little kid and always wanted to ride it but never was tall enough, by the time i was it stopped coming with the fair.....sucks that i never go to ride....i guess they are not around anymore......thanks for the pics though it brings back memories

• 2 months later...

I live in Ky. and we used to always have Kick Boodie at our fair and at Lincoln Days. It was the greatest ride ever, but unfortunately it is out of business. One day I was taking a road trip to where I grew up and across the road from where my grandmother lived in Magnolia KY., I saw it! It was Kick Boodie-oodie-oodie-oodie!!! I couldn't believe my eyes, it was just sitting out in this growed up field rusting away. I had to stop and pay my respects. R.I.P. KICK BOODIE WE WILL NEVER FORGET YOU!!!!!!!!![/b]

Great find. I rode the Wave Swinger in Galaxy Land in West Edmonton Mall. They let you kick, grab, and push people around you, that was fun. The other ride or activty was and adult Ball crawl.

The other insane ride I rode was the Boomerang spinning ride at Bertand Island, basically they put you in a tub that can fit 3 to 4 people, then attach it to a arm that spins you around until the operator would release you into a tunnel spinning till the station. What a blast.

:cry: I live in Ky. and we used to always have Kick Boodie at our fair and at Lincoln Days. It was the greatest ride ever, but unfortunately it is out of business. One day I was taking a road trip to where I grew up and across the road from where my grandmother lived in Magnolia KY., I saw it! It was Kick Boodie-oodie-oodie-oodie!!! I couldn't believe my eyes, it was just sitting out in this growed up field rusting away. I had to stop and pay my respects. R.I.P. KICK BOODIE WE WILL NEVER FORGET YOU!!!!!!!!![/b]

WOW. Thank you for posting, although this news saddens me greatly. I'm curious how long ago this was, and if it's actually still sitting there rusting away? I'd still love to track down the owner and know the whole story behind it, and it's unfortunate demise. Someone seriously needs to resurrect this thing! Perhaps I should make that my new goal in life?

I'll ride by there today and see if it's still there. The price of scrap got pretty high a year or two ago. It was probably about 2 years ago that I saw it. I'll let you know tommorrow.

It's funny that yesterday, I was telling a guy that I work with about this ride and he could not believe that you were able to kick people on a ride like that. Now days they yell at you for bouncing or swinging!!!! So he wanted to try to find a picture of it and he found this website. Pretty cool...

I might as well re-post them to the TPR server though.

Heh, check the links of the original pictures - I actually did that for you already!

--Robb "But it's always nice to see the photos again!" Alvey

• 2 months later...

Back in the summer of 1990 some friends and I did a BMX show for the Jefferson county fair in TN and they had this ride. Since we were 'part of the fair' we got to ride all the rides for free, and since we were there all day (before the fair would open) we got to ride before the crowd got there and the lines were long. That said I got pretty good at being the kicker/catcher and to this day I'd say this was my all time favorite ride. It was a blast!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I just found this site today and joined because I googled "kick boodie ride" and this site came up, anyway. I am from south Florida and growing up, my best friend and I at the time got to ride the Kick Boodie hundreds of times over the years at our annual church carnival in the late 80's to mid 90's.

We were what the ride operator/ owner would call SUPER KICKERS because we rode the ride so much we had all the levels mastered and would re-connect everytime he hould yell KICK BOODIE over the PA system. No matter what new ride the Church would add in each year, the Kick Boodie was the main attraction having the longest line of waiting riders.

My friend and I were so addicted to the ride we would show up on Monday when all the rides would start to arrive to the Church to be set up eventhough the carnival didn't open untill Thursday just so we could watch the owner pull in and set it up.

I remember the last time I rode the ride on the last day of the carnival, I got to talk to the owner/operator who did travel in a motorcoach with the ride attached behind like in the photo you posted, only difference was the coach was red in color anyway, he told me he and a friend of his designed the ride and it was the only one of its kind as I played with his family dog that hung outside the coach when he was working. The dogs name was "Peaches" by the way. I told you we were addicted.

The owner / operator told me to enjoy the ride cause he was not sure how much longer he was going to continue to operate it from carnival to carnival. I asked why he never brought the ride to state fairs like the Dade and Broward county fair, he said they required a special license and he could only have it at select carnivals and it was about time to hang it up.

That was the last time I got to ride or even see the Kick Boodie. To this day when ever I pass a carnival or bring my kids to one, the first thing I do is look for the Kick Boodie in hopes someone has taken over the rains and brought it back. I have rode so may type's of ride's over the years and no matter what The Kick Boodie was the ONLY ride that was a blast and a challenge to ride all in one. Nothing can compare to the best ride of all time "The Kick Boodie"

The kick boodie really looks like an incredible ride.

The only thing that comes in mind that might get close is an old fashion swing ride that I think you only will see on the smaller fairgrounds in Holland/Belgium/Germany.

The kick boodie really looks like an incredible ride.

The only thing that comes in mind that might get close is an old fashion swing ride that I think you only will see on the smaller fairgrounds in Holland/Belgium/Germany.

The kid in the red shirt at 0:13 looks like he's about to fly out! And what's with the guy in the middle flinging people around?

Rides like Kick Boodie and that German swing ride look like great fun. I'm surprised that Kick Boodie could even operate here in Lawsuit Land. And I wonder how many operators that German swing ride goes through each season?

Eric

^ & ^^ I completely agree with these sentiments. The flip side for me is that even though it's great to connect with fellow riders from the past, it's just as sad to know that so many TPRers will never get to experience it. I'd still bet the house that this ride would produce the most insane TPR ERT session in history.

You know how we'll occasionally see the crazy suggestion that TPR should pool their money and buy a theme park, etc. etc.? I'm proposing we all ban together, find this thing, resurrect it, and call it our own!

Thanks SO much for posting this!! It's awesome whenever someone not only finds this thread, but takes the time to register, and then post. Heck, I didn't even realize it was first in a Google search.

Hello, I just found this site today and joined because I googled "kick boodie ride" and this site came up, anyway. I am from south Florida and growing up, my best friend and I at the time got to ride the Kick Boodie hundreds of times over the years at our annual church carnival in the late 80's to mid 90's.

We were what the ride operator/ owner would call SUPER KICKERS because we rode the ride so much we had all the levels mastered and would re-connect everytime he hould yell KICK BOODIE over the PA system. No matter what new ride the Church would add in each year, the Kick Boodie was the main attraction having the longest line of waiting riders.

What church did you go to? I attended St. Helen Catholic Church, and we'd have it there just about every year. I've also ridden it at St. Anthony, and I believe it St. Coleman as well.

Ah yes, "Super Kickers." I couldn't remember what it was he called us. My brother and I were in this club also.

My friend and I were so addicted to the ride we would show up on Monday when all the rides would start to arrive to the Church to be set up eventhough the carnival didn't open untill Thursday just so we could watch the owner pull in and set it up.

This brought back a great memory. We were never told which rides we'd be getting each year. So naturally, as the rides would start to show up, kids would create a system to alert each other as to what was pulling in the parking lot, as we couldn't see from certain classrooms. As soon as it arrived each year, it was like a collective sigh of relief. No other rides mattered.

I actually recently spoke with my dad, who conveniently organized the church carnival each year, about the good 'ole days. He reminded me of the one year when we weren't able to get it for the carnival. Attendance dropped dramatically that year!!! The next year it was most certainly back in the lineup of rides.

I remember the last time I rode the ride on the last day of the carnival, I got to talk to the owner/operator who did travel in a motorcoach with the ride attached behind like in the photo you posted, only difference was the coach was red in color anyway, he told me he and a friend of his designed the ride and it was the only one of its kind as I played with his family dog that hung outside the coach when he was working. The dogs name was "Peaches" by the way. I told you we were addicted.

Cool, I had forgotten about Peaches. That brings up something else. I also remember speaking with the owners several times in random conversations, and they always seemed to be the nicest people on the circuit. They were not your typical carnies.

The owner / operator told me to enjoy the ride cause he was not sure how much longer he was going to continue to operate it from carnival to carnival. I asked why he never brought the ride to state fairs like the Dade and Broward county fair, he said they required a special license and he could only have it at select carnivals and it was about time to hang it up.

Great info. Yeah, we always wondered the same thing as kids.

That was the last time I got to ride or even see the Kick Boodie. To this day when ever I pass a carnival or bring my kids to one, the first thing I do is look for the Kick Boodie in hopes someone has taken over the rains and brought it back.

LOL. I subconsciously do the same thing. I've told my wife that, if by a miracle of God, I somehow find this thing operating somewhere, we're dropping everything and going to ride! I don't care if I'm on my way to a wedding, funeral, or whatever.......I'M GOING TO RIDE!!

I have rode so may type's of ride's over the years and no matter what The Kick Boodie was the ONLY ride that was a blast and a challenge to ride all in one. Nothing can compare to the best ride of all time "The Kick Boodie"

I wholeheartedly agree. And going back to my original statement, this is the toughest part about seeing this thread bumped. Those who have ridden it, and understand its awesomeness, will always struggle to explain how it trumps any other thrill ride in the world. It was so simple, yet so amazing!

On a side note, I have not given up on trying to find video of it in action. I've recently upped my efforts in trying to contact old friends who, at the time, had video cameras. Sadly, back then, video cameras weren't as commonplace as they are now.

Stay tuned though. I'm determined to find it on film somewhere!