TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Can anyone tell me please what's best day for "Knott's", if i expect no long waiting times ??

I'll be there in March 2010, 26th to 10th April, there some Holidays in USA ??

Easter is April 4th I believe. Most schools are off the week before but some are the week after. My guess is that it will be a little less crowded after the 4th. Go towards the end of the week on a week day.

^All the coasters (Xcept Xcelerator) are scheduled to be open during Haunt. The line for Pony Express can get pretty long on some nights so I would save it for the last hour when most of the crowds have left.

Thanks heaps for that.

I'm not sure how Knott's is going to be after totally loving HHN at Universal Hollywood, I didn't leave til after 3 am on Saturday night. I'll also miss those front of line privileges.

I'm going on Wednesday night to Scary Farm so hopefully it won't be too bad a night, I've got Thursday and Friday night up my sleeve if I don't get everything done.

Screamscape is reporting this morning that Demon Drop from Cedar Point is being removed and sent to Knott's.

Here's the links:

http://www.screamscape.com/html/knott_s_berry_farm.htm

What is interesting in this second link (scroll to page 2) is that it's documented from August 2009.

http://www.buenapark.com/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=1409

Demon Drop coming to Knott's? You sure? I thought they were done with thrill rides.

No, really, I think it would be great if Knott's got Demon Drop. Anything is better than the Screamin' Swing assuming they don't make it an upcharge. Luckily, I can't imagine a ride like Demon Drop being an upcharge attraction.

I rode the ride at Cedar Point last year and thought it was okay, but not worth more than a fifteen minute wait when compared to Cedar Point's other rides. However, at Knott's it would be better than most of the stuff there. Even though the park has Supreme Scream, Cedar Point had the Power Tower and both rides are completely different. Demon Drop is a complete freefall while an S&S tower is controlled and, in my opinion, not as good as any Intamin drop ride. Besides, Knott's is a little lacking in the "good thrill rides" department (I count five, maybe, not including the Screamin' Swing). Next, how about a new thrill coaster, such as an El Loco in Boomerang's spot?

I guess I better pay the $5 to ride the Screamin' Swing when I go to Knott's on November 1st just so I can say I've rode it since I've never been on it before. I don't think I'll get another chance to ride it after that. It probably won't be worth it but you never know.

Odd move with Demon Drop, I thought the whole reason they were getting rid of them was because they were too expensive and difficult to maintain, as well being superseded by other drop rides.

BTW went to Knotts Scary Farm last week and had a ball, while it doesn't have the quality of Universal it was still very good.

Odd move with Demon Drop, I thought the whole reason they were getting rid of them was because they were too expensive and difficult to maintain, as well being superseded by other drop rides.

I'm sure Cedar Fair was able to purchase all they needed to keep Demon Drop alive when Six Flags parks removed all of theirs.

Imo, this is a terrible idea. The ride is outdated and has been thrown into the trash at other parks for a very good reason. Not a lot of people have fond memories of the later years of Freefall's life here in so cal. The overall experience is less than Supreme Scream, which is a ride everyone loves. Two drop tower rides where you are in seated position. Brilliant. Unless they reconfigure Demon Drop to go face first, it makes zero sense to add a shorter drop ride. It would be better for them to add nothing in 2010, save the money, and put it toward their 2011 project.

This is a strange move that I don't quite understand. Not surprised that Demon Drop is leaving Cedar Point, just shocked that it is going anywhere other than a junk pile. I'm happy that this means a 1st gen freefall might get a new lease on life, but still, it just seems like a bad move to me.

I'm going to give it 2 years before the rumors of its removal begin.

I think it's great that CF is doing everything it can to preserve this classic and now rare ride. There are what, three of them left in the world?

I've never understood why CF kept DD at CP all these years after Power Tower opened.

DD does provide a unique thrill that the elevator shaft that rattles uncontrolably and the braking system used to stop the ride. The brief moment of weightlessness only adds to the fear factor.

I'm not a huge fan of drop rides.

I'll ride S&S's tubro drops and space shots all day. I don't like the second and third generation freefall rides from Intamin. The first generation drop rides are more my speed.

Big fear of heights here.

I also don't see the reasoning behind this. If Demon Drop had been relocated to Michigan's Adventure or sold to a park without a drop tower, then it would make sense. However, relocating a first generation free fall ride to a park with a modern free fall ride doesn't make any sense. Then again, La Ronde is getting an SLC, so anything is possible. I know Demon Drop looks different than Supreme Scream, but I still can't see how this will work from a gp perspective. Although, if I go to Knott's, I'll still ride it, so no complaints from me, but I'm just trying to figure out the logic behind this decision.

As much as I'd like to see a first gen Freefall preserved, especially Demon Drop, somehow I feel that this could be a complete red herring.

I could be wrong, but seeing this in a Buena Park Community Development newsletter is not a conformation in my eyes. I wonder who they really heard this from. I'd like to hear it from the park, please

I could be wrong, but seeing this in a Buena Park Community Development newsletter is not a conformation in my eyes. I wonder who they really heard this from. I'd like to hear it from the park, please

Agreed. I find this very hard to believe. And if it's true I'm just not understanding the logic behind it.

How on earth can they market this as anything "new" to the So Cal area when I have to think that almost everyone who would be vaguely interested in theme park or thrill rides probably rode Magic Mountain's Freefall multiple times during it's 25 year life span.

That would be like Six Flags Magic Mountain installing an old Schwarzkopf shuttle loop and trying to market it as something "new."

Makes no sense that Knott's would get this very "old school" drop ride especially when Knott's already HAS a 'modern' drop ride.

Wouldn't it seem that a park like Michigan's Adventure which has no drop ride at all could benefit from something like this?

--Robb