Erik & Misty's Smoky Mountain Adventures

Dollywood, Mini Golf, & What Have You
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
150 posts and I just get a crappy title!

Postby brilinjo » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:43 pm

I've finally read the complete Photo TR, and really enjoyed your humour. What is on your "to do" list, as surely there can't be too much left in TN that you haven't covered?

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:47 am

brilinjo wrote:What is on your "to do" list, as surely there can't be too much left in TN that you haven't covered?

I'm not sure. When I first started this thread, I planned it as strictly a 2009 thing--a sort of farewell to the area before we moved away. But now it's looking like we aren't going to leave until mid-2010, so I'll probably keep going so long as there's stuff to do.

Also, I thought there would be more coasters/parks so far, honestly. I had planned to do Nascar Speed Park (but their coaster was down most of the year), Belle Island (which stalled out during construction), Ghost Town in the Sky (their big coaster opened for one day), and Santa's Land (which I was going to do at the same time as GTitS). So any or all of those could still potentially be done next year.

As for the rest of this year, I'm sitting on about eight updates right now that I just have to sort through and post. And things around here mostly stay open through New Year's Day.

Right off the top of my head, I can think of at least five more mini golf places, four or five "museums," and quite a few other unique and/or unclassifiable things I haven't quite gotten around to yet.

I don't want to give away all my plans, because I think the element of surprise adds to the fun, but a few of the things I'm for sure planning are:

WonderWorks (since I was wrong about them not allowing photos inside).
Zorb
Ripley's Haunted Adventure
Titanic (when it opens next year)
The Fun Time Trolley "Tour of Lights"
And, of course, at least two more Dollywood updates (Gospel & Harvest Festival and Smoky Mountain Christmas).

So, yes, I can see this going on for just a bit longer. :P

Thanks, everyone, for the positive responses. It's always gratifying when someone takes the time to post something.
Erik Allen Elness

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:28 pm

The Apple Barn is located on the border of Pigeon Forge and Sevierville, and consists of several different shops and eateries, all of which heavily feature apples.
04IMGP3203.JPG
This is where the Amish make iPhones. (I’m not proud of that joke.) Seriously, though, apples really don't look all that much like the letter A.
06P5215980.JPG
Actually, there’s just fruit inside. But slap an apple logo on it and smug hipsters will pay through the nose for it. (I swear I’ll stop soon.)
08P5215970.JPG
There are also lots of apple accessories. Like one style of headset (available in white only).
10IMGP8757.JPG
Yes! Just the thing I need to get this patch jacket started!
12P5215948.JPG
There’s also a Christmas store...
14P5215958.JPG
...a winery (featuring lots of yummy apple-flavored wines)...
16P5215985.JPG
...and a candy store.
18P5215988.JPG
Watching people make candy is always entertaining. And, this store features something I’d never heard of before: chocolate-covered potato chips. Wish I’d tried one, now.
20P5215934.JPG
But I needed something hardier. The Apple Barn actually has two restaurants--one on each end of the property--but they basically have the same menu.
22P5215940.JPG
Instead of starting you out with, say, bread or chips, these folks give you apple fritters and apple juleps!
24P5215945.JPG
Pop quiz: In this photo, is Misty barely tolerating: a.) her turkey, dressing, fried okra, and mashed potatoes? b.) having to pose for this photo? or c.) my ordering an entire pie as my lunch?
33IMGP3202.JPG
And now, dessert! (Note the apple trees on either side of the walkway.)
34P5215992.JPG
Because we’re five.
35IMGP8762.JPG
Though it’s certainly not in the same category as Toft’s, The Creamery at The Apple Barn is probably my favorite ice cream place in this area.
59P5215999.JPG
You didn’t think I’d end this update without a shot of the telephone wires across the street, did you?

The Apple Barn. Take your mom.

And then buy her an iPhone.
Erik Allen Elness

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby disneymoc » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:12 am

I will say this much for Apple Barn. I think their restaurants are the best in the area if you want some "home cookin'." Both are basically the same but the Farm House ALWAYS has a much longer wait than the grill.

I eat 10,000 rancid testicles for breakfast.

Postby monkeyoverlord71 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:47 pm

Surely Misty did not go into a competitor christmas shop! :P
Official Big Mike Cheerleader!!!
PHOTOGRAPHY!!! http://martin-a-cumming.deviantart.com/

Cubs/Colts Fan

Postby spaceace12 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:04 pm

Did the winshield wipe thing work? I want one and don't want to buy crap.

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:26 pm

spaceace12 wrote:Did the winshield wipe thing work? I want one and don't want to buy crap.

:P

For the last time: I am not doing an "As Seen on TV" store update!

larrygator's TR

:P
Erik Allen Elness

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:54 pm

My parents made me eat at that Apple Barn place during a family trip to the Great Smokies when I was much younger. I remember hating it and making a very similar face to your woman's for the whole meal!!!!

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:23 am

^ Misty and I quite enjoy The Apple Barn. But yeah, it's very much the sort of place that parents would drag children who would much rather be doing something else. :P
Erik Allen Elness

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby moinab » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:38 am

It reminds me of Atkins Farms, in Amherst, MA - one of my favorite places in world, especially in autumn. We would go there every year to get our pumpkins and cider donuts! :lover:

http://www.atkinsfarms.com/ordereze/Default.aspx

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive