TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

From a few reliable sources, at the DHS version, there is supposed to be adding HD screens/projectors, 3-D, updated ride vehicle.

The part about all the different scenes seems pretty cool though, It would be alot better.

From what I've been hearing the DHS version is not getting the updates, only the Anaheim and TDL versions. Something about the WDW heads being too cheap.

Then again, if Anaheim and OLC are footing most of the bill for the production of it, then it may be going in there as well.

From a few reliable sources, at the DHS version, there is supposed to be adding HD screens/projectors, 3-D, updated ride vehicle.

The part about all the different scenes seems pretty cool though, It would be alot better.

From what I've been hearing the DHS version is not getting the updates, only the Anaheim and TDL versions. Something about the WDW heads being too cheap.

Then again, if Anaheim and OLC are footing most of the bill for the production of it, then it may be going in there as well.

If this is true then you have got to be kidding me -.- Im tired of having to ride the watered down versions of rides. half that stuff wouldnt even cost much like the screen and projector. First we get a planned SM refurb, 3 months later - Gets turned into a watered down version(no new cars, no support strengthing for onride audio, just new track.) Another point, DHS, and AK half built, So they better be bringing all those improvements to DHS.

Today Miceage has also confirmed the big-budget makeover for a Spring 2011 opening:

http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al070709a.htm

While Disneyland seems relatively quiet by comparison, there are a few surprises proposed for the original park in the next few years. The most promising is the new Star Tours 2.0 makeover that has just recently received its funding greenlight from Burbank and is now slated for an arrival in Tomorrowland in the spring of 2011. While that attraction was originally supposed to arrive in spring, 2010, we'd detailed for you in a previous update how a wussy executive team out in Orlando got cold feet at spending as much money on their version as Anaheim had planned to spend on their installation.

While Orlando's executive suites are still full of charmless pencil pushers who make Ed Grier look like Walt Disney Jr. in comparison, a financial deal was finally worked out that is allowing Disneyland to move forward with their original plan for the full-feature and big-budget remake of the popular 1980's E Ticket. You can also thank George Lucas and his creative team for refusing to give in on Orlando's proposal to scale the makeover back for East Coast audiences.

Thank you George. I dont care how long it takes, ill wait if it means we will eventually get a full makeover of the ride.

Well its cheaper then retrofitting the entire system for 3-D and it would make the ride better if we have to stick to having to use the old film for a few more years. Sort of like the rehab they did to Spaceship Earth. add these in, then next year or later, add in more during another rehab, then add in the final touches in a later rehab

^ They just added something better then almost all the E-tickets at DLR. It was Expedition Everest. The only park that needs a new one is DHS which would be the new star tours. But i wonder what will happen with RNC as the aerosmith contract will be over this month.

DHS needs alot of good rides, in my opinion so i see a star tours 2.0 as the first step. AK does also but not on a grand scale as DHS does.

^^25x25x25=15625 combinations!! That's a ridiculous amount. My guess is that certain beginnings would match up only with certain middles, and the middles with certain ends, so there probably won't actually be 15,000 possible rides. Major props to anybody who gets them all though.

^ Looks like I've got a task when it opens

I'm not a star wars fan, but love Star Tours. The idea of never knowing what you will see is fantastic. It's an idea that should be looked into in the future depending on how well this works out. Might have a new trend in simulation rides.

I have also heard for quite a while now that Star Tours 2 will be presented in 3D, and also that filming has been going on for at least a month now. I heard a rumor a while back while my brother was still working at ST, that "debris" would crash through the roof of the cabin during one of the scenes. To me this sounds a lot like Tokyo's Storm Rider where I hear the effect is amazing! I hope this one's true. I am very excited to hear about the "every ride's different" idea, that is truly awesome!

Technically at Indiana Jones Adventure, there are thousands of different ride combinations that can be achieved through subtle changes in the show. Over the years some of the show effects have either dissapeared or just aren't as nice as they were in 1995 but anyone who rides Indy can clearly notice different vehicle movements depending on what EMV you ride in, different fire and Mara's eye laser effects, and different sayings at the end of the ride. What can I say? Lucas and WDI are a match made in heaven!

With Star Tours getting all the attention, I think we're forgetting it's IJA's 15th anniversary next year. Hopefully some upgrades will be in store...

^ They just added something better then almost all the E-tickets at DLR. It was Expedition Everest. The only park that needs a new one is DHS which would be the new star tours. But i wonder what will happen with RNC as the aerosmith contract will be over this month.

DHS needs alot of good rides, in my opinion so i see a star tours 2.0 as the first step. AK does also but not on a grand scale as DHS does.

I think he meant DHS, as it's sorely in need of a boost in the E ticket side of things.

RNC's contract is rather open ended from what I understand. It's auto renewed, unless Aerosmith and/or Disney decide to part ways.

For Rock'n, Aerosmith must love the 20,000+ people a day who go though that ride, and they get paid by Disney.

Studios really could use Star Tours 2.0, that park needs it much more then Disneyland. There is almost never a line for the ride at DHS, but it can easily fill the main line area in Disneyland.

I have also heard for quite a while now that Star Tours 2 will be presented in 3D, and also that filming has been going on for at least a month now. I heard a rumor a while back while my brother was still working at ST, that "debris" would crash through the roof of the cabin during one of the scenes. To me this sounds a lot like Tokyo's Storm Rider where I hear the effect is amazing! I hope this one's true. I am very excited to hear about the "every ride's different" idea, that is truly awesome!

Technically at Indiana Jones Adventure, there are thousands of different ride combinations that can be achieved through subtle changes in the show. Over the years some of the show effects have either dissapeared or just aren't as nice as they were in 1995 but anyone who rides Indy can clearly notice different vehicle movements depending on what EMV you ride in, different fire and Mara's eye laser effects, and different sayings at the end of the ride. What can I say? Lucas and WDI are a match made in heaven!

With Star Tours getting all the attention, I think we're forgetting it's IJA's 15th anniversary next year. Hopefully some upgrades will be in store...

Honestly, I never felt any different ride experience on Indy except the 3 different paths in the tunnel. Well, same path, different lighting and different door.

^^ Each EMV has a slightly different program so bigger bumps and dips are felt in different places. There used to be a LOT more differences in the audio, with Indy saying different things at the beggining and end of the ride. Mara also shoots different sets of lasers at the vehicles as they cross the bridge, sometimes 3, but up to 6 "fires". No HUGE differences but enough to where you notice if you ride everyday I suppose.

• 2 months later...

Its Official

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo detailed plans for future lands, attractions and adventures that will be delighting Disney guests for years to come, at the first D23 Expo. Most notable among the announcements were the confirmation of an all-new Star Tours attraction and the largest expansion in the history of the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World.

"Storytelling is the DNA of Disney dreams and we're always exploring new ways to tell new stories in new places," Rasulo told a crowd at the Anaheim Convention Center in California before taking them on a "behind-the-magic" tour of their favorite Disney destinations.

Rasulo announced that a new 3-D version of the tremendously-popular "Star Tours" attraction will debut at the Disneyland Resort and Disney's Hollywood Studios in 2011. Based on the iconic Lucasfilm "Star Wars" films, the attraction will include immersive new elements that will take guests to many familiar places in the Star Wars galaxy.

For Walt Disney World in Florida, Rasulo outlined plans for the largest expansion in the history of the Magic Kingdom, vastly increasing the size of Fantasyland by 2013. Guests will soon be able to:

* Visit their favorite Disney Princess in her castle, cottage, or chateau to share a dance with Cinderella; celebrate Sleeping Beauty's birthday with the Good Fairies; or join Belle in an enchanting story performance in the Beast's castle library.

* Be Our Guest and dine in one of three enchanted rooms inside the Beast's castle.

* Fly with Dumbo high above brand new circus grounds, twice the size of the existing attraction with a new interactive, three-ring circus tent.

* Journey under the sea with Ariel, The Little Mermaid, in her very own attraction - also opening at Disney's California Adventure in Anaheim in 2011.

* Meet Tinker Bell and her friends in the magical world of Pixie Hollow.

Rasulo provided updates on the multi-year expansion of Disney's California Adventure including the new "World of Color" attraction slated to open in the spring of 2010 and the addition of the 12-acre Cars Land scheduled to open in 2012 where guests will literally step into the town of Radiator Springs and its six acres of hand-carved rockwork.

Rasulo noted the progress of several other recently-announced projects including the three new lands coming to Hong Kong Disneyland by 2014; the Disney Dream, the new ship being built by Disney Cruise Line; the many diverse itineraries being offered by Adventures by Disney that take guests on 19 unique, once-in-a-lifetime guided vacation experiences; and Disney's first family destination resort on the island of Oahu in Hawaii.

Rasulo's keynote presentation was only part of the D23 EXPO experience. Guests were able to discover:

* Never-before-seen models of upcoming Disney attractions.

* Up close and personal visits with Lucky the Dinosaur and Wall-E.

* A preview of the most advanced Audio-Animatronics figures ever created by Walt Disney Imagineering.

* Displays showcasing cutting-edge effects technologies that are being developed for Disney attractions, shows and venues.

ABOUT WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts are where families experience and enjoy the magic of Disney's beloved characters and where dreams come true. More than 50 years ago, Walt Disney created a new kind of entertainment families could experience together, immersed in detailed atmospheres and vibrant storytelling. His vision now includes a collection of five of the world's leading family vacation destinations - Disneyland Resort, Anaheim, Calif.; Walt Disney World Resort, Lake Buena Vista, Fla.; Tokyo Disney Resort, Urayasu, Chiba, Japan; Disneyland Resort Paris, Marne-la-Vallée, France; and Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, located on Lantau Island. In addition, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts includes the world-class Disney Cruise Line, Disney Vacation Club, with nine resorts and more than 400,000 members; Adventures by Disney, a guided group vacation experience to some of the world's most popular destinations; the World of Disney stores; and Walt Disney Imagineering, which creates and designs all Disney parks, resorts and attractions.

For media questions about D23 and the D23 EXPO:

Paul Roeder

http://www.prnewswire.com/mnr/disneyland/40057/