TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

This isn't what I thought of when I heard "aquatrax" but close enough

I probably won't ride it until 2011 when the lines won't be over an hour.

With only 10 boats holding 10 people, unless they have some kind of fancy load/unload system and very quick dispatches, this thing could be a capacity nightmare! I know the website says 1200 pph, but most coasters don't even come close to that do they? Factor in guests with disabilities that require help, mechanical issues and the like, and the TTD line will seem like breeze....

First I must say that this ride looks like a good addition to the Point. It looks like a lot of fun and I have only one problem with it. If this ride is supposed to be so family friendly, then why is themed to floating around a river at an illegal moonshine still. If Cedar Point actually themes it more than what is shown in the video, and there really is animatronics fighting over moonshine, I don't understand how this is so family friendly.

Sorry about the rant, and I am not bashing the ride at all, I think it looks really fun and I can't wait to ride it.

I gotta say, this is a wise addition. They needed something new that the entire family could enjoy.

However, I think the overall experience is going to be hit or miss. The rendering shows just a modified log flume with some rocks and a tunnel thrown in. But if CP actually themes this thing (as in adding small touches to make it immersive), and if they don't destroy the entire "backwoods" area by slashing more trees than they already have, than I think that this is going to be one of the best water rides around.

Unfortunately, CF has traditionally taken the opposite approach to both of those wishes. But there's still a good possibility that they'll value theme and scenery....if the ride is $11 million, there must be a decent chunk in there for extras. Didn't Pilgrim's Plunge cost around $8 million?

ps. if anyone is able to download the video from CP's website and upload it to CoasterTube I'd really appreciate it!

That way we can embed it into our announcement post.

Not sure why so many parks don't make this easier. It's their B-Roll and they should WANT other media outlets to showcase it.

--Robb

Done.

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=Shoot_The_Rapids_-_Cedar_Point_2010_mazg[/coastertube]

This looks like a lot of fun, and judging by the price, I'd expect some pretty good theming which will make the ride even better. With a price tag of 11 million, I believe the theming will be about as good as Buccaneer Battle at Great America. This should be a good addition to the park, and it should be a big hit with families.

I think this is kinda redundant since they just tore out a good log flume to build a new ride?? Now they come back and build another one to replace it. Couldn't they have just built Maverick here instead??

Also it totally baffles me that Kings Dominion is getting a 300+ ft Giga and all anyone can say is harsh things about it...but here come good old CP building a smallish log ride and everyone is going gaga over it? WTF...

Just my 2 cents, no need to shoot me or throw me under the bus, I am actually glad in this time of the economy that all these parks have the desire and funds to go and build anything at all!

Amen.

Didn't Pilgrim's Plunge cost around $8 million?

Try 4.5. I don't understand how this ride could possibly cost $6 million MORE than Pilgrims Plunge, which not only is 40 feet taller, but also uses an elevator lift, which surely wasn't cheap. I know that this ride has an extra drop, but that second hill is less than 50ft tall, and uses a traditional lift hill. How does that add up to $10.5 million?

But that aside, I think this looks like a great addition to the Point. It seems like it will be in a nice location, and the look of the final drop into those "rapids" will turn out to be really cool, I bet.

Judging by the fact that the Pilgrims Plunge's boats are dropping from an extra 40 feet, and that you rarely get completely "soaked" on that ride, I doubt you will get as wet on STR as many of you are imagining. Of course, if they end up installing that waterfall as it is in the animation, that may cause problems...by you shouldn't pay too close attention to the 3D renderings on a ride like this. (Remember how large they displayed PP's splash as being? Yeah...that's not how it turned out).

With only 7 boats, PP's line never stops moving, and I'm guessing that it also has longer blocking intervals, because of the elevator lift. Therefore, I doubt capacity will be much of an issue on this new ride. Can't wait to ride STR next year!

Re: Space left to build at Cedar Point

I bet sooner or later they'll take a page out of Six Flags playbook and start building on parking lots.

Didn't the Universal Orlando Resort build those parking garages on top of old parking lots in order to conserve space for their Resort Make Over in the mid to late 1990's?

First I must say that this ride looks like a good addition to the Point. It looks like a lot of fun and I have only one problem with it. If this ride is supposed to be so family friendly, then why is themed to floating around a river at an illegal moonshine still. If Cedar Point actually themes it more than what is shown in the video, and there really is animatronics fighting over moonshine, I don't understand how this is so family friendly.

Sorry about the rant, and I am not bashing the ride at all, I think it looks really fun and I can't wait to ride it.

Don't forget that The Dark Knight is also supposed to be a family friendly ride. I don't think the theming for Shoot the Rapids (if there is any) would be so bad that parents wouldn't want their kids going on it.

Try 4.5. I don't understand how this ride could possibly cost $6 million MORE than Pilgrims Plunge, which not only is 40 feet taller, but also uses an elevator lift, which surely wasn't cheap. I know that this ride has an extra drop, but that second hill is less than 50ft tall, and uses a traditional lift hill. How does that add up to $10.5 million?

But that aside, I think this looks like a great addition to the Point. It seems like it will be in a nice location, and the look of the final drop into those "rapids" will turn out to be really cool, I bet.

Judging by the fact that the Pilgrims Plunge's boats are dropping from an extra 40 feet, and that you rarely get completely "soaked" on that ride, I doubt you will get as wet on STR as many of you are imagining. Of course, if they end up installing that waterfall as it is in the animation, that may cause problems...by you shouldn't pay too close attention to the 3D renderings on a ride like this. (Remember how large they displayed PP's splash as being? Yeah...that's not how it turned out).

With only 7 boats, PP's line never stops moving, and I'm guessing that it also has longer blocking intervals, because of the elevator lift. Therefore, I doubt capacity will be much of an issue on this new ride. Can't wait to ride STR next year!

The whole cost thing is interesting. I would think it would hopefully be for theming, but unfortunately I can't see too much theming on this ride.

lol 15 year old "experts."