Erik & Misty's Smoky Mountain Adventures

Dollywood, Mini Golf, & What Have You
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:30 am

I have to agree with Erik here. These are two of the best mini golf courses in the area. The arcade building used to house a Q-zar back in the day. I believe they just have a generic laser tag game in there now.

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:17 am

One of the newest attractions in the area is MagiQuest.

Well, sort of....
01IMGP0818c.jpg
Two years ago, Scenic Helicopter Tours finished work on a huge, $8 million museum dedicated to helicopters.

Unfortunately, it failed before I ever got the chance to check it out.
02IMGP1788b.jpg
The next year, the building got a major facelift and reopened as Adventure Quest.

Adventure Quest featured three indoor attractions: pirate-themed mini golf, a mirror maze, and a strange laser maze attraction called The Vault.
03P3193360.JPG
This year, Adventure Quest expanded, and rechristened itself in honor of its new attraction, MagiQuest.
05P3233430.jpg
The price is fairly reasonable, at $20.00 for all four attractions (including one hour's worth of MagiQuest).

Odyssey is the biggest, most interesting mirror maze in the area (despite the "world's largest" claim by one in Gatlinburg).
08P3233511.JPG
Looking back at the entrance.

All the employees now wear cool medieval clothing, regardless of whether or not it fits their actual attraction.
09P3233459.JPG
The first section of the maze is distinguished by these markings on the columns.
10P3233462.JPG
At the end of the first section.
12P3233509.JPG
The Infinity Room transforms Misty into a Bond girl.
13IMGP0783.JPG
Don't shoot Seth, lady!
16P3233514.JPG
Techno music pulsates throughout the maze. (You can't actually see it in this photo, though.)
18P3233491.JPG
Section three features a forest paint scheme.
20IMGP7526.jpg
We have found enlightenment.
21IMGP0795.JPG
Disco exit hallway.
22P3233525.JPG
That was pretty cool. Now what?
23P3233432.JPG
In contrast to building's three other attractions, The Vault is weird, short, and not very fun.
24IMGP7533.JPG
The idea is to cross the room as fast as possible, while breaking as few of the laser beams as you can.
25P3233527.jpg
Yeah, it's hard. It's also low capacity, since there can really only be one person in the room at a time.
26P3233383.JPG
But no matter. Pirate Golf makes up for it.
27P3233386.JPG
Of the three or four blacklight courses in the area, this one is my favorite.
28IMGP7958.JPG
Overview of the main room.
29IMGP7501.JPG
Garrr! They call me Red Eye, mini golf pirate of the south seas!
30P3233399.JPG
There's nothing cooler than a giant skull to putt through.
32IMGP7977.JPG
It's well-documented that most pirates were practiced golfers.
33IMGP7989.JPG
The cannons on the battlements light up red, PotC-style.
36IMGP8002.JPG
"Madam Olga" exists both here and at Circus Golf.
38P3233419.jpg
Avast! Ye've found me treasure chest!
45P2131588.JPG
Pirate Golf is cool, but MagiQuest is cooler.

Here's the deal: They'll loan you a basic wand to use in the attraction for free. Or you can buy your own fancy one and keep it as a souvenir. (If you go that way, they'll throw in an extra half hour of gameplay.)
46IMGP7539.JPG
You can also buy lots of other accouterments. But they're mostly just for decoration.
47P3193291.jpg
"MagiQuest assumes no liability in the event that you are turned into a toad."
50P3193348.jpg
Your wand remembers everything you do, so that you don't have to start over each time (even at the other locations).
51P3193294.JPG
So what is it? Well, it's kind of like a scavenger hunt. You collect items by "enchanting" them with your wand. Some are easy to find, some are hard. Sometimes you have to do things in a certain order, sometimes you have to properly interpret your clues.
53P3193298.jpg
Smisty is ready. (Yes, that is her Magi Name.)
55P3193317.JPG
This central area is where you choose which quest to go on next.
61P3193335.JPG
Basically, it's a life-sized, adventure-style video game.
62P3193336.JPG
We must help the princess find her jewelry! (Yeah, seriously. I actually didn't even realize how lame that sounds until I typed it out.)
64P3193342.JPG
It's not on Jupiter.
65P3193334.JPG
Perhaps it's in the Forest Realm....
66P3233437.jpg
Or maybe I'll just cheat.
67P3233443.jpg
Hooray! I've found the Pixie Crystal! Guess we can go home now.
68P3193333.JPG
On second thought, maybe we'll keep playing.
Rune Chest.jpg
Ooh, a magic rune!
Secret Room.jpg
I found a secret room...
Goblin King.jpg
...and defeated the Goblin King!
Fire Dragon.jpg
Misty slayed the dragon.
Heroes Pod.jpg
We are now Master Magi!
High Scores.jpg
Behold!
SepiaMe.jpg
Our names shall live forever!

I'm not sure I've conveyed it properly, but despite my mockery, MagiQuest is actually really cool. We ended up playing for three-and-a-half hours.

In fact, overall, I think MagiQuest--by which I mean the entire building--is one the best attractions in the area.
Erik Allen Elness

Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:18 pm

Magic Quest looks fantastic! It really does. Love the souvenir wand idea. Also didn't know that the building was a former helo museum. You taught me something new here. Enjoyed this round and thanks.

My transgendered dreams have come true!!!

Postby Mr. Starr » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:25 pm

I've been interested with the whole MagiQuest idea ever since it was announced for potter land. I really hope to see it used well in TWWoHP, and thanks for showing off the basic idea of it!

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:37 pm

I was actually a bit skeptical about MagiQuest going in. But I figured it was worth a shot, even if turned out to be stupid. I really liked it, though. If they're really doing something like this at IOA, I'm liking Potter better already.
Erik Allen Elness

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby disneyfan1313 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:33 pm

Thanks for taking the time to put all of these little attractions in one update - it really has been fun to read and to see all the randomness that the Pigeon Forge / Gatlenburg area has to offer!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby itnotfair » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:02 am

Awesome TR! MagiQuest warms my nerdy little heart, and I hope one day to play it! Can I just say that the picture of the wand display got me more excited than I should admit...not in a phallic sense...I just want a wand that interacts with things! Next Tennessee trip, I'll definitely be demanding a trip to MagiQuest.

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:58 am

itnotfair wrote:Can I just say that the picture of the wand display got me more excited than I should admit...not in a phallic sense...I just want a wand that interacts with things!

And...that didn't help any. :P

Thanks for the kind words, though! (Even if you are a wand fetishist. ;) )
Erik Allen Elness

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:41 pm

Hey Erik, just catching up with your new adventures, awesome stuff! Thanks for putting this together. Would definitely be cool checking out Gatlenburg one day after seeing your feedback and hearing a lot about it. I had no idea how random that area of Tennessee was until checking out Pigeon Forge.

Cheers,
J

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby speedmetal » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:54 am

The Vault I can always do with out but I do love that mirror maze and pirate mini golf. The MagiQuest really surprised me I didn't expect to like it that much. Now what other things can we go explore. hmmm.... :roll:
Caution: Smisty

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive