Erik & Misty's Smoky Mountain Adventures

Dollywood, Mini Golf, & What Have You
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:11 pm

^So does this mean I should quake with glee or shudder at the thought? Am I on shakey ground or seem a bit rattled? (Yeah, I so need to stop right now...)

Humor notwithstanding (oops, did it again) it's always good to see these updates from the Dollywood area.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Tikifire » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:57 pm

HAUNTINGS!!! :br :lmao: I loved that place when I was a kid. I talked my dad into going in there back in the mid 80's and it was awesome! Gatlinburg used to have a lot more cheesy type attractions like Hauntings, World of the Unexplained (kind of a more interested in the occult Ripley's museum), World of Illusions, The American Wax Museum (in the town's old theater), Gatlinburg's Haunted Mansion, the old Ripley's Believe it or Not with the gigantic water faucet suspended in mid air out front, and all the gigantic arcades with all the latest games. A few of those are still around, and some have changed buildings like Ripleys after the original burned, but the 80's was a great time in Gatlinburg!

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:22 am

Located at traffic light #7 in Gatlinburg is Ripley's Believe It or Not! Museum. These exist in many different touristy areas, of course--but each one has (at least somewhat) different exhibits.
05P3052627.JPG
This one is three stories tall, and is supposed to look like an earthquake has torn apart its structure. (I think it's a bit too subtle, though.)
P3052504.JPG
Part of the lobby area that can be seen from the outside.
P3052507.JPG
"Odditorium" is a much cooler name than "Museum." I feel gypped.
P3052510.jpg
I think this is a nice touch.
P3052513.jpg
This is kind of what my hair looks like if I let it grow out.
P3052515.JPG
At the top of the stairs to the second level is a horse made out of coat hangers.
P3052523.JPG
Circling above the lobby.
P3052526.JPG
Coolest claw game ever. You can win a shrunken head doll or a two-headed cow.
P3052527.JPG
Toothpicks.
P3052535.JPG
A hologram of Ripley describing some of his adventures.
P3052544.JPG
Many of the displays are rather macabre. Let's head into the jail/torture/death area, shall we?
P3052545.JPG
John Dillinger escaping from jail with a fake gun made from soap and whatever else he could find.
P3052547.JPG
A lot of the torture stuff kind of freaks me out, actually.
P3052551.JPG
Vlad The Impaler.
P3052552.JPG
More death and weirdness.
P3052556.JPG
I do like trompe l'oeil, though.
P3052560.JPG
This dude made a detailed wax figure of himself, using his own body hair to complete it.
P3052568.jpg
Whereas Misty made a tie-dye shirt at Dollywood. Here she is, in her new shirt, demonstrating how she's shorter than the world's tallest man.
P3052569.JPG
Restroom gag. This is positioned across from the clearly-labeled men's room.
P3052575.JPG
The ever-popular giant chair and a painting of Spider-Man painted on spider webs (not as cool looking as it sounds, I'm afraid).
P3052594.JPG
The dude with the camera makes people jump out of the way when they walk through the door.
P3052595.JPG
Ripley's calls it a Swangin' Bridge...
P3052597.jpg
...I call it a standard issue spinning tunnel.
P3052598.JPG
And this is the world's weakest balcony stunt. You have to stand on it forever, it makes noise before it starts, and it only tips you forward an inch or two at an extremely-controlled rate of speed.
P3052604.JPG
A prehistoric area and a chick with tiny wing tattoos (not part of the exhibit, actually).
P3052609.JPG
Whoa! We're gonna get to see that chick's boobies! Outta my way, kid!
P3052610.JPG
Awww. Damn you, boobie-robbing mirror trick!
P3052618.JPG
Well...I can take a lot of photos of even the most minor tourist attractions...does that count?
P3052621.JPG
The exit dumps you into an arcade.
P3092727.jpg
It's a fun little tour. You can set you're own pace, and it's air-conditioned. Hardly a "must do," but still amusing.

Believe It or Not!
Erik Allen Elness

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby scruffy » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:17 pm

I am surprised that their is no picture showing the first Ripley's Believe It or Not! Museum burning down.

Bork! Bork! Bork!

Postby Not For Sale » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:22 pm

This thread was very useful for figuring out what to do (and what not to do) during the Deep South trip at Pigeon Forge. Thanks!
-Bryan Stoll
Stupidity|Show|Self

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:06 pm

^ No, thank you!

Honestly, I was a bit unsure about this thread when I started it. (Was it too much non-coaster stuff? Would anyone really be interested in a bunch of photos of mini-golf?) But people seem to like it, and I'm having fun doing it--so I guess it's all good.

Gonna need me a banner soon. :P

/Looking forward to some Deep South Trip reports.
Erik Allen Elness

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby crazydaveh » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:34 pm

I really enjoy your reports! Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge used to be a yearly stop for us back when we lived in Atlanta... I haven't been up there in years so it's great to see it all in your reports.
Beer... It helps coasters go higher and faster!

Dave

Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/78611756e2677af30ecbe7f169e00926.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/32a684dcd0f18289ee3e5a31292b8f5a.jpg[/img][/url]

I make cake

Postby Brandy524 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:58 am

I've only been to Gatlinburg once but it was a lot of fun, and I definitely want to go back after reading this thread! And I have a picture of me and my husband in that giant chair too. I'm a little short and I couldn't climb up in it without help. Sad.

Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:52 pm

Ahh, Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum. The folks and I had a good time there last fall. We all used to watch the old TV show when Jack Palance (one-armed push up guy/Curly in City Slickers) was host. Brought back some great memories, including the Chinese monk with a hole in his skull that could hold a candle.

We wanted to do some of the haunted stuff and the aquarium, but there just wasn't time. S'ok, the Pancake Pantry with it's great BACON and pancakes along with the Candy Kitchen more than made up for those misses.

Erik, this really is a handy reference. Any chance of Dollywood Splash Country?

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby Velo_editor » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:12 pm

Awesome thread! I have a soft spot in my heart for this area. Spent many vacations there. I swear once the original Ripleys burned down the fire spread the Ripley's seed all across town sprouting the new, bigger museum, mini-golf, an aquarium, more mini-golf, etc. Now that company pretty much owns that town.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive