TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coaster size restrictions

Geoff

Hi

We’re setting off a trip to North East USA next month and will be visiting Six Flags Great Adventure, Busch Garden Europe, King’s Island and Cedar Point. I’ve read with some interest about some size restrictions when getting on some coasters and was wondering at what size it gets difficult to get on. When we visited Orlando two years back, I was okay getting on the big boy seats on B&Ms but this means the choice of where I could sit was severely limited. I’ve now lost about 30 pounds and so am hoping that I won’t have a problem again. I’m now 250 pounds and have a 48 inch chest. I’m about 5 foot ten inches tall. Do you think I’ll be able to get on non big boys seats or should I stop eating for the next month?!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Geoff.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read somewhere that the B&Ms can fit up to 54 inch so you should be fine. I think most parks have test seats anyways for that purpose to save anyone the embarassment of having to do the walk of shame.

And losing weight is more than just not eating and exercise. It's also about your lifestyle too. The healthier you live, the easier it is.

I know that the "big boy" seats on Alpengeist (under the four diamonds in the loading station) are meant for guests with chest sizes "approaching" 52 inches. Apollo's Chariot might be the only one that gives you trouble, depending on your waist size.

I just got back from a trip and had asked this exact question before I left. I absolutely feel your pain. I'm pretty big; I'm 6'2" and around a 44-46 inch waist and 48 to 50 inch chest and I'm just as proportioned in the hips. I really had no real problem at any of the parks.

At Kings Island the tightest rides are what you would expect. I was worried on Diamondback, but I was able to squeeze into it just fine. They say that all of the seats are the same, but I'm not sure that is the case. Rows 2, 4, and 6 I was able to get into without any problem. We decided to try the back and sat in row 14. I couldn't get the lap restraint down to where they wanted it on my own, and a ride-op had to give the bar a push to get it there. Firehawk was also definitely a bit more snug than the Superman rides I've ridden, but I got myself buckled just fine. The other two rides that seemed a little tight were Flight of Fear and Invertigo. Everything else was no problem that I can remember. You will absolutely LOVE Diamondback, btw.

I knew when we visited Cedar Point that Millennium and Top Thrill would be a no go for me, and I was right. After working up quite a sweat, I was able to get the test seatbelt buckled on Top Thrill, and the guy working the end of the line said that I should be able to make it, but when I got to the ride, I found the seat belt much tighter and had to take the walk of shame. Like I said though, I carry weight in the hip area which really hurts me on those rides; it seems like it's a proportion thing on both of them, so try out the test seats for sure. I also have to give five stars to two ride-ops who worked some serious magic by getting me into Wicked Twister. I had no problem with any of the flats like MaxAir, Sky Hawk, nor Power Tower.

At great Adventure I had no problem on Nitro, which is the greatest ride in the park. When we were getting on Bizarro my niece did give my restraint a shove so I could get it buckled, but I made it just fine. Batman was actually the tightest Batman ride I've ever ridden. The ride-op had to use some muscle to get me buckled, but again, I made it. As I expected, I did have trouble on El Toro. Again, I don't really have a protruding belly, so I'm sure it was the damn hips again...with my mouth getting some of the blame. I was able to get the seatbelt buckled but couldn't get the light for the lap bar to turn green. I probably could have made it with more ride-op magic, but the line was horrendous because in true Great Adventure fashion they were running it intermittently with only one train.

I've never been to Busch Gardens, so I can't help you there.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions about any specific rides, please post them. I'll keep checking back to help you out as much as I can.

I honestly don't think you'll have a problem. The main thing is just go and enjoy yourself!!

I just got back from a trip and had asked this exact question before I left. I absolutely feel your pain. I'm pretty big; I'm 6'2" and around a 44-46 inch waist and 48 to 50 inch chest and I'm just as proportioned in the hips. I really had no real problem at any of the parks.

At Kings Island the tightest rides are what you would expect. I was worried on Diamondback, but I was able to squeeze into it just fine. They say that all of the seats are the same, but I'm not sure that is the case. Rows 2, 4, and 6 I was able to get into without any problem. We decided to try the back and sat in row 14. I couldn't get the lap restraint down to where they wanted it on my own, and a ride-op had to give the bar a push to get it there. Firehawk was also definitely a bit more snug than the Superman rides I've ridden, but I got myself buckled just fine. The other two rides that seemed a little tight were Flight of Fear and Invertigo. Everything else was no problem that I can remember. You will absolutely LOVE Diamondback, btw.

I knew when we visited Cedar Point that Millennium and Top Thrill would be a no go for me, and I was right. After working up quite a sweat, I was able to get the test seatbelt buckled on Top Thrill, and the guy working the end of the line said that I should be able to make it, but when I got to the ride, I found the seat belt much tighter and had to take the walk of shame. Like I said though, I carry weight in the hip area which really hurts me on those rides; it seems like it's a proportion thing on both of them, so try out the test seats for sure. I also have to give five stars to two ride-ops who worked some serious magic by getting me into Wicked Twister. I had no problem with any of the flats like MaxAir, Sky Hawk, nor Power Tower.

At great Adventure I had no problem on Nitro, which is the greatest ride in the park. When we were getting on Bizarro my niece did give my restraint a shove so I could get it buckled, but I made it just fine. Batman was actually the tightest Batman ride I've ever ridden. The ride-op had to use some muscle to get me buckled, but again, I made it. As I expected, I did have trouble on El Toro. Again, I don't really have a protruding belly, so I'm sure it was the damn hips again...with my mouth getting some of the blame. I was able to get the seatbelt buckled but couldn't get the light for the lap bar to turn green. I probably could have made it with more ride-op magic, but the line was horrendous because in true Great Adventure fashion they were running it intermittently with only one train.

I've never been to Busch Gardens, so I can't help you there.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions about any specific rides, please post them. I'll keep checking back to help you out as much as I can.

I honestly don't think you'll have a problem. The main thing is just go and enjoy yourself!!

Thanks for this. Very helpful. I think in the past I've had problems mainly with B&Ms, which are my favourite, because of their bucket seats and my fat ass! I'm sure I'll be fine on the big boy seats but fingers crossed I can manage the standards ones too so that I get a chance to sit in the back and the front too.

With Cedar Point, try the test seat first. If it is close, go for it. I was maybe a half inch short on TTD and ended up just getting it clicked with the help of my friend. With M Force, I was a good 2 inches short and had no problem in the back row. Also, it does help to store things like a wallet in a l0cker. The $2 dollars they cost is good for one use, but they do not empty out the lockers until after close.

This is coming from someone with a 42-43 inch waste. I'm 5'7 so I am not much help on Wicked Twister, but I know I failed the test seat, but have never had a problem getting on an impulse coaster.

With Kings Island, no coaster was a problem at all. The worst was finding leg room in the Fairly Odd Coaster. Only one I have no clue about is Little Bill's Giggle Coaster.

I just saw this on Screamscape and wanted to give you a heads up for Busch Gardens.

Everyone knows that the bigger coaster lovers out there have issues when it comes to fitting into many Swiss designed roller coasters, like most of the fine machines at Busch Gardens from B&M, many requiring the use of one of the few “big boy” seats in each train. I’m not sure if this happened earlier this season or more recently, but a reliable source tells me that the seat-belts they encountered on Alpengeist appear to have been shortened quite a bit from their normal length from years past.

I'm a fairly good size guy myself - 275 and 6' - 42-44 inch waist.

I was just at Cedar Point monday - For me Dragster, M. Force, Whicked Twister, Mantis and Raptor were no-gos for me.

At that park I have come to terms with the fact they have rides I can't ride. Raptor was a bit of a shock as I last rode it in 2003 and was fine. I just rode Dominator in 2007 (I think that was my last prior B&M OTSR experience). As far as Mantis goes, I had a clue at SFKK earlier this season, when I had to struggle to get on Chang.

I think my answer is to avoid Cedar Point, as that is really the only park I have significant troubles with.

Cedar Point is good about putting test seats out in front of a lot of rides, which will at worst save you the time in queue since you can find out right away.

Know that I feel your pain and know that Walk of Shame. My cousin, who is 40lbs lighter than me and wears a 38 also failed the testers on MF, TTD, and Wicked Twister.

What is with those fluffy bunnies filled with goo?

I'm going to cedar point in about 1.5 weeks. I currently have been busting my butt to make sure I fit into these roller coasters.

I started off 5 weeks ago at a little over 300 and a 44'ish inch waist and 5'11-6'0, I am currently down to 265 and a 39" Waist. I'm hoping to drop 1 more inch off my waist and be able to ride everything. I had a 52" chest and it's probally 50" or less now since i've lost a good bit of weight.

I really hope I can ride everything, most people say if you have a 38" waist you have a solid shot at riding everything, hopefully I am built well enough to do this, or I better use these muscles I got to stretch that belt! What do you guys think?

I'm a fairly good size guy myself - 275 and 6' - 42-44 inch waist.

I was just at Cedar Point monday - For me Dragster, M. Force, Whicked Twister, Mantis and Raptor were no-gos for me.

At that park I have come to terms with the fact they have rides I can't ride. Raptor was a bit of a shock as I last rode it in 2003 and was fine. I just rode Dominator in 2007 (I think that was my last prior B&M OTSR experience). As far as Mantis goes, I had a clue at SFKK earlier this season, when I had to struggle to get on Chang.

I think my answer is to avoid Cedar Point, as that is really the only park I have significant troubles with.

Cedar Point is good about putting test seats out in front of a lot of rides, which will at worst save you the time in queue since you can find out right away.

Know that I feel your pain and know that Walk of Shame. My cousin, who is 40lbs lighter than me and wears a 38 also failed the testers on MF, TTD, and Wicked Twister.

What is with those fluffy bunnies filled with goo?

Sounds like I might have some trouble then. Fortunately I'm a little shorter than you so that might help. I remember going to Cedar Point the year Raptor opened. Someone had queued for over an hour only to be told he couldn't fit on and everyone cheered / laughed. Don't want that happening to me. At least there are the test seats I suppose

I'm going to cedar point in about 1.5 weeks. I currently have been busting my butt to make sure I fit into these roller coasters.

I started off 5 weeks ago at a little over 300 and a 44'ish inch waist and 5'11-6'0, I am currently down to 265 and a 39" Waist. I'm hoping to drop 1 more inch off my waist and be able to ride everything. I had a 52" chest and it's probally 50" or less now since i've lost a good bit of weight.

I really hope I can ride everything, most people say if you have a 38" waist you have a solid shot at riding everything, hopefully I am built well enough to do this, or I better use these muscles I got to stretch that belt! What do you guys think?

Problem is, it's not usually the waist that get's you on these rides. My "waist" is 40", but I've got the gut. And the problem is, when you sit, that gut is what the OTSR's/restraints are going to hit.

Good luck though.

I agree, it is completely how/where you carry your weight. When I was at a 40-42 inch waist I was able to get the restraint on the Millennium test seat buckled just fine. I've always carried my weight pretty evenly and don't have an extra big gut. I'm big in the hips, gut, and chest. I think since my weight was pretty evenly distributed I was able to squeeze into some rides. I've seen guys who seemed smaller than me have to take

"the walk." This year a guy had to get off of Diamondback and let his friends ride because after many tries the ride operators could not get the lap restraint down enough. We were next in line, and after I had the restraint down with no problem, I heard him say to a ride operator, "Well, you're letting him ride." I just ignored him and enjoyed the ride!

The main thing is just enjoy the rides you can get on, and don't worry about the rest. You will never see any of those people again, so don't worry about what others think. Just utilize all of the test seats; that's what they're there for. And please, if, for the love of all that's holy, there is some obnoxious kid playing in the test seat while you're standing there obviously wanting to try it out, give him a smack for me. Then, sit down and see how it fits. 99% of the time, if it's close, the ride ops can get you on the ride unless it is Millennium or TTD.

This year a guy had to get off of Diamondback and let his friends ride because after many tries the ride operators could not get the lap restraint down enough.

That's exactly what happened to me a few weeks ago. I've got wider hips and thighs than normal, but a 44-inch waist. That's what gives me the most problems. The seats on DB were deep enough, but I couldn't get my ass down into it enough for the lapbar to lock - I had trouble squeezing in width-wise. Those extensions along the side of the B&M seats sit right where my hips are, so its hard for me to get down into them. PTC trains are a little bit of a squeeze, but I can push my legs down so the lapbar locks. And only enough, I have no problems whatsoever on the Arrow OTSRs. Even though I have a bit of a gut, Arrows lock with plenty of extra room.

I hear that, as one who needs to use the test seats, there is nothing more frustrating than to wait in line to use said test seat when you are behind two people who have no chance of being rejected. Or the kids who think they are toys, or the parents who think a photo of their little darling in the test seat would be so cute.

I know at Hershey I could not fit into a big seat at the Great Bear so most B&M's would be a problem with me right? I am going to Kennywood this Summer and I may try the Phantom's Revenge Does anyone have any pictures of the restraints and seat on it and I wonder if it would be a problem. I would hate to wait in line and not be able to ride.

^No picture, but Phantom is very forgiving for larger people. It has a completely different restraint than any coaster I've ever ridden; it has a lap bar that lowers from the side. I'm not sure how big you are, but if you were even close on Great Bear, you probably won't have a problem. Last year I was around 325 pounds, a 46 inch waist, and an even bigger derrier and fit fine on Phantom and everything else at Kennywood.

Just a quick question as well - I won the Screamscape ticket giveaway to Dollywood, so I'll likely be making a trip there later this season. I have a 42-44 inch waist and am around 270 pounds. Given my problems at KI a few weekends ago, I was wondering if I can expect any problems at DW. I know I'll get into TN Tornado fine, but never having ridden a GCI or a Gerstlauer before, I don't know how forgiving they are. If MF trains are anything like PTC's I might have some problems. If anyone has any info that'd be great.

^^I think you will be fine on Thunderhead. I didn't have any problem on the MF trains at any of the parks we visited my whole trip. One ride that might give you difficulty is Mystery Mine. On that ride it really seems to depend on where your gut sits. I did see several people have to walk through. A word of advice: on that ride try sitting in the middle seats, especially the second seat from the right of the train. There were several times that the ride-ops would play musical chairs with the riders, with the larger person almost always ending up in the second seat from the right. One positive thing about the OTSR restraints on MM that surprised me was that there was ample shoulder room.

Sorry about being so analytical about rows and seats in my posts on this thread, but I just really stress out when I'm getting on a ride that I know is going to be tight, and I try to watch and study where my big brethren are having more or less difficulty. My friends who I frequent parks with used to make fun of how serious I would suddenly be once we entered the station. Now, they've become experts at watching where to sit as well so that I can relax a little.

The bad thing about being close to fitting the restraints at Dollywood is that Dollywood has some of the greatest amusement park food! My suggestion would be to get to the park early and ride everything as many times as you want to ride it then spend the rest of the day filling your gut with all of the delicious delicacies they have to offer. If you need to kill time between food choices, slug around on the train or watch a show for a while.

The main thing about Dollywood is you will have a great time.

Going to the park today, riding tommorrow. I got down to 259 and then I took the past few days off, so i'm back at 265 fro mwater weight + probally a bit from all the delicious food I ate. Water weight comes back like whoa.

I'll let you guys know how it goes, my waist still feels about 39".

Good luck!! I really hope you make it, and let us know how it goes.

I've gotten out my TPR videos again. They helped me lose the 54 pounds I lost between January and June of this year, but since vacation I kind of fell off the wagon. Hell, I fell off, was drug for a while, and when I caught up to it, I ate it. LOL

Anyway, when I watch my TPR videos and they give me the incentive to keep on the straight and narrow by showing me what the payoff is going to be.

For B&M Hypers....it's mainly about the thighs. That's the number one thing that causes guys and girls to not fit in the seat. The lap bar comes down onto the thighs and the waist.

At Diamondback you need three clicks in order to ride.

I fit everything fine. I almost missed the wicked twister since I have a large chest but I pulled the restraint down and a worker hooked it in. I had about 1-2 inches on MF and 1 inch on TTD. I rode all the rides a few times except maverick and WT. It's easy for me to pull it and for the person to snap me in, its hard to aim the thing with how much of the seat I take up (no space for my hands really). I was able to snap myself in, but it's just easier to get them too help (haha i got lazy after the 3rd time I guess)

BTW, take the time to ride in the front row every time.

I can totally see big thighs stopping you btw, mine are respectable but nothing crazy, and the belt definately had to work with them, I am more wide than big belly'd and that has its downsides when you fill up the seat widthwise haha.