TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Toft's & America's Roller Coast

^ Yeah, I know. I just really liked the idea of CP plopping down some random theming, RCT-style, in order to increase the excitement level.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

/Go to Toft's!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting TR, to say the least. When I rode Maverick, I found the transitions for the inversions amazingly smooth while the quick cuts from one vert banked turn to another hurt like hell due to those thin OTSRs. I still thought it was great though

As for the "check," our SOPs instruct us at Knott's to say "check" when we check the seats, and now come to think of it, they are all dated sometime 2001. For a regular sitdown ride (ie, Montezomma's Revenge, Xcelerator, Ghostrider, etc.), it makes sense, but we have to say "check" on Pony Express, where we end up telling the person behind the seat we are checking that the person in front of them is good. Weirdness

And I hate to say it Electrik, but coasters were generally not designed with larger people in mind, so the fact that you were squeezed into a few seats at CP might have as much to do with your ICE membership as it does the park's, state's, and manufacturer's policies.

And I hate to say it Electrik, but coasters were generally not designed with larger people in mind, so the fact that you were squeezed into a few seats at CP might have as much to do with your ICE membership as it does the park's, state's, and manufacturer's policies.

Well, sure. And yet, I have no problems on any other ride at any other park. So why bring the state and manufacturers into it when it's obviously just Cedar Point?

In any case, I can still ride everything there. It's just worrisome, at times. I saw lots of people turned away on this visit who really weren't that big. And it wasn't always this way.

Let's face it: Cedar Point has, over time, adopted a much narrower definition of "average" than any other park. I suppose that's their prerogative. But I also don't see any reason why I shouldn't complain about it.

/Could stand to lose a few pounds.

//No amount a weight I could lose would make riding Wicked Twister any easier.

Great TR!! My favorite photo hands down is the shot of Cedar Point's Skyline. If you think about all the parks that you've been to, Cedar Point probably has the best skyline especially on a clear day with the blue sky above and the blue water below. Simply breathtaking for any enthusiast.

Thanks for the post. CP is my favorite park of all time and I love when TR are posted about it as it brings back many memories of traveling there every year.

-Chris-

Fair enough Kinda funny too I only even brought that up because we have to turn a few larger folk away at Knott's as well, but there are a few seats for "larger guests" put into the ride. Then there is Pony Express, the ride built by Italians for Italians

I have never met someone who did not like Maverick!! I was so shocked!

Yes, well, Misty and I seemed to be the only ones. Everyone around us loved it. *shrugs* I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

On a side note: It's funny to me how many enthusiasts seem to think that Millennium Force is "overrated," yet it placed #2 in the US in Mitch's most recent Steel Coaster Poll. Kind of makes me wonder what "overrated" even means....

I think Maverick is okay, and that's only because of the "Mr. Freeze" part. I think that Maverick is very overrated though for what it is. I think coasters at Cedar Point might finish higher than another park just because it's the park that has the most roller coasters. So, more coaster enthusiasts are going to go to that park than a park that has 7 roller coasters. So, that's how Millennium Force can be at number 2. Are you telling me that Superman: Ride of Steel at Six Flags America, or Goliath at Six Flags Over Georgia aren't better than MF? It's people's opinions, but oh well.

I love bigger walkways at an amusement park. Over Texas has a bad section of the park (near the Gunslinger - Yo-Yo) that when the park isn't even that crowded, that you just can't move at all. Disney World has horrible walkways. The people never want to move, and the place is just jammed everywhere. I rather take the train to the other side of the park than walk. Sure, they could have put more bushes, but come on.

I don't care about Millennium Force, but that shirt looks really good. It has a nice design.

I think Cedar Point has gotten to be what it is because they don't take down roller coasters. They just build other rides because the park is so big. At Great America, they took down Rolling Thunder to put in Viper, and the Southwest Territory. Cedar Point doesn't have to take down Disaster Transport. I'm sure that a ride like Wildcat was at an amusement park before, and it got replaced by something bigger. My point is that the park has a lot of roller coasters, but some of them are aging. They didn't have to take them down, so they just left them up.

I think it's a great park, but yet at the same time when I first visited I was expecting more of the 17 roller coasters to be better than what they were.

I think coasters at Cedar Point might finish higher than another park just because it's the park that has the most roller coasters. So, more coaster enthusiasts are going to go to that park than a park that has 7 roller coasters. So, that's how Millennium Force can be at number 2. Are you telling me that Superman: Ride of Steel at Six Flags America, or Goliath at Six Flags Over Georgia aren't better than MF? It's people's opinions, but oh well.

Normally, I would agree with you regarding the inherent inaccuracy of polls. However, in this case, I was referring to Mitch Hawker's poll, which specifically corrects for such things: 2008 Steel Coaster Results

Note that Superman Ride of Steel at SFNE did come in first.

I think it's a great park, but yet at the same time when I first visited I was expecting more of the 17 roller coasters to be better than what they were.

Yea, I kinda felt the same way. I really liked the park overall, but MF, Maverick, TTD, Raptor, and Blue Streak were really the only coasters worth riding again and again. Speaking of Maverick, the first time I rode it I wasn't that blown away, but the more times I went on the more it really grew on me. It's one of those coasters you have to lean into the transitions, otherwise you will get beaten up.

This probably has to be the BEST Cedar Point PTR I've seen so far this season! This really has me hyped up to get back up this August! I remember alot of that stuff but I really do think the park looks alot better now. Planet Snoopy definitely outdoes Bearentein Bear Country any day! I'm also sorry to hear that you didn't care for Maverick. I'm actually excited about riding that one and comparing it to Fahrenheit. They both look very similar and the trains pretty much identical.

By the way, was that skyline pic taken from a place called "Battery Park"? I ask because some people here and over at Coaster-Net have suggested I go there for some skyline shots the night before I go to the park itself. After seeing that shot, that will even make that spot more exciting to get some pics!

This probably has to be the BEST Cedar Point Photo TR I've seen so far this season!

Wait...they've only been open, like, three weeks.

By the way, was that skyline pic taken from a place called "Battery Park"?

Yes. If you look at a map of the area, there are actually lots of places to view Cedar Point from Sandusky's downtown coastline. But Battery Park is the easiest to access and to get an unobstructed view from (that I've found).

I totally agree with you regarding their use (overuse) of seatbelts or lengthy ones at that. Last summer while in Columbus for the softball nationals, we ventured to C.P. as opposed to King's Island which was actually closer, but I wanted my wife and daughter to experience Millenium Force. Well after a lengthy wait and counting only 2 trains, we finally got to the station. After I get myself settled in, I notice that my wife is leaving the station. She had to leave because the belt (or lack thereof) didn't fit. Don't get me wrong,She's not large but big arond the middle which is where the belt fits. The bottom line was that she didn't get to ride and there was no concern for my daughter who had to ride alone for the first time. Needless to say, we left because she has never been so humiliated in her life. After calling C.P. on their policy and unprofessionalism,(safety requirements or some other bullshit), I finally decided we should have gone to King's Island instead and I love Cedar Point. So maybe the concern for their patrons is no longer a priority. Just as long as your in the park. Very Disappointed.....

^ Awesome! My plan is to draw positive attention to Toft's until it can expand to someplace I'd actually want to live, and then move there.

/Been talking up Toft's for years. I guess it just took a photo TR.

^ Awesome! My plan is to draw positive attention to Toft's until it can expand to someplace I'd actually want to live, and then move there.

Been talking up Toft's for years. I guess it just took a photo TR.

I LOVE Toft's!

I went to the Sandusky Factory location and had a small orange-pineapple. I seriously had a pint of ice cream for $2.55! The prices at the factory and at Cedar Point are surprisingly very similar ($2.55 verses $2.99). I am so glad that they brought Toft's back to the park after having Ben & Jerry's for a few seasons.

• 4 weeks later...

MF is at the top of my steel coaster ladder as well, although probably soon to be surpassed by a bunch of other new steelies!

And to each their own, but I can't think of anyone else I know who thinks Maverick "sucks". Probably just not your type of ride or you're not so good with those Intamin OSTRs.

Joseph "You're in the Maverick Sucks Club all by yourself!" Frombaugh

And to each their own, but I can't think of anyone else I know who thinks Maverick "sucks". Probably just not your type of ride or you're not so good with those Intamin OSTRs.

The OTSRs seemed okay, for OTSRs. The transitions were just nasty. I can't even imagine how bad they would be with traditional OTSRs. But it was more the seat horn that was really uncomfortable for me.

"You're in the Maverick Sucks Club all by yourself!"

No, my girlfriend hated it, too.

Anyway, I fully admit it. Its not you, Maverick. It's me. It's just never going to work out between us. We're too different. I'm...I'm sorry.

• 3 weeks later...