TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no doubt they didn't do the job they should have, especially once they started running either one side or the other. That being said from what I've heard about the sort of construction CCI was doing by this time, coupled with the strong laterals in the design and the Gerst trains, I'd bet you anything after a couple of years keeping these things running was probably getting to be a massive pain in the a$$. At least compared to the other woodie next door, and I'd bet all three had seen declining ridership around this time

CCI was doing some odd things around then, for example a lot of their rides had strong laterals and I had heard a rumor once that the lack of banking meant they only had to use one ledger (6x12 piece of wood) throughout these turns instead of what's called a "y-ledger" which would be two pieces of wood. The ledgers are the most expensive individual pieces of wood on the ride and by only using half of what they needed they could then cut costs. Now, I'm sure the y-ledgers didn't considerably cut back on costs, but it was one of many things going on to get the costs of their rides way down. So, perhaps the un-banked turns on CCI's weren't so much a thrill factor, but more of a "keep costs down" thing...

Twisted Sisters (Twins) didn't have a single y-ledger on the whole ride is what reminded me of this.

Thunder Run doesn't have a second train. They used to have footers for a transfer track in the ground next to the brake run, but I'm not sure if they've removed them or covered them up.

Wow. The Rapids MIGHT be the best ride in the park.

Okay, fine: The rapids ride is the best ride in the park. Better?

/But this is the only park where I think so.

//Well, maybe Animal Kingdom before Expedition Everest.

Your right they are lol.

I went Friday to get my friend in for free with those coupons they give Season Pass holders and i rode Thunder Run and omg that was just horrible. They made some track repairs over like 15% of the ride and it was so rough. Even in the places these repairs were made, it was still super rough. Add that to flying off a half rough section into a 100% rough area and its painful. And to worsen it, they had it running like 10-15 MPH faster then they usually run it so it was even worse.

I didnt even consider riding T2. and Greezed lighting was closed, their last roller coaster, which isnt a surprise because the ride is closed about 40% of the time due to a break down or something. Now do you all believe me this park needs a new ride or something? I mean its pretty bad when your entire waterpark is better then the whole rest of the park.

Oh and I do believe Thunder Run ran a second train 2-3 years ago but now its down to 1. Which makes me hate the ride even more because the seats are so odd, they have a divider int he middle, and if you have long legs, the lap bar basically will smash them and your arms will get smashed by the divider.

Also, the park since its close the the Louisville intl airport, it has a height restriction, and we are out of room basically. Which i hate because now they are destroying Twisted Twins, and the Log ride. The drag racers have been closed though for about 4 years or so. hopefully they will do something with it. what they should do, is take down the pink version of Twisted twins, and sell it to get some money off it, and then sell the log ride and the drag cars. The blue version of Twisted Twins was the only one that was ever smooth and didnt kill you when you rode it. that back section has so much potential though -.-

^ I thought Thunder Run was okay. But then, I only rode it once and purposely in the front seat--my usual strategy for woodies that I expect to be rough.

Oh, and I thought I knew what the layout was from having rode The Hurler at Carowinds, so imagine my surprise when the second hill suddenly jogged right! Best part of the ride, says I.

Ahh i just thought they both was yellow. I used to only cross over to the exit when i was like 10 so guess i started riding it after the red car was removed they still need it though. Personally, they need to close thunder run and reopen twisted twins in my opinion. I always thought Twisted Twins was alot better. Id say Thunder Run is good but right now, its a stretch unless they completely finish all the track replacement. I'll still ride it even without it but never two times in a row.

I found the blue side of Twisted Twins to be alot better. The pink, go ahead and tear it down, its like a miniature SOB.

I like it better since it had a better seat layout, no humongous divider squishing you, the lap bar felt better then thunder runs though i do prefer thunder runs handles on its bar, and it seemed to be a whole lot smoother. The pink was just about the opposite.

I just wish they would open the back section up for at least a day before they tear them down so i can get my last ride in on all of the rides.

^Thank you. I was about to post the same thing...

Footers were poured so that if the park eventually wanted to add a second train (like The Raven did), they could. This never happened, though, and instead the path that connects the Belgian Village to PBL and T2 was placed there.

Really good TR, Erik!

Nikki and I visited SFKK just over three years ago, and we kinda thought the same thing as you. We did get luckier in that there were about 2,000 people in the entire park so everything was a walk-on.

But it's a drab park with an odd layout, no sense of personality, no idea on theming, no identity - it's basically a state fair with a 'Six Flags' stuck onto the front of it.

We thought the employees were generally disinterested and slow but didn't have any bad experiences with them. The coasters are a mediocre collection with the stand-out clearly being Chang - which I thought was miles ahead of Mantis in terms of comfort, forces, and re-rideability.

Anyways, good pictures and good TR!!!

Also hats off to Mark for his great details about some SFKK history on a previous page!

I was at KK about a month ago on a sunday and there was hardly anyone in the actual theme park, everyone was in the waterpark which was good so I didn't have to wait for T2, I think this place does have so much potential but doesn't do anything about it. I really enjoyed Thunder Run and didn't find it to be rough at all....

I think they have a really bad one train op problem and the STOP accident just killed them.

^The park really hasn't been doing TOO much worse since then...

Of course the rest of that year was bad, and in 2008 they removed their best flat...so given the circumstances, I'd say the park is doing alright.

But Splashwater Kingdom is definitely the main draw.

Ugh...(proof that you really have no clue what you're talking about.)

Rainbow closed in 2009. S:TOP closed in 2008.

Oh, and Rainbow was a really fun flat---very similar to the Falling Star rides.

Well I apologize. I never spent much time at this park, as it is always too hot (no shade) and not enough to do. If you ask me, the $5.00 admission price advertised on TV here ($29.99 for 6 admissions) is too steep. I'll drive the extra hour to Holiday World. It's a shame since the park could be good, but I'm afraid it'll go the way of Geauga Lake and soon only be a waterpark.

-James Dillaman